Across the Lesser Sunda islands by Navara

mauricio_28

Adventurer
One week today, I will setting off on my Navara from Jakarta for the Lesser Sunda islands. Barring a call from my employer, the plan is keep heading east, reaching Timor-Leste by mid-January. The rig has less than 7K kilometers on it. I'll be visiting the Nissan dealer in a few days. What spare parts that one can only find at the dealer should I purchase? Belts, air filter, oil filter?

Nomad_K

Adventurer
Sounds like a great trip! As far as parts, is this a petrol/gasoline truck or the new D40 Navara, turbo diesel? The D40 hasn't been out long enough in Thailand for people to break too many things on it... a friend of a friend went through a set of brake pads fairly quickly but seeing how he drives, I am not surprised.

Other than the usual items (belts and filters) maybe some of the Aussies or Kiwis on the forum will have some more info.

Zip ties, coolant, and solder gun. The bottom pan of our radiator is plastic.

And I think the belt is like $190USD or something unreasonable like that.

A good tire plug kit and on-board air are great. :)

mauricio_28

Adventurer
The car's manual doesn't provide any specs for the coolant. The weather here is hot so sub-freezing temperatures are not an issue. Is coolant, for the most part, coolant?

madizell

Explorer
"Coolant" should be a mixture of water and anti-freeze, usually ethylene glycol, in a mixture ratio of around 50/50. While freezing is not an issue in your part of the globe, boil-over can be, and anti-freeze, in addition to the obvious, also increases the boiling point of water. As does the correct pressure in the coolant system, which is why there is a pressure cap on the radiator. Anti-freeze also inhibits corrosion. So, the benefits of running a coolant mixture instead of straight water should be apparent.

madizell said:
"Coolant" should be a mixture of water and anti-freeze, usually ethylene glycol, in a mixture ratio of around 50/50. While freezing is not an issue in your part of the globe, boil-over can be, and anti-freeze, in addition to the obvious, also increases the boiling point of water. As does the correct pressure in the coolant system, which is why there is a pressure cap on the radiator. Anti-freeze also inhibits corrosion. So, the benefits of running a coolant mixture instead of straight water should be apparent.
What he said.

"Coolant" is anti-freeze, which magnifies in both directions the "boil temp" and "freeze temp" of the liquid.

Get some 100%, and mix with water. And purchase a $5USD measuing unit to test your correct mixture.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
The Navara manual recommends 30% anti-freeze (called "coolant" here since there are no freezing temps to speak of) and 70% water for temperate climates.

Just bought and had installed a Carryboy canopy. On my last expedition, you'd swear the locals had never seen a pickup truck with cargo loaded on the bed. The typical question was: "are you moving?"

The Pirelli Scorpion ATR are wearing well. I just rotated them. They provide a good balance between off- and on-road, except in sand and mud. No problems with balancing/pulling. Have been running them at 39psi front / 33 psi rear.

tuju77

Nomad_K said:
Sounds like a great trip! As far as parts, is this a petrol/gasoline truck or the new D40 Navara, turbo diesel? The D40 hasn't been out long enough in Thailand for people to break too many things on it... a friend of a friend went through a set of brake pads fairly quickly but seeing how he drives, I am not surprised.

Other than the usual items (belts and filters) maybe some of the Aussies or Kiwis on the forum will have some more info.

I got my new D40 for 3 days before I noticed something very wrong with the engine, it made a very noisy sound dakk.dakk.dakk & when I brought the car to the dealer they found out that the flywheel was loose & they fit a new one.

It seems that QC in Thailand has some issues because the latest x-trail also suffer some flaws.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Except for faint underbody squeaks, mine is smooth as butter and problem-free so far after 7k km. I'm now in Bali having driven across Java. Leaving for Sumbawa on Tuesday...

madizell

Explorer
Running 30% glycol/70% water is okay where you are. I would be tempted to use a coolant additive like Purple Ice to help keep temperatures down, but my Nissan Frontier is rock solid on temperature control, so additives might not be needed, even at your latitude.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Just got the truck back from the shop. A motorbike made a meter-long scratch on the right side in Java. At one point, the scratch removed the paint altogether, revealing the silver-colored metal underneath. No traces of that ever happening, however, now that it's been taken care of at the shop, all for a whopping US$95...

Nomad_K

Adventurer
mauricio_28 said:
Just got the truck back from the shop. A motorbike made a meter-long scratch on the right side in Java. At one point, the scratch removed the paint altogether, revealing the silver-colored metal underneath. No traces of that ever happening, however, now that it's been taken care of at the shop, all for a whopping US$95...

Labor rates in SE Asia are supposed to be secret, shhhh. Just kidding man - post some pictures when you get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier