Wind Power....for Overlanding.........

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Wind Power....for Overlanding.........

http://www.airbreeze.com/

http://www.airbreeze.com/index.php?q=marine/product-info

Here is one idea. I have no idea about what specs are needed.

http://www.siliconsolar.com/air-breeze-_2kw-wind-electric-turbine-off-grid-p-17890.html

Post up your idea's.

I've seen some sites out there where guys have actually made thier own wind systems at a Very low cost!

AIR-BREEZE-2kw-WIND-ELECTRIC-TURBINE-off-grid_T.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Last time this subject came up I posted a link to downloadable instructions for making a small wind generator from a used treadmill motor and a piece of PVC pipe. Sounds kinda hinky, but actually looked pretty good. If there's interest, I'll try to scrounge it up again.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Lynn said:
Last time this subject came up I posted a link to downloadable instructions for making a small wind generator from a used treadmill motor and a piece of PVC pipe. Sounds kinda hinky, but actually looked pretty good. If there's interest, I'll try to scrounge it up again.

Thanks! Please do! I did a search here on ExPo.....and couldn't find anything.

Here is something else that just popped up in a search on dat net........

But I'm surprised it only says 200 watts. How do we get that figure up?!!

The all-new Air Breeze...........

The most powerful wind generator in its class.

The all-new Air Breeze. Quieter, more efficient, and precision engineered to deliver more energy at lower wind speeds than any other wind generator in its class. Air Breeze is the next generation of Air turbines—with more than 100,000 units sold in 120 countries, the world's most popular small wind turbine.

The AIR Breeze uses a new microprocessor based technology that results in an increase in performance, battery charging capability, and reliability. Additionally, “flutter” noise from the machine has been reduced.

The controller allows for peak-power tracking of the wind by optimizing the alternator's output on all points of the cubic curve and efficiently delivers the energy to the battery. The turbine’s smart controller allows it to actually control blade rotation speed thus eliminating the buzzing noise commonly found with most small wind turbines.

Much Lower Noise:
Previous AIR wind modules relied on their aero-elastic blade design for protection in high winds. This caused a loud flutter noise in winds above 35 mph (16 m/s). AIR-X’s circuit monitors the wind speed and electronically slows the blades as it reaches its rated output preventing it from going into flutter. This results in a much quieter wind turbine. In high winds, the AIR-X will continue to produce power at a reduced level until the wind decreases, at which point maximum potential output will resume.

Improved Battery Charging:
Previous AIR designs required 300-400 amp hour battery banks so the trickle charge of the wind turbine could be adequately absorbed. The AIR Breeze’s charge controller periodically stops charging, reads the battery voltage, compares it to the voltage setting and if the battery is charged, it completely shuts off all current going to the battery. This function is performed within a few milliseconds. The closer the battery is to reaching its full state of charge, the more often the AIR Breeze’s circuit repeats this action. This means any size battery bank from 25 to 25,000 amp hours or higher can be charged safely. When the battery has reached its charged state, the AIR Breeze will slow to an almost complete stop. Only when the battery has dropped below its voltage set point will it startup and resume charging.

WHERE AND HOW THE AIR Breeze WIND MODULE IS USED

The AIR Breeze is an ideal product for the person that needs a little power for basic appliances such as TV, radio and a few lights.

Remote Cabins
Telecommunication Towers
The Developing World
Monitoring Stations

Features:
Unprecedented 3-YEAR WARRANTY
Durable composite blades
Microprocessor-based smart internal regulator with peak power tracking
Aircraft quality aluminum alloy castings
Exclusive brush-less neodymium cubic curve alternator
Sophisticated internal battery charge regulator
Maintenance-free - Only two moving parts

Exclusive Auto-brake-feature that slows the AIR to a silent spin when the batteries are charged thus extending bearing life and reducing noise.

Specifications:

Rotor Diameter: 46" (1.14 meters)
Weight: 13 lbs (6 kg)
Start up wind speed: 6 mph (2.68 m/s)
Voltage: 12 & 24 VDC
Output: 200 watts at 28 mph (12.5 m/s)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Chispito Wind Generator

One of these days I have to try this. Probably won't have the power output of a commercial one, but it would pay for itself a lot quicker. :)

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to make it so that the props fold or disassemble for travel.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wind Power for RVs

Hi Guys. I have set up 2 wind generatos on vehicles in the past for customers. The first was an Airmarine which looks to be identical to the Airbreeze and the one I did a couple of weeks ago was a small Rutland unit. The Rutland came with a remote regulator so I told the owner that he could also plug in a portable solar array into the same connection in stead of the Wind Generator.

The Airmarine unit is my preference. Just reckon the design is awesome. The way it furls and the new version applies a load when it is regulating so that it doesn't freewheel and go crazy in high wind or when the battries are fully charged. Just be careful of the blades. Saw a guy accidently drop one and a blade shattered very easily.

A general rule I was taught was you can never go too high and make sure of your cable sizing especially if you are mounting the unit on a pole some metres from the vehicle. They are ideal for beach camping here. A lot of fisherman camp for a month or so when the Tailor are running and if there is 3 or 4 days of no solar then the wind generators would be perfect. Overcast weather is usually associated with strong winds.

John

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:26_16_2: I can see why you've setup some wind turbines, especially for the guys that camp/fish for a month or longer

I got my AirX-400 watt turbine, for situations like that

I mentioned it several times on this forum and got NO RESPONSE so

I'm sure you can realize the value of these turbines/solar panels for (out-of-house-living)

Those blades are RAZOR sharp

:pROFSheriffHL: :pROFSheriffHL: JIMBO

Ireland

Adventurer
Another awesome and well timed thread, I just saw a commercial system in one of our local rec centres today and it got the wheels turning again in me on wind power.... Going to lurk here for awhile to see the cool ideas

gary in ohio

Explorer
Check out the specs, Its 200watts at 28mph. It starts generating at 6mph, but not 200watts of power, how much power does it produce at lower speeds, What are the typical speeds in the area you will be operating.

Also keep in mind you need to get a wind generator up high as possible for best results. How small of a mast system can you get and raise up by yourself. A 20+ ft pole with a 13lb of dead weight on the end is going to be chore to put up.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Yesterday at lunch I saw someone proving to themselves that perpetual motion doesn't exist. They were driving down the street with their wind generator up on the roof of their camper van. It was spinning away.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
ntsqd said:
Yesterday at lunch I saw someone proving to themselves that perpetual motion doesn't exist. They were driving down the street with their wind generator up on the roof of their camper van. It was spinning away.

That's funny. So what makes you think it wasn't working?? ;)

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

No 20 foot pole needed near the top of 4 Peaks..........

2008_0618ArizonaSpring20080171.jpg

Jimbo..........

Do you have pics of your wind system in action?

The purpose of the thread is to learn more about wind power for our trips. RV's are already using it. And no reason why this would not be a good addition for the guys with their big rigs heading to South America, etc. on very long trips.

I would like to learn more about it. If I had to carry a 20 foot pole........then I would not be interested. But I don't believe that would be the case. If your rig is already 6' to 12' feet tall........how much taller would you need to go?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Great thread, SWR:26_7_2:
Ever since my days of going out to Scossa NV I have dreamt of building an affordable portable wind generator, but it always seemed out of reach ($$).
Looks like the time is coming that more research is being done on this and hopefully the cost will be within reach of the average consumer.
Keep the ideas and links comin folks.....always like to learn:bowdown:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks,

I actually started this thread because I found this link where a guy made his own home made Wind Power system. Then I lost the link....but started the thread anyway.

Here is what I found.

http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html

Based on what I am reading.....I know it's possible.....and I think Solar should be included. I think the hardest part is just trying to figure out how to transport it in the most practical manner.....and how to set it up! I think an easy "Flip~Up"......from a roof rack.....would be the easiest/best solution.

Here is one on a boat............

If they can do it.........we can do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRRKXSDVRU

Hum.....maybe the low hum.....would send you to sleep just right!:ylsmoke:

One more..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1s8YFR1h8&feature=related

Wow!......if you had a few more of these......you could Power Silverton, Colorado! ....hehe

I think the mic .........is noisier in da wind .............than the turbine!

Last edited by a moderator:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo No Scenic, I set mine up, using two 6' sections of galv fence posting (light and manueverable) and commericial power cable (3-cond) #12 awg wire, wouldn't want it higher using that LIGHT stuff, because of structural strength, now it's packed away for future use

Scenic WonderRunner said:
No 20 foot pole needed near the top of 4 Peaks..........

2008_0618ArizonaSpring20080171.jpg

Jimbo..........

Do you have pics of your wind system in action?

The purpose of the thread is to learn more about wind power for our trips. RV's are already using it. And no reason why this would not be a good addition for the guys with their big rigs heading to South America, etc. on very long trips.

I would like to learn more about it. If I had to carry a 20 foot pole........then I would not be interested. But I don't believe that would be the case. If your rig is already 6' to 12' feet tall........how much taller would you need to go?

Mine is the same as the one on that boat, like I said earlier, Height of the turbine isn't necessary if you have the wind speed

The ALL IMPORTANT things are COMMON grounds and wire size for current , the AIRX manual tells you EVERYTHING about height/wire size

Mine works perfectly, because the wind behind my house never gets over 10/15 mph and the output was up to 6/7 amps, the manual says the turbine REQUIRES about 100 hrs of use to "break in bearings"

Mine is the 12v unit and they also make a 24v, the "contained" computer/micro-section does it all for battery charging and load distribution and shuts down at 14 volts, or when the battery (talks to it), won't overcharge. it also has a Hystereous drag set up for high speed wind controll

The only difficulty with rigging this unit for travel (thats why I got it) is the removal and protection of the blades and you don't want to remove/install just the blades, to often, so a "package" must be made for transportation, I haven't done that yet, although it appears simple and I have MUCH room on top my X to carry it

There's not much chance of rigging one ( legally) for highway use here in California, but you might be able to, in other states (RV's)

Checkout Southwest Windpower, inc (866)8905-9463

or info@windenergy.com
Web is www.windenergy.com

This system is expensive, but I just wanted to add to my Solar panel sys, sorry about the lack of pics, but there was no interest

:REOutIceFishing: :REOutIceFishing: JIMBO

Coachgeo

Explorer
This is what makes the topic of motive wind while driving hard..... cause folk jump to perpetual motion. Am considering wind driven power.. but am not stupid... of course there is no perpetual motion..... there is drag... In my case though want to use diving air in lue of something else that also creates drag... on the motor (an AC compressor). This allows also for multi use and no duplication of AC units. (use same wind unit set up as normal when parked... truck engine off, Use same AC unit for camper box, for cab, for small micro home)

Thought is use what ever wind generator chosen to spin behind or ontop of rig ( if on top laying horizontal) to generate electricity to run electric AC. Have started a thread on this in the Power Generating forum.

PS- BTW it is not unusual for "Small College" students to use a vehicle roof mounted wind generator as a test rig for their research projects. They can control better wind speeds for test that way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste