Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Truck for my FWC

Quote Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
    Coming from a guy with a hawk on a half ton (Tundra) - if I were buying a truck to haul a camper full time, it would be a 3/4 or 1 ton.

You didn't specify if the camper stays on full time or you only load it up for trips?
    I'm not positive whether I'm going to keep it on full time or not. I keep it on my '04 tundra full time right now and I love it. I don't do too much driving besides going on trips.

I hate to say it, but, if I were you, Id sell them both. It sounds like you want offroad capabilities and a long bed truck isn't the right choice. Unless you have a massive emotional attachment to the camper, sell it and get one that fits a short bed...my .02. It will also open up the possibilities for your truck purchase-resale on a long bed is tough.

The only way to gain clearance under the differential is with bigger tires. Id grab either of those trucks, throw some 285s on, some quality shocks and maybe an add a leaf and go.

Im a frequent advocate of heavier trucks too, but if you were making it work with a short bed tundra either of those trucks should do it. Check axle gearing and get the lowest ones you can. Make sure either one has a six speed auto as the extra cogs help get moving.

I would go with the Ford. Rock solid and in my opinion ford builds a tougher truck. That said I currently drive a 3/4 ton Chevy and love it however it definitely doesn't have the same tough feeling that the Ford does.

Just saw you cruising through San Clemente. Enjoy this part of So Cal!
    Current:
    2004 4Runner 4x4
    2012 F150 4x4
    FWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12