First gen for panamerican journey?

oside7even6ixty

Re

Ive, seen stuff about the swap...need to do more research on that as that could probably be the best of option, do you have to cut into the floor board for the 4x4 shifter?

Maintenance on the truck is all good, had the timing belt done by the dealer before I bought it. Slowly going through it while I can. Suspension is priority right now, the arb bumper is too heavy for the springs on the bilsteins.

Btw are you on dr? If so I think I bought a 10inch jl sub off you a few years back haha!

Yea I'm on Dezert rangers.....although rarely now a days......

Pretty sure that 4x4 swap is all bolt on? You on Tacoma world? That's were i get a lot of info! That an good ole google

On the sleeping situation I got a fiberglass camper shell an a rtt over it, def recommend rtt, but if you got $$$$ to burn those 4 wheel campers are cool but prepare to pay.......like @bajasurfrig said those called campers are cool too, kinda hard to find good used one sometimes

An for shocks go with some 2.5 shocks all the way around night an day compared to anything else

@bajasurfrig how is it down there? How far down did you make it? I'm assuming you've been scoring in the wave department.... Was hopin to see some updates of your journey on your build thread....

Last edited:

txmxer

TxMxer,

I have been down in Baja for 4 months with my girl in a first gen Tacoma extra cab with a Callen camper and a drawer system. I have ran into alot of travelers (heaps of Aussie's) heading north on their PanAmerican adventure and have traded stories over campfires and beers. Yes there are waves off of the beaten path that weather depending will need 4wd but most of the spots are reasonably accessible with 2wd+locker and good driving.

I think that you should consider getting a taller camper shell or a pop top for the adventure. Even my reasonably tall Callen (I can sit up inside of it with our bed/ couch system) feels cramped on days when the wind is howling and we read/ play board games inside. The reason that a pop up would be rad if you can swing it is you can leave your bed made everyday (currently we make and unmake our bed every morning which can get old after a while). Also shade is king when you are waiting for the tide to drop while trying to stay out of the sun. I have two awnings and wish that I had gotten one more before I left. Also get a screen room for one of your awnings. We only screened in the back of the camper and have had to stay in there to avoid swarms of bees and mozzies on occasion.

We are running a fantastic fan and it is a life saver. I would highly recommend one of these if you decided to get a second battery (definitely not for everyone due to added cost, weight and complexity).

Retrospectively I wish that I had gotten a slightly bigger truck for this adventure (I am 6'2") as the Tacoma can feel a bit cramped at times sleeping and driving for me. If you are set on the truck roll with it; if you have an inkling of doubt get a low mileage, well maintained T100 or Tundra first gen 4wd and through a used Four Wheel Camper in the back and call it done. Yes the Tacoma is bomber and rarely gets stuck but it is a mini truck and that will get to you over time. Hope my rant helps you y buenas suerte con su viaje!

Awesome, thats the exact kind of advice I was looking for since you did the same travels with the same vehicle. I think the option of a pop up camper would be awesome, or even custom building a little cab over camper thats taller. I could definitely see wanting more headroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94