BFG - White In / White out

Well for the record, I love stickers-and still go black in.
(& I thought we were just having fun with each other, I don't take much of this serious-I argue on Dweb, not here).

As far as 'real offroad' vehicles go-that's an appllication discussion.
Is it a real offroader if you do long haul travel and end up deaf and nearly crippled at the end from discomfort-b/c Jeep has that market covered too.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their marketing and the vehicle's capabilities. I also appreciate that every midlife crisis suburban dude in Northern VA has one with the same bolted on stuff...and they can't tow a damn thing with them much bigger than lawn mower on a utility trailer (nevermind what they can fit in them).

So I guess much comes back to what, and where, we mean by offroading. LR more than holds its own I'd say; afterall you don't really see other brands re-doing the Great Divide or any number of things (TAT, etc) even with their 'hardcore' offerings-much less stock trucks on 20's or 19's.

Just my $.02.
r-
Ray

Completely agree....im totally having fun too...just love watching the thread go from opinion to fashion design to Rover/Jeep bashing....hahahaha

I watch that Extreme 4x4 show with that one dude with the crazy hair building a D90 body on a JK chassis and can't help but say...."Damn, gonna be so capable that Jeep frame is with that Cummins and Ashcroft drivetrain on Dana axles with the with the LR badge!" hahaha....nothing D90 or Jeep about that build other than the green oval on the side and the tin can on top of the JK frame.

I love Jeeps...just will never own one over an LR because its my taste. And they are two different vehicles which serve a different purpose. My opinion also tells me that out of the box, the Jeep and any new LR are the same when you talk about an "out of the box Off-road/Overland" vehicle because neither of them are without significant modifications to interior and kit. The $50k between price points solidifies completely different markets and purpose as well. Although I would be much more comfortable if someone "made" me do an overland test in an LR over a Jeep......thinking they both would probably get to the destination in the end.

With that said, when Jeep takes bone stock (add tires) across the globe in the fashion that LR has done for decades, then they can talk about overlanding. Right now, I believe anyone selling a Jeep as an overland wagon is missing the mark as LR guys selling the new Disco and RR as rock crawlers and off-road beasts.

I've never compared my LR3 to a Jeep......and when Jeep guys want to compare, I just divert to what both are good at in their own markets. That convo usually happens when I am being used as an anchor for them to winch out! hahaha

Who's gonna be the first to run white-outs on one side and black-outs on the other?

Last edited:
I meet a guy last year who is riding around the world on a unicycle.

In that case, overlanding looks something like this:

1) Land Rover
2) BMW-----those Long Way Around guys on the BMW bikes
3) Unicycle Dude.....assuming he makes it!
4) Jeep....should they ever try!

hahahahahaha

Rover on!

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
OI!!! You guys are hijacking my thread (and those words coming from a South African - haha). We have the same "keyboard wars" on South African forums but between Toyota and Land Rover. Sometimes its nice to stir the pot
pot.gif
:ylsmoke:

Anyway, the way I have always seen it and continue to:

Land Rover - Its an overlanders vehicle, made for distance travel comfortably, more than capable off road (I have taken mine through some scary deep rivers and up mountains) but they are certainly nowhere near Jeep territory in terms of rock crawling, mudding etc.

Jeep - Its a rock crawlers vehicle, its made for fun in the sand, mud, made for the rocks - its an epic fun car but no where near the comfort of a Land Rover for distance/ overland travel albeit very capable as many have proven.

In my honest opinion, each car is built for a different purpose, each has its strengths and weaknesses and both capable in each other's territories. For fun, mudding, rock crawling I'd buy a Jeep, for overland I'd buy a Land Rover.

However you choose to style your ride is completely up to you and as many have said, should be 'fit-for-purpose' for your needs, comfort and liking. The way my car is set up is with the rule of 5s --> 5 min setup, 5 min set down, 5 min ready for cook and most importantly 5 seconds for a cold beer!

As a final note, I have decided 'White In' :wings:

Last edited:

Exploder
<chuckling> I'm not sure that I've ever said that I was non-judgmental. I will judge the devil out of something; which is not a secret.

The CT trucks were sponsored, I suspect. Throwing stickers on a truck creates the impression that you're sponsored and some sort of professional. I suspect that's why most people do it. I used to have all sorts of stickers on my truck. I have since seen the light. If someone pays me to put a sticker on my vehicle, I will. Otherwise, it's all "Salt Life" and "Yeti" tomfoolery that is meant to impress people that don't know any better.

Now, back to white-in/white-out. White out just screams Hot Wheels Peter Pan to me. They want the trucks that they played with as a kid to be real. I get it. It's okay; to a point. But it easily devolves into some sort of real-life Barbie plastic surgery disaster. More is more!! Bigger-er and better-er!! I get that, too.

White out is more "look at me!" So many modifications are 100% for the "SEE ME! PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU NOTICED MY RIG!!" guys. I hate looking at the monstrosities in traffic because I know that the owner, who is desperate for someone to notice his "build", will think that I am admiring his "rig". No, hoss. I am not admiring your rig. You're using things to fill a hole and it's sad.

In any event, do what you want. The o.p. asked, and we answered.

krick3tt

Adventurer
This whole issue was actually not very important and I had to look in the garage to see what I had asked for when the new tyres were mounted.
I have black rims so the black is out. Tada!

Ray_G

Explorer
Can we have a conversation about Yeti here, I think that would def spice things up.

(sorry, couldn't help but laugh at Stu's insertion of one of the epic threads from elsewhere)

pdXDisco

Observer
The CT trucks were sponsored, I suspect. Throwing stickers on a truck creates the impression that you're sponsored and some sort of professional. I suspect that's why most people do it...

I feel the same (ironically driving a snickered up vehicle) but take comfort that it was a factory package. The only "sponsor" sticker I've added is the Shell logo, cause I liked the way that looked on the CT rigs. Every sticker I've added is a place I've been, or a place where someone I love is, and it feels like a connection to them every time I take the XD somewhere.

As for the "SEE ME!" take on white-out, I figured I'm well past that point, so it doesn't add much more distinction. But, I don't drive it because I want people to see me, I drive it because I think it looks freaking awesome, and it makes me smile. My other car is completely anonymous and perfect for my daily commute.

You are completely right about wanting my toy trucks to be real, though. I don't deny that for a moment! :)

Exploder
An XD is tricky. It's legit because it came that way from LR. That means less now that you can get the Oscar Edition BlingMobile straight from Solihull, but I feel that it still holds.

Exploder
Can we have a conversation about Yeti here, I think that would def spice things up.

(sorry, couldn't help but laugh at Stu's insertion of one of the epic threads from elsewhere)

Ray,

I was referring to the Yeti and Salt Life stickers. I won't open the expensive cooler can of worms; I don't really care. I do find a $300 cooler laughable along with SL stickers on vehicles two hundred miles inland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94