Tundra or Tacoma re gear with fourwheel camper opinions 4.88

rruff

Explorer
Bull**** ********. I have compared a stock tundra to mine. And the weight is noticeable. Stock on 1st gen is 29 inch. Jumping to 33-35 can increase tire weight to 15-30lbs or more per tire.

What you are noticing is higher gearing and greater rolling resistance of tires with stiffer casings and tread. Those things can make a big difference, especially off the line. Not weight. This is just physics. The weight difference is tiny compared to the whole truck.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
What you are noticing is higher gearing and greater rolling resistance of tires with stiffer casings and tread. Those things can make a big difference, especially off the line. Not weight. This is just physics. The weight difference is tiny compared to the whole truck.

Guess Rotational weight doesn't matter than.

The only thing that changed was tire size as both tires was BFG KOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
The truck is ~35% heavier too.

Based on what I was able to look up regarding overall gearing, my 6spd has a ~30% lower 1st gear and a 9% taller high gear (vs the 1st gen 4spd auto). The 5.7 has a much higher max HP spec, but I'd guess the 4.7 has relatively good torque numbers.

You also have 200hp+ more, double the torque and 4.30 gears stock.

Apples to water buffaloes

bkg

Explorer

Completely False. Dont pretend it’s physics that proves your point since it’s physics that proves you’re wrong.

bkg

Explorer
I know it's different. The post I was replying to stated that a computer controlled transmission would hunt for gears when a load was added. Does the 2002 even have a computer controlled transmission?

Some people like to obsess about things. Many who put 35s on a new Tundra feel the need to regear as well. That's without a load. They notice a loss in initial acceleration and it bugs them and they have to "fix" it. Others run 37s and load it with a big camper and it's fine.

For the $3-4k cost of a regear, I can think of other things I'd rather have. That's getting close to the price of a supercharger, which would be an actual power increase and not just a gear change.

Regear is $2200 - minus core - from ECGS

rruff

Explorer
Regear is $2200 - minus core - from ECGS

Doing it yourself?

EDIT: Looks like $2.2k might cover it installed. Install costs appear to be all over the place, but the $3-4k I mentioned is on the high end.

Last edited:

Loubaru

Adventurer
One of us knows physics, and it appears that the other doesn't.

Huh? Please explain how spinning a heavier member isn't going to affect acceleration? Especially when you factor in that its diameter (moment) increased.... There is a reason race cars obsess over wheel/tire weight and don't just go with the widest tires they can fit

rruff

Explorer
Like I said earlier, weight at the tread is 2x weight on the truck when determining mass-resistance to acceleration. So adding 10lb per tire will be like 80lb in the cab. On a 6000lb vehicle that's 1.3%. I think that's far below the threshold of anyone to feel.

Race cars will obsess about anything that costs them a fraction of a second. Another thing that wheel-tire weight effects is suspension (unsprung weight), where it's highly desirable to have a lower number.

bkg

Explorer
One of us knows physics, and it appears that the other doesn't.

That is painfully obvious.

Look. Let’s just all agree that you’re the smartest person in the thread. Does that make you feel better?

Now that we have established that, can you please excuse yourself so others can have a serious discussion and help address the OP’s questions?

Thanks

bkg

Explorer
Ok guys so 4.88 or 4.56 ?:bike_rider:

4.88. Because you mentioned camper and potentially towing at the same time. Plus... if you feel it's over geared, you can still setup up in tire size eventually.

I think you'll love 4.88....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles