What can I do with tires/suspension for this PW Traverse van?

CSG

Explorer
I love this van conversion from Pleasure Way out of Canada. It's essentially a Westy on a Ford E-250. It's got the 5.4 V8 and is a standard drive system. I do not want to convert it to 4x4 but would like to get some more clearance. The lowpoints are about 8" (differential, propane tank frame, and sewer dump). The low point on the running boards is 8". I think I might feel better if I could get another 2" of clearance so I could drive more rutted or rocky roads out here in the west.

I just know nothing about this sort of thing and thought maybe I could get some thoughts here. Do I want larger tires than the 245 16"'s that are on there (Michelin LTX M/S). If so, will I have problems with them running into the fender wells? Do I want some sort of lift kit? If so, will it cause some COG problems?

I am not looking to off road with this thing, just drive worse roads than I'm currently comfortable with (mostly improved gravel and dirt roads).

Lastly, would it be possible and worthwhile to change the differential to a limited slip and what real world benefit would I gain in doing so?

I drive my 4x4 2001 GMC 2500 LB, EC pretty much wherever I want to go and almost always in 2 wheel drive. But it has more clearance.

The van:
photo.php

Dang it, why can't I get these photos to open within the post vs. a link?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You have a few options to get a little more clearance.... The best is a Camburg suspension lift, not really worth it for you due to your location. (unless you want an excuse for a road trip to LA) The second is a lift from Action Van. www.actionvansuspension.com. They have a lift kit that consists of drop brackets fro your factory suspension. You can combine that with some fender trimming for some bigger tires. Check out my website to see how my fenders were cut.

A good limited slip in the rear would be great, but you need to verify your rear axle before making a decision. If it has the Dana 60 semi floater, your options are limited. Hope this helps ya!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior