• 2) Dual tanks

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • 3) Cell with factory pump

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 4) Cell with external pump

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Bozman1

Hey all! I have a question and seek advice. There is no right or wrong answer. This may be a bit long so bear with me.

To begin: I know this may be more of a Jeep related question as my vehicle is a 97 Jeep TJ with the factory 4.0 I6 with some major body modifications allowing this :coffee:. I do want to keep the factory gage and emissions in working order! But maybe people with other vehicle types have done something similar and can share their experience.

I am looking at doing some major modifications that include my fuel storage to extend my currently sad range. Lets get this out of the way. I am fully aware that I can just "carry" more fuel in canisters and such but I am doing something different. I am hoping to double my capacity to maybe even up to 42 gallons of fuel and I want advice on the best way to orchestrate this. Obviously the cheaper the better, but there are two major factors for this build: Reliability, and the availability of parts when it does fail.

Here are my options:

1) Keep factory fuel tank between frame rails for main tank (and lose departure angle) and add in a second gravity feed auxiliary tank in the cargo area. Obviously I wouldn't fuel while driving and refueling would possibly take some time. This would be the cheapest option with the cost of a tank and extended fuel lines (needed anyway) and as reliable as the factory fuel pump (not at all, but lifetime warranty and easy to find). Downside is time to refuel and I am not sure of the safety factory involved with this type of system.

2) Keep factory tank and wire in a secondary tank/pump so it is like the older trucks with dual tanks. I would add a second fuel gauge and a tank selector switch. A bit more expensive but has the cool factor I guess? Haha. Cost of the AUX tank plus pump, gauge, plumbing and such items. I would have to figure out a pump/regulator combo as well.

More options in next post...

Bozman1

It wouldn't let me post with all of the options? So here are the other two...

3) Find a tank in which my factory pump may fit into and mount that up. the downside is the best option that I have found is just a 32 gallon tank but my factory fuel pump sits about 2 inches from the bottom so I would have to modify the pickups (void warranty) and my factory fuel gauge would be horribly inaccurate. Plus side is keeping the factory fuel system mostly intact. This would probably be the second cheapest option, but if the pump fails thats $200 each time.

4) Find and assemble a completely new system with a large fuel cell and external pump and pressure regulator. The pump would be a lot easier to change and I can do the cheap and reliable ford pump that most people do. Even keep a spare with me on the trail. Downside is the cost. That large of a cell plus the pump, fuel pressure regulator, sending unit with new resistors wire in, all of the fittings and plumbing. Factory gauge would still be a fair bit inaccurate but closer. This is the most custom option which worries me a bit, and adds a lot of fittings which are prone to leaking. However people on Pirate 4x4 that run cells say this is way more reliable that the factory setup. Theres always people on both sides of the fence.

So between those, in my head I am thinking option 1 would be the best as I can have a smaller cell in the storage area taking up less space and possible use it to fuel others if needed. I would like to know if anybody has any experience with gravity feed aux systems good or bad? And if they mess with emissions at all? I also realize that with any of these systems, I will likely need help from both the expedition minded people as well as those Pirate 4x4 guys. I am also aware that many or maybe all of these options may not be street legal. I will worry about that part. Thanks for reading! Cheers! :beer:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Option 1 might be the best. But, ax the gravity feed. Illegal everywhere I know. Us a 12v fuel solenoid and little pump to feed the main tank slowly.

I wish that aux tank could be placed under the jeep instead of inside.

kmcintyre

Observer
I think I'd use a new tank if you are using gasoline. If it was diesel I'd feel better about other options.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Some years ago, when I was dragging a small trailer for camping stuff; I mounted a 20 (might have been 18) gallon tank underneath with an electric fuel pump. then used outboard engine fuel connectors and fuel line to get the fuel to the main tank.
Run the main tank down below half, then turn on the electric pump for a few minutes ...

CAUTION; you need to remember to turn it off or you will pump gasoline out onto the road after the main tank fills.

Enjoy!

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd say new cell with external pump. But I can't imagine that you'll gain enough increase in total storage that it would be worth the cost. You could rack 3-5 20L MFCs (<$150 for the containers), depending how you arrange them. A new custom max-fit cell is what, $800-1000?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I've done a couple fuel system designs. It's a modification you never want to scrimp on. I would never have a fuel system component inside a passenger compartment. It's called a firewall for a reason. I prefer number 4. It might be expensive but it gives you reliability, security, and ease of service. If you are using gravity flow, plumb in a normally closed solenoid so you can shut down the flow in case of a leak. An inertia switch is also recommended with an electric pump. You also need a rollover valve and vent.

Bozman1

Awesome thanks for the replies! None of these options with be within the cab or near passengers. There will be at least 2 walls of safety between people and fuel.

Buliwyf - I could possibly fit it between the frame so it wouldn't be in the cargo area. A small pump would work but I would need to remember to turn it off so it doesn't burn up haha. And I know I would forget once.

Happy Joe - Thanks for the tip on the outboard connectors. I will look further into that!

ray - I have sourced a 32 gallon for around 300 and a 40 gallon would essentially be a tank made for an older suburban that I could mount for 200. So in my mind it could be worth it if that is the final cost on the storage part. It still does cross my mind to use the big tanks but I was hoping it would be an easier option rather than holding each can and waiting for it to drain into my main tank. Thanks for the input!

papa wheely - I would by no means scrimp! But I don't want to be spending money if there is an equally reliable way to do it cheaper. Haha. If I were sticking to a slim budget I wouldn't be modifying my jeep the way I am. And like I said the fuel would be 2 walls away from me. And I knew there were a few more little parts needed I just didn't want to make this post way to long. Appreciate the help!

lugueto

Adventurer
Before I say anything, I have no idea where the fuel tank on a TJ is located, its capacity or dimensions/vulnerabilities.

That being said, I would recommend a custom-made, higher capacity fuel cell, if that's possible. Preferably with an external, generic, easy-to-source-and-replace pump. this is for practicallity and reliability.

I mentioned on a recent threat that I would rather stick to the cons of a higher capacity main tank than adding a secondary fuel tank when capacities are similar. Simplicity is key, as it brings reliability.

This I realized after installing sub tanks in three vehicles. I can say a well built sub tank system works pretty well, but for simplicity alone I'd rather use a bigger single tank if at all possible.

Cheers

AlexCold

Observer
Where do you plan to install a 40 gallon fuel tank from a suburban in a TJ? It barely fits in a suburban, a knowing how small a TJ is I don't see how you can do it it without removing the floor. That assumes it fits in between the framerails, which I doubt due to the coil pockets.

Now, if I were hell bent on doing this, I see two options:

1. Buy a tank from Motobilt that fits in the rear of the cab and install another jeep fuel pump and a switching system. Close it off with a firewall. The pros are an extra redundant fuel system separate from the stock system in the event of a failure on either system.

2. Cut the floor above the Jeep fuel tank and install a custom tall tank that extends up to the top of the wheel wells. I would either extend the factory pump/sender but more likely install a custom internal pump with sender. And by custom I just mean how the pump pickup works to always stay in the fuel. A common GM pump could be used.

More practically though, I'd just rather carry fuel cans and stop more often in travel. It's not like Jeeps are super comfortable for long distances.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Bozman1

Thats where the major body modifications come into play. This won't be a stock jeep wrangler body/frame at that point. Think along the lines of a brute... :cool: And I know most people dislike them but I actually think mine is very comfortable. Have me some nice seats from a grand cherokee :) and good springs and shocks help out a lot.

Bozman1

You can find boat gas tanks with built in senders for reasonable prices on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moeller-Ma...ash=item43dce75a47:g:wIYAAOSwbD9Zsbbx&vxp=mtr

I guess I need to look more into this option. Would I just add a simple little pump and plumb it into the filler neck of my current tank? And then just add an aux gauge for the separate tank if I want to. And it looks like the marine tanks come in a slightly better array of sizes and shapes. Also, it looks like I would have to plumb in a rollover check valve or something of the sort right?

Last edited:

AlexCold

Observer
Well that changes things a lot, probably should have led with that. Just have someone build a custom tank that utilizes the factory pump, ie is a factory depth but wider/longer. Just remember you’ll want some baffling to minimize the slosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I debated the options for almost 12 months for my JK I'm driving around Africa.

In the end, any kind of custom tank was going to be $1500+, which hurt my budget too much.

I run a transfer tank on the rear tire carrier from Titan Tanks.
It's for any vehicle with a rear tire carrier, TJ included.

You can see it here behind the spare:

It's 13 gallons, and it works exactly as advertised. Super durable, easy to fill and takes less than 10 mins to siphon into the main tank.

I actually run it empty most days, and just fill it when I know I need to go 400+ miles between fill-ups.

For the price and how well it works, I think it's fantastic.

Highly recommend.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94