New FG in the USA

dlh62c

Explorer
Ted White has been gathering data from the Geritol crowd who have been taking later model diesel trucks into Mexico for years. The diesel fuel sulfur content in Mexico has been dropping from 500ppm to 300ppm with ULSD now available in limited supplies along some of the major road arteries. Sadly station signage won't show that a station sells it.

Mexico BajaMary Link

There's a lot of confusion out there how the DPF regeneration relates to the need for cleaning a diesel particulate filter. The two are completely independent of each other. During a regeneration cycle, the trapped soot, which is carbon, is converted to carbon dioxide. Many think that after a soot burn-off, during the regeneration, ash is left behind. That's not correct. It’s important to understand that there is no residue left behind from the regeneration operation.

Engine oil plays a major part on a DPF's lifespan. During the combustion process oil is burnt. The ash that can plug up a DPF comes from the material that makes up the additive package in the lube oil. The amount that gets into the exhaust is directly related to how much oil is burned in the engine and how much of the additive doesn't burn. That's why its important to use oil that meets low ash specification CJ-4.

Those who have the 'Clean Idle Sticker' on their vehicle should get their diesel fuel for free. Their essentially driving around an air scrubber. The air going out the tailpipe is cleaner than whats being drawn in.

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting back on the Discovery Camper, they do look good in the pictures. How available is 50ppm fuel in South Africa?

You can travel all of South Africa on 50ppm readily available everywhere but going up north across the borders I am not sure. Kym recently did a trip from South Africa to Ethiopia in his now famous FG based rig so he would be the guy to advise on diesel quality through the rest of the African continent.

unkamonkey

Explorer
It was a used FG that sat outside of a camper store for a few years and I would drive by and gawk. It finally followed me home. A couple had it made and they did Baja and TX in it so I got it with around 18,000 on it. Clean out the dog hair and don't complain about some of the colors used inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles