Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New FG in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jonturgeon View Post
    Hi Bill, the website lists that the subframe is included. I am guessing it is integrated with the camper body. The SRW is available in Canada via Tony, who is Discovery's agent in North America. I have also gotten some info on the suspension upgrades, sounds like a 90% upgrade would not be too challenging for a local spring shop. I am pretty sure Kym (from Discovery) would provide the needed info for the shop. Kym also supplied a brief rundown of the needed modifications. The biggest would likely be the pass through, but really that is only cutting a hole in the cab and mounting the surround. I have sent you a PM (with my email address), I have gotten a quote from Kym for just the camper, I don't want to put it online but will share via email. The pricing sounds pretty good, partly I guess from lower manufacturing costs in South Africa and a strong dollar. Kym is in SA now and I am waiting on further details on the construction. He needs a confirmed order for 2 to make is worthwhile to make a LHD North American version (he has plans drawn up and have talked with the SA manufacturing company). Also 2 fit in a single shipping container, so the cost of shipping is less.

If we end up going this route, I plan to do most of the work myself. I would think in a couple of weeks you could be on the road. Sure is tempting vs the DIY approach. And I like the camper better than the EarthCruiser.
    PM sent.

PM sent with my direct email address.

... I am also seriously thinking of a Discovery camper box shipped from South Africa (Discovery is in Australia). I have been in contact with Kym there and it seems like a really nice option
    I have just been to view one of Kym's completed camper bodies in Cape Town and you will not be dissapointed. Very neat with a lot of thought and practicallity built in there.

I am grateful that we do not have your emmission laws. Both my 2014 and 2017 FG84's run perfectly on either 50ppm and 500ppm diesel available in South Africa. Sometimes I fill up with one then the other, whatever is available where I go.

Note that we do not get the face-lift model with autobox option in SA as our local fuel cannot support Euro 5 spec engines.

Good luck with preparing for your adventure!
    2015 Fuso FG6-136 LWB for work
    and
    2017 Fuso FG6-136 LWB for play
    Also own:
    1953 Chevrolet 210 4-door model
    and a whole bunch of other cars & trucks for work and play including 2x AMG Mercs, 1x Merc Vito, more Fusos of different denomination, a 2016 Suzuki Jimny and a road legal electric golf cart.

Boldly going where everyone else has already been!

Does anyone have any info on what to expect for the 2018 FG4x4 in NA? Should we assume it will be identical or?

Thanks for reporting back on the Discovery Camper, they do look good in the pictures. I have applied for a "Binding Rule Request" from US Customs on what the duty would be. I "think" this means that what ever they come back with, I will have a government document with the agreed upon Duty. I am also guessing you would show this form to the customs agent at the point of entry.

On the good side, the EPA has helped clean up the air here over the years. The difficult bit it taking one of these trucks away from home. But I guess we need to face the facts, there is just not enough people doing this from the USA for a large government to really make special rules. We have gotten used to this from of our travel by sailboat.

Quick question. From what I have been reading on the web it sounds like most trucks with DPF can easily handle 50ppm fuel. How available is 50ppm fuel in South Africa? Or longer range plans after North America for a couple of year, is to head to South America, then maybe ship to Africa. Lower sulfur diesel would be important though.

Ted White has been gathering data from the Geritol crowd who have been taking later model diesel trucks into Mexico for years. The diesel fuel sulfur content in Mexico has been dropping from 500ppm to 300ppm with ULSD now available in limited supplies along some of the major road arteries. Sadly station signage won't show that a station sells it.

Mexico BajaMary Link

There's a lot of confusion out there how the DPF regeneration relates to the need for cleaning a diesel particulate filter. The two are completely independent of each other. During a regeneration cycle, the trapped soot, which is carbon, is converted to carbon dioxide. Many think that after a soot burn-off, during the regeneration, ash is left behind. That's not correct. Itís important to understand that there is no residue left behind from the regeneration operation.

Engine oil plays a major part on a DPF's lifespan. During the combustion process oil is burnt. The ash that can plug up a DPF comes from the material that makes up the additive package in the lube oil. The amount that gets into the exhaust is directly related to how much oil is burned in the engine and how much of the additive doesn't burn. That's why its important to use oil that meets low ash specification CJ-4.

Those who have the 'Clean Idle Sticker' on their vehicle should get their diesel fuel for free. Their essentially driving around an air scrubber. The air going out the tailpipe is cleaner than whats being drawn in.
    Last edited by dlh62c; 12-08-2017 at 01:48 PM.

I've found the below to be a handy resource.
    World Diesel Fuel Sulfur Map

Thanks for reporting back on the Discovery Camper, they do look good in the pictures. How available is 50ppm fuel in South Africa?
    You can travel all of South Africa on 50ppm readily available everywhere but going up north across the borders I am not sure. Kym recently did a trip from South Africa to Ethiopia in his now famous FG based rig so he would be the guy to advise on diesel quality through the rest of the African continent.
    2015 Fuso FG6-136 LWB for work
    and
    2017 Fuso FG6-136 LWB for play
    Also own:
    1953 Chevrolet 210 4-door model
    and a whole bunch of other cars & trucks for work and play including 2x AMG Mercs, 1x Merc Vito, more Fusos of different denomination, a 2016 Suzuki Jimny and a road legal electric golf cart.

Boldly going where everyone else has already been!

For anyone interested in the Discovery, here is the website http://www.discoverymotorhomes.com.au/index.html. I am not affiliated in anyway, just passing this on. A word of warning though, proceed with caution, if you check these out you may end up wanting one ;-)

Nope, I already have a MF motothome and I paid less than 1/4 of what they want.
    1992 FG, 1994 Hallmark camper.
    1961 CJ3b, V6,OD,PTO winch etc.
    1969 Jeep Commando.
    1998 Harley.
    2, 1982 XT 550's
    1953 Buick Special, that I get out about once a year, 62K original miles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast