RTT question - Opinions welcome

BigLoggerhead

So I’m looking at getting a bed rack and mounting a RTT to it on my F150. I was pretty much sold on the Smittybilt as it seems like the most affordable option. I’ve seen mostly good reviews on it. My dilemma is that now I’ve found a lightly used CVT Mount Shasta for sale on Craigslist for about $900. It looks to be in excellent shape and the guy who has it said he’s used it less than 20 nights and the tent is about 2 years old. I know the Smittybilt is on sale for $720 right now so I’m wondering which should I go with? A lightly used CVT or a brand new Smittybilt with a full warranty? Is there that much difference in quality between the two? The annex is not really a big deal for me as I’ll be using a shorter bed rack. Help me make a decision.

Kevin108

Explorer
We've had our Smittybilt tent for about 2½ years now. Going in, I was unsure of how much I'd like it and how much I'd use it, and it just seemed like the model with the lowest buy-in could be sold easier than a more expensive model. With maybe 30 nights in it, I have been thoroughly satisfied with it. I would not hesitate to buy from Smittybilt again. The only thing I would do differently is to get the XL. It's almost impossible to have too much room. If you have a "zero" day where you and your significant other get stuck inside, you'd certainly appreciate a larger tent or the tent with the annex.

2017-06-09%2015.26.41.JPG

As for the annex, if you think you may ever want to use one, compare the designs between the Smitty and CVT. The Smittybilt annex seems as if it might not be fully thought out, or it may be what all of these annexes are like. I don't actually know.

Jump in at 7:35 for the annex review. (Not my video.)

BigLoggerhead

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I like hearing first hand experience with a product. I've actually watched the video you referenced quite a few times. It's one of the reviews that actually sold me on the Smittybilt.

Box Rocket

No if ands or buts about it you'll have a much better quality tent with the used CVT. I'd never buy a Smittybuilt tent no matter the cost. From my experience, the ones that rave about the Smittybuilt tents don't have experience with other quality brands.

FattyMcJ

No if ands or buts about it you'll have a much better quality tent with the used CVT. I'd never buy a Smittybuilt tent no matter the cost. From my experience, the ones that rave about the Smittybuilt tents don't have experience with other quality brands.

Do I need experience with other brands if my Smitty is doing it's job, hasn't fallen apart, and hasn't let me down in any way?

Nope. I'm good.

Do you have personal experience with the Smitty?

From my experience, the folks that rave about the CVT's or Tepui tents don't have experience with the Smittybilt. <--see what I did there? Your argument works both ways and is completely ignorant.

ArkansasDon

Observer
I like my Smittybilt RTT. The gen 2's they made some real improvements like the video stated. I like all the accessories you get with it too. None of the other tent manufactures do that with the exception of Tuff Stuff RTT. I talked with Smittybilt on the phone & their customer service is very helpful & thorough IMO even though they told me the warranty would not be valid if I re-drilled new mounting holes in the floor for the mounting track. You have haters that will bash anything. Personally I can not find anything wrong with the tent, with the exception of the mattress, but what I've read about RTT mattress's is they all have the same complaint of being not that good. Some replace the mattress altogether other find mattress toppers we went with Thremarest Basecamp pad over the Smittybilt mattress.
Some folks think you bought a Smittybilt RTT cause your on a budget or couldn't afford the other more expensive brands. That wasn't the reason why I bought a Dinoot tub kit or the Smittybilt RRT. My build on my trailer went over its budget by far. I have over 6,000. into it now, the cost keeps going up & I just ordered the awning for it & fabricating the mounts for it right now in my shop. I had one individual told me I do not see 6,000 into that......lets see, I never said about the Propex heating system, nor the Engel 12v fridg freez, or type of battery that runs my electrical VMax Tank AGM 155ah battery, or the solar system I have. I feel Smittybilt & or Dinoot doesn't get a fair shake in this overland community because of the price points of there products. But the ones who hate or bash them both never owned them nor built a project using there products or seen them in use. Yes their is some issues I do not like about Dinoot Kits, but over-all my build has been quite enjoyable & I am very pleased & will trust it to go anywhere off road with confidence.

24831485_1522077294507806_8211600152029438502_o.jpg

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I like my Smittybilt RTT. The gen 2's they made some real improvements like the video stated. I like all the accessories you get with it too. None of the other tent manufactures do that with the exception of Tuff Stuff RTT. I talked with Smittybilt on the phone & their customer service is very helpful & thorough IMO even though they told me the warranty would not be valid if I re-drilled new mounting holes in the floor for the mounting track. You have haters that will bash anything. Personally I can not find anything wrong with the tent, with the exception of the mattress, but what I've read about RTT mattress's is they all have the same complaint of being not that good. Some replace the mattress altogether other find mattress toppers we went with Thremarest Basecamp pad over the Smittybilt mattress.
Some folks think you bought a Smittybilt RTT cause your on a budget or couldn't afford the other more expensive brands. That wasn't the reason why I bought a Dinoot tub kit or the Smittybilt RRT. My build on my trailer went over its budget by far. I have over 6,000. into it now, the cost keeps going up & I just ordered the awning for it & fabricating the mounts for it right now in my shop. I had one individual told me I do not see 6,000 into that......lets see, I never said about the Propex heating system, nor the Engel 12v fridg freez, or type of battery that runs my electrical VMax Tank AGM 155ah battery, or the solar system I have. I feel Smittybilt & or Dinoot doesn't get a fair shake in this overland community because of the price points of there products. But the ones who hate or bash them both never owned them nor built a project using there products or seen them in use. Yes their is some issues I do not like about Dinoot Kits, but over-all my build has been quite enjoyable & I am very pleased & will trust it to go anywhere off road with confidence.

View attachment 428438

What accessories are you getting with the Smittybuilt tent that you don't get from others?

ArkansasDon

Observer
light strip, computer\I phone cable, usb port, 2way 12v adapter, small 12v extension cord. Others I've looked up were sold as extras. That was almost a year ago when I checked around with others like Tepui, ARB, within a day or so before I purchased my Smittybilt.

sabjku

Observer
To the OP's original question, you really can't go wrong with either at those prices, PROVIDING the used CVT is in near perfect shape. It's CL after all, so thoroughly, thoroughly inspect every inch of it.

If it were me, I'd honestly buy the brand new Smittybuilt at that price. As someone else pointed out already, that's a great enough deal to where you can use it for a few years, take care of it, and if you feel the desire to go another direction you'll get most of your money out of it when you resell it.

Whatever you do, you'll be thrilled with the purchase. I bought a Tepui myself this year, primarily because I really liked their Zipper Gimp technology where you can easily replace canopies. CVT and Smittybuilt both were in my considerations.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
My couple of pennies here. I do own a CVT tent and have been very happy with it(McKinley). I can't speak as to what the better deal is, but have had a few smittybilt products some decent, some good, and some downright bad. While I certainly like the pricepoint of the Smitty tent, I wasn't going to risk it. Also, the XL model wasn't available yet, so that swayed my decision as I wanted a bigger tent.

No one can answer but you, but my customer service experience with CVT was phenomenal. they shipped the wrong tent(extended versus the regular that I ordered). they ate the additional cost even though I offered to pay the difference. Can't say enough good things about them. They would have shipped me the non extended version had i asked. I really didn't want the extended at the time but it has grown on me....

Just a plus for the Smitty. CVT does offer that stuff, but not until you get into the premium line.

YYCRod

Look at a Treeline

I second that. Not sure what material the new Smitty uses for their floor, but if it like most of the others, its a sandwiched aluminum foam core. My last tent (Tepui) started to bow with that type of floor on my overland trailer. I did a bunch of research and found Treeline uses a honeycomb aerospace type aluminum floor that is considerably stronger than the foam core. Camped all summer... no flex what so ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles