E450 4X4 wheel & tire help

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
I am in the middle of converting my E450 short bus to 4X4 with a 6 inch lift and am trying to figure out what to do with rims and tires.
Front axle is off a single rear wheeled vehicle and I cannot find anything other than big fat spacers that "might" work after machining.
What have y'all done? I don't mind super singles and don't mind staying dually but I do want to have the same rim and tire front and rear.
Any help or input would be appreciated and I know it's a stupid question but I've never dealt with duallys before.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you search my threads there is one called something “new shoes for a fat pig”. It details my conversion to 19.5” singles.

But if you are trying to work out how to get the front back to where it was and it is the old 8 lug pattern (not the newer super duty pattern) you can get the hub extension off a Chevy dully axle.

The other option for the front axle may be dynatech hubs which will allow you to run real bearings and not unit bearings as well.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Thanks Ozrockrat. Looks like all I need to do is get rid of the dually set up in the rear and just go with the singles.

cjken

Explorer
Yes
All I did was swap the front dually hubs and get regular single rims with the correct back spacing.
The rear end did not need any modification the track width was fine with singles.

Prior to running regular rims I ran stock H1 military rims. They required spacers on the rear duet to the 7” back spacing.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I'm confused wont you end up with to different bolt patterns front to rear using this method?
Wouldn't the front axle have 8x170 and the rear 6x8.5? seems like a rear hub change or adapters would be necessary regardless.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
I got my axle built and had them do the old bolt pattern so I would not have two different bolt patterns. Just forgot about the dually part.
What is the back spacing on your Hauler rims? Looking into a set of those, they look good.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I got my axle built and had them do the old bolt pattern so I would not have two different bolt patterns. Just forgot about the dually part.
What is the back spacing on your Hauler rims? Looking into a set of those, they look good.

I think you are thinking of member Lwing, http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/184788-E450-4wd-build
I did ask a question in that thread about his bolt config and posted a link to the wheels. Both patterns are available and the backspacing is listed there as 4.25", http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/1763/vision-hd-trucktrailer-81a-heavy-hauler

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
How have your 19.5’s worked out. Have you written a report here somewhere.

I sold that rig years ago. But we did run it around the Southwest. The tires worked well for everything we needed but don’t air down well. Sidewalls were stiff enough that 75 on the pavement was a pleasure except for the whine of the tires. Seemed to be a pitch that was just unpleasant to my ears. Not as bad as the big XZL Michelin’s of Old Yella though.

If I was to have another E450 Ambo it would be my first modification.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
So I've got my front axle all mounted and a set of borrowed rims to get to the tire shop. Went to move her and my steering bound up with the brakes applied. Bled the power steering system with no luck. Checked the ball joints n they were nice n greasy.
Remaned Dana 60 with SSBC front brakes and crossover steering. Stock F250 front wheels on 1/2 inch spacers.
Any help would be appreciated as my friend needs his shop back.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Put some cardboard under the tires and gave her a turn and no binding...
Stock 28 inch tires on stock SRW E350 rims and 1/2 inch spacers makes the scrub radius way off. Hopefully the 34s will eliminate that problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles