2017 Ram 2500 - Post Divorce Therapy

jerstw

Adventurer
Looking good, nice wood working skills....

Thanks, but I assure you am just skilled enough to apply wood glue...my Dad is a retired engineer with OCD and a hobby of machining and woodworking. Has been a good project, I tell him what I want the end result to be and he ponders things for a day and then tells me what to do and how to do it...pretty much the same as it was when I was a kid in his woodshop.

Explorerinil

Observer
Thanks, and yes...front bumper, rear bumper if / when they finally release it, and maybe the snorkel (my son loves the snorkel but practically when the heck am I going to bury this thing in water up to the intake?).

The front bumpers are on backorder on the AEV site so will keep checking when they get back in stock. Rear bumper timing who knows...they haven't released the full details on this one yet.
Front bumper looks, functions and fits great, rear is almost ready, mady look at expedition one rear bumper, I like the swing out and storage better than the rear aev. I got the raised air intake, it's not really for water but for dust, the Cummins likes th cold air and getting plenty of it, plus with the exhaust brake on it sounds cool... it's just hard to drill a big hole in a new fender.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Very nice build. Subscribed. . . . (and as I don't plan on a divorce :sombrero: , my excursions into AEV parts bins will not be so bold or frequent!)

Appreciated reading about the AEV Procal. Was not aware of that part and the Toyo's I am running are causing the TPMS fits as previously noted in your thread. (Sure would be nice if FIA/RAM allowed a reset from the dash as does other vehicle manufacturers.)

A recent trip in my own project to Palo Duro Canyon, Texas panhandle. Not quite the GC, but a lot closer drive and still very inspiring.

Keep your updates coming!

Palo Duro 1.jpg

Palo Duro 2.jpg

jerstw

Adventurer
Yeah the "big hole" in the fender would be a 'puckering' moment.

Thanks Gary. The AEV ProCal is pretty slick just know the TPMS adjustment is a 2 part process...the ProCal plus you need to have a dealership 'program' the changes with a WinTech or WyTech (sorry I cannot remember) tool. As I understand it that last part at the dealership allows the changes to be "accepted" into the EVIC in the Ram. I am running mine at 35psi front and 30 in the back...ride's MUCH nicer and MPG doesn't seem any worse for the wear. Nice Mega Cab and cool views in your photos.

warwickscout

Observer
I just did my tpms.there is a guy on the ram forums that rents the tablet that does booth parts .he will ship you the tablet his web site is tehann.wixsite/tracytruck

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
jerstw said:
Thanks Gary. The AEV ProCal is pretty slick just know the TPMS adjustment is a 2 part process...the ProCal plus you need to have a dealership 'program' the changes with a WinTech or WyTech (sorry I cannot remember) tool. As I understand it that last part at the dealership allows the changes to be "accepted" into the EVIC in the Ram. I am running mine at 35psi front and 30 in the back...ride's MUCH nicer and MPG doesn't seem any worse for the wear. Nice Mega Cab and cool views in your photos.

Thanks for the compliments. I really like the way you've gone with yours.

The direction you're taking yours is envious. (I pine for AEV products!) I don't "need" an AEV snorkel but then I didn't "need" a diesel either. :sombrero:

Copy on the the two-part process involving the Witech. Which leads me to ->

warwickscout said:
I just did my tpms.there is a guy on the ram forums that rents the tablet that does booth parts .he will ship you the tablet his web site is tehann.wixsite/tracytruck

Awesome! I will definately check this out. Thanks for the intel (and apologies for the brief hi-jack!)

Last edited:

Big Ern

Jerstw,

Great build. You and I are on a pretty similar build right now. I have a 2017 RAM 2500 crew cab diesel, as well. Went with ARE z-series topper, Method NV heavy duty wheels (18") and Toyo MT tires in 285/75/18. I am torn on 2 items at the moment which you have done/are doing:

1) Bumper: AEV vs. the ARB. I love the styling of the AEV, but it concerns me a bit b/c of the lack of protection on the intercooler for the new rams and it also doesn't have bull bar for additional protection like the ARB (or other offerings i.e. RH, etc.);

2) Suspension: Again, the thought process and design behind the AEV is interesting, but at the end of the day you are getting modded Bilstein 5100 shocks. I am concerned about ride quality for the price of the system. I think I will wait and wait for a long-term review from you and others before I make a decision as I am not a desert racer and mainly log long miles on the highway to get to light offroading for hunting/camping, etc. I believe Thuren can get me exactly what I want, but it will be pricey.

Two mods I recently did that were cheap (relatively) and very effective: (1) AEV mudflaps. Work great. (2) Baja Designs fog light pocket kit for the Ram 2500. I mounted 2 squadron sports in each fog light pocket. I opted to put them on a separate switches. The light output on these cubes is amazing.

Looking forward to the rest of your build.

jerstw

Adventurer
Gary - Yeah, the "need" aspects of making a truck / rig they way we want them is always a struggle...at least for me it has been.

Big Ern - Thanks, sounds like you are got a sweet set up in progress; loved the Method NV's I had on my last truck...still one of my favorite wheels on the market. ARE makes nice stuff and glad to see they started offering the 'no trim' edge on the lower portion of the topper. 100% agree on your comments on the AEV bumper. If I were not strongly considering a future move to 40" tires with the AEV flares I would give the ARB one more consideration. I do appreciate the extra protection the ARB offers and at one point thought the guys at AEV said they were coming out with optional grill protection for theirs in addition to just the light bar tube but have yet to see that come to fruition. Also, for additional intercooler protection take a look at ASFIR. Never seen them in person but they seem to be the only option for a complete Ram HD skid plate 'package' and they do have an intercooler one (I think one of the guys on here just bought one for his newer Ram). Sounds like you have to ship it in from the middle east.

DPP and AEV both claim to be working on external res shocks specifically for the AEV 3"...DPP is stated to be using Fox components not sure on AEV's approach as they have been tight lipped on this one, at least on their forum. Our intended usage sounds very similar and I have ridden in a Carli equipped truck and it was an awesome ride, I mainly went with the AEV route as I wanted to keep the core payload capabilities of the truck (slide in camper perhaps down the road) and I didn't want to mess with air bags. Also, I appreciate the 'eco-system' approach AEV takes...wheels, flares, bumpers, suspension, ProCal, etc...everything just fits and works in harmony. Lazy approach on my part but it works for my needs / wants...that being said I would be interested in them offering a DOT-legal beadlock.

I agree...I was never a fan of mudflaps before but I love the AEV ones...coverage is spot on for the 37x12.50's and they are not obnoxiously larger. That Baja Design pocket light kit looks awesome and I was considering that for when the bumper comes; have heard elsewhere the light output is "INSANE", glad to hear you validate that. Did you do them on a separate switch because of the 2017's CAN bus requirement / design? I've seen those OE adaptors that light you just plug and play with the Baja lights but have read they don't work on the 2017 and newer Ram's. Also, do you have any close up photos of the mounting bracket in the factory bumper you would post on here?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Jerstw,

Great build. You and I are on a pretty similar build right now. I have a 2017 RAM 2500 crew cab diesel, as well. Went with ARE z-series topper, Method NV heavy duty wheels (18") and Toyo MT tires in 285/75/18. I am torn on 2 items at the moment which you have done/are doing:

1) Bumper: AEV vs. the ARB. I love the styling of the AEV, but it concerns me a bit b/c of the lack of protection on the intercooler for the new rams and it also doesn't have bull bar for additional protection like the ARB (or other offerings i.e. RH, etc.);

2) Suspension: Again, the thought process and design behind the AEV is interesting, but at the end of the day you are getting modded Bilstein 5100 shocks. I am concerned about ride quality for the price of the system. I think I will wait and wait for a long-term review from you and others before I make a decision as I am not a desert racer and mainly log long miles on the highway to get to light offroading for hunting/camping, etc. I believe Thuren can get me exactly what I want, but it will be pricey.

Two mods I recently did that were cheap (relatively) and very effective: (1) AEV mudflaps. Work great. (2) Baja Designs fog light pocket kit for the Ram 2500. I mounted 2 squadron sports in each fog light pocket. I opted to put them on a separate switches. The light output on these cubes is amazing.

Thuren's 2" lift kit is pretty inexpensive and well designed. Don or Aaron are real helpful.
The ARB bumpers provide zero protection for the intercooler,radiator etc. for the 3rd gens. Sounds like they continued the under inadequate engineering into the 4ths.

Big Ern

I may wait and see if AEV comes out with a resi shock option, but AEV seems to take a very long time to get items to market. I don't know if I want to wait that long. I understand the whole design, r&d thing (I'm in manufacturing), but these guys sure do take their sweet time. If there isn't a market for an item that is a different issue.

I will try and take some pics of the mounting bracket on the BD fog light kit tomorrow when I have some time. I got 2 different squadron beams (wide cornering for the 2 outside lights and spot for the 2 inner). I put each set on a separate switch so I didn't have to mess with the canbus issue, as well as have the ability to run 1 set at a time or both (with or without high beams). BD light output is pretty crazy. I am sold on BD products.
Ram duck hunting.jpgRam 1.jpgRam fog lights.jpg

Big Ern

Intereting re: ARB intercooler protection. Inthought that was one of the positives (understanding Ihaven’t seen one in person and online photos are lcking). AEV intercooler protection is nonexistent. Do you have any other suggestions for the 4gen Rams?

Explorerinil

Observer
Jerstw,

Can you post a pic of the are topper? I just ordered one. I really like the fit and look of the aev bumper, I have not had any issues with the inter cooler. As far as suspension, on my build I went carli since I run miles down washboard roads and run through really ruff fields getting to hunting spots, carli rides 100% better than stock or an aev suspension equipped ram. The downside to carli besides cost is that you don't get added clearance from moving the axle 1 inch forward like aev. I often tow 10k, I have no issues with carli, towing is very controlled but I have rear air bags and daystar cardles. AEV suspension has worked well for people, but there is people out there with trac bar problems and steering tre bushing problems. I am not knocking the AEV suspension, it just didn't fit what I do.

Explorerinil

Observer
Thuren's 2" lift kit is pretty inexpensive and well designed. Don or Aaron are real helpful.
The ARB bumpers provide zero protection for the intercooler,radiator etc. for the 3rd gens. Sounds like they continued the under inadequate engineering into the 4ths.

Thuren makes awesome stuff, I have been running his parts since he was a member on pavementsucks and started making parts. I ran his 2 inch coils on my 14 2500, handled awesome rode great.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
At the end of the day, the AEV kit is a fancy spacer kit. Most spacers ride worse than stock. The AEV brackets fix that. It will ride like stock, just taller. Correspondingly, it will tow like stock.

I went with the Thuren 1.75 3500 coils (3500s sit .5" higher than 2500s) and their custom valved Fox 2.0s with Toyo MT 315/70r18s (36x13s). I have the Carli mini packs and their custom valved Fox 2.0s on the way for the rear. If it sags too much with a trailer I can always add bags. I promise this setup will ride better than an AEV setup. The coil and shock change was a substantial change from stock as I ran just the new tires with the stock coils for about a week so was able to compare them to the Thurens.

For the price of the AEV setup you can have a pretty awesome Carli or Thuren setup with substantially better shocks that will blow it out of the water IF you don't need to tow heavy. I see only two reasons to go AEV and that is if you buy it from a dealer that way so you can have a full warranty or if you want the full towing capacity without bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles