17 F150 Screw FX4 Camping Build

jmodz

Hi all, I've been a lurker here on the site for some time now and I love reading the articles, classified section, and build threads for ideas and inspiration. So I finally decided to start a build thread to document my progress on my vehicle and hopefully get some input from you guys. My main goal for my truck is to be a great camping vehicle and get me wherever I need to go. For me that usually means forest roads, desert washes, or any other fun trail I see. I try and do as much camping as work and school permit me and I also love backpacking, XC skiing, and mountain biking. As of now my truck is entirely stock but fortunately that is going to change very soon! So here is a little background on my truck and why I chose certain features.

2017 Ford F-150 XLT Screw with 6.5ft bed and FX4 package.
3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed automatic
4x4 with rear electronic locker
3.55 axle ratio
Max Tow Package (kinda wish now I had gotten Max Payload instead)

I chose the 6.5ft bed for a couple of reason. I owned a 2011 CrewMax Tundra which has the 5.5ft bed and found it so limiting. My bikes and double bass could never fit straight in and finding places for my gear was like playing tetris. So right off the bat I knew I wanted the standard bed size. I would have loved the shorter wheelbase of the supercab but I have a lot of family and the massive rear seat is just amazing! It also makes road trips super comfortable and complaint free. Well not totally complaint free, but it helps minimize it for sure. The only thing I never really cared about was the FX4 package but it came on the truck so I went for it. I just think that marketing the package as an off road one is ridiculous. The are the same shocks and pretty crappy at that and I wouldn't trust the skid plates but I guess they would save you in a hairy situation.

Now for the fun part. Aftermarket parts!
Front Suspension: Bilstein 6112 with Icon tubular delta joint UCA's.
Rear Suspension: Bilstein 5160 with Autospring AAL
Wheels: I'm sticking with stock for now to save money
Tires: Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs or General Grabber AT2 in 275/70/18 which equates to a little over 33 inches. I'm still undecided between these two so help me decide!

All the suspension parts are currently in transit and I'll hopefully get it all installed in the next week or two. I was going back and forth between the Bilstein setup and Icons but for what I use my truck for I thought the Bilsteins would be plenty. Plus it gets you a 2.5 inch shock and reservoirs in the rear for a fraction of the price.

Currently I have a custom camper on the bed of my truck. I've had it for about a year now and have really enjoyed it. I spent a few weeks building out the interior with some cabinets, sink, and storage areas. I originally purchased it with the goal of going to Alaska this spring but due to more commitments at work I've had to postpone that trip so I will likely be putting it up for sale sometime in January.

I am going to throw up some photos too, but since this is my first time posting on this website it might take me a bit to get them all up. Plus my USB SD Card reader died so I have to order another to get the photos off of my camera.

Attachments

• IMG_4237 2.jpg
    IMG_4237 2.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4459.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4462.jpg
    IMG_4462.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4516.jpg
    IMG_4516.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4514.jpg
    IMG_4514.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4586.jpg
    IMG_4586.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4588.jpg
    IMG_4588.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

jmodz

So I figured out the other way to add photos but now they are all coming out sideways. So I'll just try and give a rundown of the photos I've got posted. The FJC was my previous vehicle which I really loved and had a fun time modifying but I now live in my trailer so I needed something to be able to tow it which lead me to the F150. That second photo was day one of owning my truck. The camping photos I have up are from the Wallowa Whitman National Forest in Oregon and before I starting building out the interior of the camper. I added the bedrug to act as a flooring for my interior and I highly recommend it to anybody thinking about buying one. It is extremely comfortable to walk on, very durable, and provides some extra insulation. The last photo will make more sense if I can get the cabinet photos to properly upload. I didn't want to drill holes in my bed sides to secure the cabinets down so I utilized the box link system that F150's have to secure a 2x8 beam the length of the truck bed. This allowed for a great platform to build out my cabinets from.

D45

Explorer
Just add some Timbrens or airbags

My truck has both the Max Tow and May Payload, it is impressive........other than the horrible gas mileage

jmodz

Thanks Raul B! I just got all my suspension parts in so it should make for some fun weeks coming up. As far as timbrens or airbags go I thought about that, but my weight with the camper and cabinets is pretty permenant so I thought that the AAL would provide more stability and lift back up the rear a bit without having to worry about my airbags all the time.

ben2go

Adventurer
That is an interesting cap for sure. You could go full camping or incognito toy hauler. I'll have to be here and witness the build before I decide if I like it or not. So jmodz, bring your best skillz. :sombrero:

jmodz

Well it has been a really long time since I updated this, but I wanted to bring everybody up to speed.

I finished my build of the interior back in August so I thought I should finally share those pictures. It turned out very functional and served me very well for quite a few trips. I never seemed to get very good pictures of it.
View attachment 439668
View attachment 439667

But fast forward a bit and I sold the camper to an awesome couple who were going on a 3 month road trip this summer, so they should have a lot of fun with it. I also got all my suspension parts installed. I went with Bilstein 6112/5160 with Icon delta joint upper control arms and an autospring AAL in the rear. So far I really love the setup and the ride is way more controlled with less body roll then stock, it also rides a little stiffer which is exactly what I wanted. I set the fronts at 1.5 inch lift, but if it was easier to change I would put it at the full 2 inches. For the tires I didn't want something to aggressive as I commute daily in this vehicle so I went with Cooper Discovery AT3 in 275/70/18 which equates to just over 33 inches. I haven't had much opportunity to check out how the lift and tires handle off-road because all my recent trips have been national parks or group camping. The only photo without the camper and with the lift and tires is horrible but I'll upload it anyway. I'll take better photos today or tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_4627.jpg
    IMG_4627.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4626.jpg
    IMG_4626.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 33

jmodz

I'm having trouble uploading more images. I see a lot of people using photo bucket so maybe that is the solution.

One last thing, my truck has been without a camper for about 2 months now and it is time to start a new build. I am going to hopefully place an order for a ARE MX topper tomorrow and then I'll add a sleeping platform and some storage inside the shell. So I'll try and update more frequently with progress on that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94