Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Corey's 2007 FJ Cruiser built for expedtion/overland, & daily driver

Default Trasheroo Installed 7-22-2017

Bought this years ago, but never got around to putting it on.
    I have trued unsuccessfully for the past few weekends with no luck.
    I know they say on the FJ Cruiser to cross the straps at the top of the tire, but I could not get it to work.
    Plus I have two sets of Maxtrax on the Maxtrax hanger on my tire, and that takes up some room.

If you have a swingout spare tire carrier on your bumper, it is a lot easier to install from from I have read.
    Also a woman I follow on Instagram who has an FJ Cruiser opened up her rear window to get to the straps.
    Since I have a rear ladder, my window will not open far enough to try that trick.

The way the Trasheroo comes is the top and bottom straps are made to hook together, but what I did was take off the buckles and made it so the top straps would connect with each other, and same for the bottom.

And instead of going over the spare tire, I ran the buckles on the top through the big slots on the Maxtrax and connected them and took out as much slack as possible and reran the right strap through the Maxtrax again so it would be tight.

For the bottom two straps I ran the left side behind the Maxtrax, and the right side buckle through one of the Maxtrax slots again.
    The bag is nice and tight, and it not going anywhere, unless a thief decides he wants it.

Stuffed some tall kitchen drawstring trash bags in the upper zippered flap, and according to their site, it can take a 30 gallon trash bag in the main compartment which I will pick up tomorrow during a grocery run.
    That will keep the main compartment clean from liquids and other nasty trash.

Besides using this for trash accumulated during camping trips, it will be used for carrying a firewood bundle.

Links:

Trasheroo, Off Road Spare Tire Trash Bag

Specs

Pics:

Top straps run through the Maxtrax

Bottom straps ran behind the Maxtrax

Trasheroo ready for work

Yep, I know what you mean. I use mine with the mount straps crossed in a X-pattern behind my FJC's spare. Works great, but you have to start with the straps full extended and it can be a pain to get it on securely. If you don't have a tire cover be prepared to have tire marks on your forearms, lol. A friend with a Kaymar swingout tire carrier has it much easier, until he wants to grab his MaxTrax too, lol.

I use 30gal bag as well. Keeping a big roll of heavy 3mil or 5mil thickness bags in the zippered pocket in the cover flap helps keep it from blowing open in case of rain and also for those times when you forget to buckle it down. If you forget and hit the road, the weight of the roll lets it ride along covered just fine.

Also the Trasharoo inspires a small segment of the general public to have minor panic attacks. Be prepared for random strangers waving at you on the highway to tell you that something is falling off the back of your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I will have you know malls are beneath me, I buy from Amazon
    One of the few times I actually want a LIKE button on ExPo.

Quote Originally Posted by SWITAWI View Post
    I use 30gal bag as well. Keeping a big roll of heavy 3mil or 5mil thickness bags in the zippered pocket in the cover flap helps keep it from blowing open in case of rain and also for those times when you forget to buckle it down. If you forget and hit the road, the weight of the roll lets it ride along covered just fine.

Also the Trasharoo inspires a small segment of the general public to have minor panic attacks. Be prepared for random strangers waving at you on the highway to tell you that something is falling off the back of your truck.
    Thanks for the tip on keeping a roll in there to help keep the flap for a flappin'.

One of the few times I actually want a LIKE button on ExPo.
    He he, thanks.
    Mallcrawler, I hate malls.
    I have had multiple Amazon deliveries this week including today and tomorrow

Switawi, got some heavy duty 30 gallon bags today.
    Not sure if they will stand up to a bundle of firewood poking at the bottom of it, but it should protect the inside of the Trasheroo.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Switawi, got some heavy duty 30 gallon bags today. Not sure if they will stand up to a bundle of firewood poking at the bottom of it, but it should protect the inside of the Trasharoo...
    Yeah, firewood will eat those trash bags. I don't use my Trasharoo for firewood, just pile it on my hitch carrier. I can generally find plenty to burn laying around here in South Texas but we're also likely to be under a burn ban on any random weekend anyway, lol.

Yeah, firewood will eat those trash bags. I don't use my Trasharoo for firewood, just pile it on my hitch carrier. I can generally find plenty to burn laying around here in South Texas but we're also likely to be under a burn ban on any random weekend anyway, lol.
    Yep, good old burn bans.
    We were planning on camping next to a nice river in a few weeks on US forest service land where I normally go, but if there is a burn ban in effect (great chance with the dry/hot weather here in Western Washington) then we will go to Mount Rainier National Park where I have gone many a time.
    You can always have a campfire there, different rules in the National Park.

Default Odyssey 34R-PC1500 Extreme Battery Installed 7-28-2017

I was on my second Toyota battery, and it recently started to get weak.
    The original Panasonic one from July of 2006 ran for seven years, and kept the ARB fridge going too on camping trips, as the fridge was not wired to the aux battery.
    Now the second Toyota battery lasted around four years also running the old ARB fridge at times.

My new fridge, the National Luna Weekender 50 Fridge/Freezer is wired directly to the auxiliary battery, and I think that is was ended the Redtop that was in there, as that was also a starting battery.
    The new fridge is doing much better on the Optima Yellowtop since it is a deep cycle one.

Back on topic...after mucho research of what Toyota owners were running for a starting battery, I went with the Odyssey 34R-PC1500 AGM.
    The battery to get years back was the Sears Diehard Platinum, but that went by the wayside, and is no longer available.
    The off-road shop I deal with the owner has a 4Runner, and he is running the same Odyssey they put in my rig today.

The Toyota battery was showing around 12.2v when the engine was off, while the new Optima was showing 12.9 to 13v at rest.
    The new Odyssey is resting right now after the engine being off for two+ hours is 12.8v, and I am sure it will be better once it is fully charged up from driving more.
    The only accessories that will be powered by it will be the two 12v outlets in the rear of the FJ, and the CB, so not really much of a drain on it.
    And the winch is wired to the starting battery too.

Yes, it is a jungle under the hood with the two sets of ARB Intensity LED lights, the Rigid rock lights, the Blue Sea auxiliary fuse box in the passenger footwell side panel (it powers the CB and twin 12v outlets back in the stern), the wires for the solar charge controller for the Powerfilm 60 watt solar panel for the starting battery, and maybe a few other things such as the alarm, dual 12v gauge in the cab, etc.
    Later in the near future the shop will be installing another Blue Sea box or if there is something better and wire it to the new battery, and then run most of the accessories off of it, thus clearing up so many wires going to the positive terminal now.
    I thought about one of those Source controllers where all of your accessories switches are built into it, but I already have the light switches hard wired and mounted to the rig inside, and I want to keep it that way for now.
    Once the new box gets installed, it will look a lot tidier under there for sure.

Links:

ODYSSEY Auto/LTV Battery Model 34R-PC1500T
    (Group 34 with tin-plated brass SAE automotive posts - reversed terminals)

Auburn Car Repair & Offroad

Pics:

Closeup of the new battery

Showing both batteries, and yes Virginia, it is a mess on the new battery which will be rectified before too long.
    In fact after I post this I am going to call up John the shop owner and ask which would be the best box to go with.

The Blue Sea auxiliary box mentioned earlier that is in my footwell kick panel

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223