Tundra or Tacoma re gear with fourwheel camper opinions 4.88

Skinhyfish

Observer
Been doing all my searching and seen lots of opinions about regearing trucks with bigger tires to gain power back.. I have been a diesel owner and never really worried to much, but acquired a 2002 Tundra 4.7 4x4 recently and a 2016 fwc fleet 2016. Great little combo for the mountains here in CO and ID where we visit. Truck has 27,000 miles on it and would like To keep it for a while. That 4.7 is great little motor, but with lift and tires it isn’t as peppy, especially with camper. Have any FWC owners with tundra or Tacoma’s regeared to help with power back to stock with lift and weight of camper? I have 33in tires and looking at 4.88 with my auto trans to help out. Just curious what guys have done on here for their campers besides basic mods to help with regaining some power after more weight and height.

Love to here your opinions or results. Thanks Zach

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
My setup isn't quite like yours, but maybe my experience can help you out. I have a 2011 5th gen runner with a 3" OME lift and Cooper ST/Maxx tires on it. These are tall and narrow, which I like. They measure ~32.8" tall when new. The original gearing was 3.73. With the bigger tires and towing a small trailer the engine was really working hard on long uphill pulls. I recently had a set of 4.56's installed that really made a great improvement. I did not go with a rear locker as ATRAC seems to work fine for me with the type of terrain I usually travel over. The only downside is a loss of 1-2 mpg in town. I haven't towed anything any great distance so don't know what mileage will be over the long haul. I am very happy with this setup. I went with Nitro gears. I'd give them a call before going up to 4.88's.

Dale

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I forgot to say that the engine is a 4.0 L V6 and my trailer probably weighs 1,200 lbs loaded. You have a few more ponies under the hood to begin with.

Dale

IMG_0773.jpg

Pax2525

Adventurer
my friends have an Eagle on their Tacoma. They would also tow a small trailer with 2 dirt bikes. They seemed to always have the power they needed for the trip. You be starting with a bigger motor then them so I would think you'll be ok. Maybe try it first and see how it goes.

MTCK

Observer
Just my $0.02, but I’ll always take lower gears and slow down 5 mph and shave a few mpg. Can’t speak to your exact setup, but took a ‘77 chev with a warm small block and sm465 from 3.08 to 4.10 and it was a completely different animal on 32” tires. What’s stock gear? 4.88 seams reasonable to me.

Skinhyfish

Observer
Love to hear more opinions, thanks for the replies everyone.. I think the gears will help with power and less strain on drivetrain, but curious if it will affect long term or daily drivability. Want to make long distance trips not just a weeeknd wheeling rig. From what I've read the 4.88 is a great help the OD on auto trans.. just curious what guys with truck campers and lift have done or tried

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I also live in Colorado, 2000 ranger 4*4 4.0 automatic, FWC Eagle, went from 3:73 to 4:56.
Can pull Wolf Creek and leveta pass in 3rd. And cruise@ 70 2200 rpms in 5th.
4:88 might be a little low.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
With 33s I wouldn't do 488
You should do 456 for the extra weight you carry

I have a 2004 tundra on 35s and recently regeared to 488.

Here is a video of the speedo vs gps

https://youtu.be/8N8T9Qs6VvQ

My truck is no light weight either

8ab34e9cf40633db9d10ef8d63a2b290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Toyotech.. I just saw your build other day and spend most my after noon reading.. I like the hub conversion. Well done

I still need to go and fix all the dead photos. Most my updates been going on to IG. I need to focus back on here to keep track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles