First gen for panamerican journey?

txmxer

Hello everyone, Im in the early, early, early stages of planning and slowly building a vehicle for my dream journey. Not new to building trucks, but I am new to building one for these purposes.

I went from wanting to do this trip on a motorcycle, to possibly a westfalia (knowing all the repairs and breakdowns I would have along the way lol), but right now I have a first gen access cab tacoma.

Im wondering if any of you have done the same journey with the same vehicle and any tips?

I think my current tacoma has plenty of pros as far as blending in, reliability, etc.

But the con, im 2wd with an e locker which makes me apprehensive to build this vehicle, but the plus would be that I can drive it for a while and know it's quirks and know it inside and out. So lets stick with this truck for now.
Mods so far are: aftermarket ucas/coilovers getting installed soon, shell, all terrains, winch, and arb bump

Did you guys find that a regular shell with a sleeping platform got the job done? Or better off getting a very small camper for the bed of the truck?
I know the truck is capable so I guess I'm asking, what were the pros and cons of using this specific platform or similar in your opinion for international overlanding

JaredNorthway

For the specific platform (2WD First gen) the only pro over a 4WD vehicle in my opinion is less complexity which means less to go wrong in a mechanical failure. With that being said If you are going to be attempting any trail driving or adverse conditions its better to be able to stick it in 4WD as opposed to struggle with 2WD.

As for the 1st gen being a good overlanding platform in general...in my opinion it makes for a good platform with a reliable engine and fairly robust chassis. I think the biggest reason why people would look beyond the first gen is finding a lower mileage one that doesn't require as much maintenance off the bat but the biggest drawback could be the size. I struggle with the same thing in my 3rd gen pickup which is a little smaller than your truck. When it comes to camping or overlanding and not having a lot of secure and dry room in an extended cab without opting to go with a canopy.

txmxer

For the specific platform (2WD First gen) the only pro over a 4WD vehicle in my opinion is less complexity which means less to go wrong in a mechanical failure. With that being said If you are going to be attempting any trail driving or adverse conditions its better to be able to stick it in 4WD as opposed to struggle with 2WD.

As for the 1st gen being a good overlanding platform in general...in my opinion it makes for a good platform with a reliable engine and fairly robust chassis. I think the biggest reason why people would look beyond the first gen is finding a lower mileage one that doesn't require as much maintenance off the bat but the biggest drawback could be the size. I struggle with the same thing in my 3rd gen pickup which is a little smaller than your truck. When it comes to camping or overlanding and not having a lot of secure and dry room in an extended cab without opting to go with a canopy.

Thanks for the reply! I totally agree, the only pro to 2wd is that I already have the truck. I bought it with low mileage and jumped on the deal, wishing it was 4x4 but knowing it was a good vehicle for what I need right now. I have the diff locker and I'm willing to upgrade to air lockers, experienced in driving offroad, will be airing down, and hopefully won't get myself into any situations (but theres always that chance).

I surf so I do want to be able to get to the beach quite a bit.

As far as space, thats a good point as well. But I wouldnt want any bigger of a truck honestly. The tacoma is so narrow and nimble I think thats an advantage. I will be doing the trip solo or ideally with one other friend so between the two of us I think we can make the space work with a roof rack and the sleeping platform I have in there as of now.

My ideal rig would have to be a 4x4 2nd gen tacoma or 1st generation tundra with a flatbed and a camper on the back.

JaredNorthway

If I were you, before you spend a lot of money upgrading the 2WD truck take a look and see what the cost difference would be for a 4WD similar condition truck. Starting off with the right platform can make a world of difference especially if you’re talking about investing more money.

If you could find a 1st gen 4WD truck maybe with a couple more miles on the clock if it means bringing the price closer to what you have I’d recommend going that route. Or you could even potentially look into a late model T100, they could be option with a 5VZ, 5 speed, 4WD and extended cab configuration but were rather forgotten about which means more bang for your buck.

txmxer

If I were you, before you spend a lot of money upgrading the 2WD truck take a look and see what the cost difference would be for a 4WD similar condition truck. Starting off with the right platform can make a world of difference especially if you're talking about investing more money.

If you could find a 1st gen 4WD truck maybe with a couple more miles on the clock if it means bringing the price closer to what you have I'd recommend going that route. Or you could even potentially look into a late model T100, they could be option with a 5VZ, 5 speed, 4WD and extended cab configuration but were rather forgotten about which means more bang for your buck.

The only thing is my truck has 80,000 miles on it and is in really good condition. You do have a good point. If I were to go that route, I think I would do exactly what you said, get a 1st gen tundra, t100, tacoma, whatever I can find in the best condition for the lowest price and 4x4, then go through it with a fine tooth comb. Use it for the trip and then sell it when I make my way back.

This would cost more and be less convenient as I wouldnt be able to slowly build it as I go. But thats the exact advice I'm looking for, is 4x4 very well missed on this trip? Or can I get away with not having it? Are there times when some of you have been in 4low and barely made it out?

Im hoping having the coilovers will allow me to maintain momentum, that combined with all terrains and airing down could get me through a lot. Just not sure what to expect.

arctic04trd

The only thing is my truck has 80,000 miles on it and is in really good condition. You do have a good point. If I were to go that route, I think I would do exactly what you said, get a 1st gen tundra, t100, tacoma, whatever I can find in the best condition for the lowest price and 4x4, then go through it with a fine tooth comb. Use it for the trip and then sell it when I make my way back.

This would cost more and be less convenient as I wouldnt be able to slowly build it as I go. But thats the exact advice I'm looking for, is 4x4 very well missed on this trip? Or can I get away with not having it? Are there times when some of you have been in 4low and barely made it out?

Im hoping having the coilovers will allow me to maintain momentum, that combined with all terrains and airing down could get me through a lot. Just not sure what to expect.

Full disclaimer: I own a 1st gen Tacoma xtra cab, so I'm totally biased to these trucks.

Have you researched 4x4 swap? You have a 6 lug prerunner, I assume, because you mentioned an e-locker and 2wd. It's not all that expensive, I'm told. Wouldn't take more than a dozen trips to the scrapyard or salvage yard to gain most everything that you need. The actual cost is probably high-hundreds to low thousands, I would assume. Otherwise, as mentioned before, pick up a 4wd model and sell this one. But I would do the swap personally before selling and getting another truck.

I have been to Central America and the Middle East (though I flew to both and rented a car). Roads are mostly paved. Lots of unimproved stretches though. Good suspension is the most crucial aspect to a successful/comfortable trip. Otherwise, I have not seen impassable roads only achievable by having 4wd/4lo. I think if you stay on main roads you will be fine. All depends on how much you want to do while down there. If you like backroads and mountain adventures like me, 4wd is a must.

1st gen tundra is a great choice. My dad has a 2004 double cab that just rolled 200km on the odo. Reliable as hell, done nothing but maintenance and a 4wd actuator in 11+ years of ownership. Beware of terrible fuel mileage with the 4.7. She is torquey and thirsty.

txmxer

Full disclaimer: I own a 1st gen Tacoma xtra cab, so I'm totally biased to these trucks.

Have you researched 4x4 swap? You have a 6 lug prerunner, I assume, because you mentioned an e-locker and 2wd. It's not all that expensive, I'm told. Wouldn't take more than a dozen trips to the scrapyard or salvage yard to gain most everything that you need. The actual cost is probably high-hundreds to low thousands, I would assume. Otherwise, as mentioned before, pick up a 4wd model and sell this one. But I would do the swap personally before selling and getting another truck.

I have been to Central America and the Middle East (though I flew to both and rented a car). Roads are mostly paved. Lots of unimproved stretches though. Good suspension is the most crucial aspect to a successful/comfortable trip. Otherwise, I have not seen impassable roads only achievable by having 4wd/4lo. I think if you stay on main roads you will be fine. All depends on how much you want to do while down there. If you like backroads and mountain adventures like me, 4wd is a must.

1st gen tundra is a great choice. My dad has a 2004 double cab that just rolled 200km on the odo. Reliable as hell, done nothing but maintenance and a 4wd actuator in 11+ years of ownership. Beware of terrible fuel mileage with the 4.7. She is torquey and thirsty.

Ive, seen stuff about the swap...need to do more research on that as that could probably be the best of option, do you have to cut into the floor board for the 4x4 shifter?

X2 on the 4x4 swap

An at 80k almost time for timing belt if it hasn't been done....due every 90k if I'm not mistaken

Maintenance on the truck is all good, had the timing belt done by the dealer before I bought it. Slowly going through it while I can. Suspension is priority right now, the arb bumper is too heavy for the springs on the bilsteins.

Btw are you on dr? If so I think I bought a 10inch jl sub off you a few years back haha!

JaredNorthway

Absolutely agree 4WD is 100% dependent on how far off the beaten path you plan to travel. For me more than anything its better to be safe than sorry especially if you are going with a single truck. Nothing worse than having to do a single man recovery in an unfamiliar place where English isnt the first language.

arctic04trd

Absolutely agree 4WD is 100% dependent on how far off the beaten path you plan to travel. For me more than anything its better to be safe than sorry especially if you are going with a single truck. Nothing worse than having to do a single man recovery in an unfamiliar place where English isnt the first language.

My mom is from Central America, so I'm fluent in both languages. But ya, for most people it's gonna be difficult when things go sideways. Not to mention 5000 miles from home, alone and wishing you had bought than one more mod, be it a locker, winch, higher quality suspension component etc.

txmxer

My mom is from Central America, so I'm fluent in both languages. But ya, for most people it's gonna be difficult when things go sideways. Not to mention 5000 miles from home, alone and wishing you had bought than one more mod, be it a locker, winch, higher quality suspension component etc.

Totally right, I will spend a lot of time at the beach but as far as silt beds off the beaten path running trails in mexico, I'm not interested in that. If I were to go without a 4wd, I already have a winch, locker, quality upper control arms and coilovers, fresh tires, etc. So the only factor would be the 4x4 but you guys are right about that. Plus I can somewhat communicate in spanish but pretty rusty on that front.

Any advice on the campershell route? Anything I'm missing as far as camping out in the shell in mexico/south america when possible that I may not have thought about? Other than the basics of sleeping in the shell in general

arctic04trd

Totally right, I will spend a lot of time at the beach but as far as silt beds off the beaten path running trails in mexico, I'm not interested in that. If I were to go without a 4wd, I already have a winch, locker, quality upper control arms and coilovers, fresh tires, etc. So the only factor would be the 4x4 but you guys are right about that. Plus I can somewhat communicate in spanish but pretty rusty on that front.

Any advice on the campershell route? Anything I'm missing as far as camping out in the shell in mexico/south america when possible that I may not have thought about? Other than the basics of sleeping in the shell in general

I can't really comment on the topper/canopy/campershell front. I bought one shortly after purchasing my truck with the intention of camping and exploring. Never slept in it. Ended up finding a gently used RTT for cheap. I love the RTT right now. We will see what next year brings. For weekend trips it's great. But I'm planning a month across Canada so....

txmxer

Provided you comfortably fit in the bed length-wise (this should be your first concern), I suggest you get a mid-rise/height shell (ie. taller than the cab). It'll add considerably more practicality for those looking to sleep in it.

Spend quality time waterproofing the setup to ensure water (& dust!) don't get in. (They still win, but do what you can to minimize intrusion.)

I'd suggest making a set of drawers with a sleeping platform on top. You'll have the option to create a dedicated sleeping area in which you don't need to carry other gear (the best setup IMO). Setting up/packing away the bed on a daily basis is a pain, as is having to remove items from the bed so you can sleep there (also increases risk of theft for said items).

Consider ventilation of some sort, as your breathing will very likely result in condensation buildup. A fan through the top of the shell would be ideal. Ensure the shell's windows open/work on both sides. Ensure you have bug netting in all windows. Also look into removable, reflective material for said windows; it'll serve dual purposes: keeping stranger's eyes off your stuff, and keeping your shell cooler in hot temperatures.

Think about what you'll do if you're sleeping in a very humid & hot climate, and it rains. You'll want windows open for ventilation and to stay cool, but then water will start getting inside. You'll need some sort of tarp or other cover for such days.

Get some good lighting set up, but not overly bright. On bad weather days you may end up spending the entire day inside - reading or what not - and lighting that's too bright will be uncomfortable. A dimmer might be a good idea.

I appreciate the advice! I do have a camper shell and a sleeping platform with storage underneath right now, water proofed as well. Also have windows with screens. I need to build some drawers and most likely will redo my sleeping platform before the trip. It works great now, but it was the first one I built and after a few months I see there are some needs I didn't address at first.

rruff

Explorer
I'll 2nd eatSleepWoof's suggestions. If it was me, I'd custom build a shell with a cabover, tall enough to sit up inside. I initially lived in a short/shallow cap at cab height and it was pretty cramped. The taller one was much nicer, even with a roommate.

BajaSurfRig

TxMxer,

I have been down in Baja for 4 months with my girl in a first gen Tacoma extra cab with a Callen camper and a drawer system. I have ran into alot of travelers (heaps of Aussie's) heading north on their PanAmerican adventure and have traded stories over campfires and beers. Yes there are waves off of the beaten path that weather depending will need 4wd but most of the spots are reasonably accessible with 2wd+locker and good driving.

I think that you should consider getting a taller camper shell or a pop top for the adventure. Even my reasonably tall Callen (I can sit up inside of it with our bed/ couch system) feels cramped on days when the wind is howling and we read/ play board games inside. The reason that a pop up would be rad if you can swing it is you can leave your bed made everyday (currently we make and unmake our bed every morning which can get old after a while). Also shade is king when you are waiting for the tide to drop while trying to stay out of the sun. I have two awnings and wish that I had gotten one more before I left. Also get a screen room for one of your awnings. We only screened in the back of the camper and have had to stay in there to avoid swarms of bees and mozzies on occasion.

We are running a fantastic fan and it is a life saver. I would highly recommend one of these if you decided to get a second battery (definitely not for everyone due to added cost, weight and complexity).

Retrospectively I wish that I had gotten a slightly bigger truck for this adventure (I am 6'2") as the Tacoma can feel a bit cramped at times sleeping and driving for me. If you are set on the truck roll with it; if you have an inkling of doubt get a low mileage, well maintained T100 or Tundra first gen 4wd and through a used Four Wheel Camper in the back and call it done. Yes the Tacoma is bomber and rarely gets stuck but it is a mini truck and that will get to you over time. Hope my rant helps you y buenas suerte con su viaje!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz