Looking at an LX470 tomorrow - please discuss

Route55

Adventurer
The fiance's current DD is dying. Her dream vehicle is an LX470. I have been keeping an eye out for one for about a year, kind of looking for a higher mile one we can build.

I am very familiar with the older solid axle rigs, and still rock a 60 myself however the newer stuff not so much.

I have found a mint, inside and out, 2003 LX470 for sale locally for just north of 13k. It has only 130k on the ticker. The price seems about right to me, or am I crazy?

Anything to look out for on these? Any help appreciated.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

v_man

Explorer
As long as you can live with the rust, and there's hopefully some service history, I say squeeze the trigger before the next guy does. If there's one used vehicle you can feel confident about buying it's the 100 series Land Cruiser. 130k is nothing.

And that's a great price here on the West coast...

Route55

Adventurer
And Kudos for finding a woman whose dream car is an LX 470 :Wow1:
Lol thanks! She is my partner in wheeling, and in our offroad business. We used to have a triple locked LX450 and I didn't realize how much she loved it till it was gone. She did want better mpgs and a little more refinement so thus why the lust for the LX470.

Fjryan

The newbie guide is good. I got one, same year, down the road in Ohio for a similar price. Rust is a consideration because I looked at 4-5 that had bad rust. The one I got had surface rust but nothing real bad. The others were rough. It depends on the previous owner and how they cared for the truck. I took mine to a Lexus dealer for the once over and they let me watch over the technician's shoulder while he checked it. There's a list of LC mechanics on the 60 series page of Ih8mud if you want to find one up there.
I'm tracking down a driveline clunk in mine but it's been a great truck so far. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Route55

Adventurer
The newbie guide is good. I got one, same year, down the road in Ohio for a similar price. Rust is a consideration because I looked at 4-5 that had bad rust. The one I got had surface rust but nothing real bad. The others were rough. It depends on the previous owner and how they cared for the truck. I took mine to a Lexus dealer for the once over and they let me watch over the technician's shoulder while he checked it. There's a list of LC mechanics on the 60 series page of Ih8mud if you want to find one up there.
I'm tracking down a driveline clunk in mine but it's been a great truck so far. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've been a mechanic and in the car business for 20 plus years so I'll be able to give it a good go through. Basically I was looking for opinions on price, and if there is some little thing specific to look out for on those rigs, kind of like the PHH on the 80 series, oil pan rust on the 7.3 Fords, frame cracking by the steering box on square body Chevys, etc.

Does anybody know of that "one thing" specific to 100 series to watch out for?

Route55

Adventurer
Well I was mistaken, it is an '02, not an '03 so it is just before the update. I'm thinking this affects the price a bit, thoughts?

zephyrmist

Gas is an easy consideration, it's PARTS!

I would say this about the gas, in goes in easy! I get 15.8 avg, sometimes 17 on how, 12 city, but overall 15.8. Many jeeps and trucks don't get that, so big deal.
Parts on the other hand are extremely expensive, especially OEM, and they're hard to come by. I would like to replace my headlamps due to spider cracks and dingy looks. Most places want between $279.00 -$379.00 per side just for the housing's! I also need new center caps as someone stole mine…$199.00-250.00 for a set of 4!!!

Anyone have any center caps for sale, Lexus brand!? Headlamp assembly's?

BEG

Adventurer
Understand the AHC system and know how to test it when you go to look at it. The AHC is a robust system and I prefer it to a conventional suspension, but it can be expensive to replace if the components have not been taken care of.

The heater hose tees issue is nothing compared to the 80 series PHH, so don't sweat it. Replacement is easy, cheap and permanent.

I've never been faced with the master cylinder assembly, though I've heard it mentioned. Not sure how common it really is.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Just read as much as you can on ih8mud.com.

No real reason to ask here too. It's all been covered there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Check for rust on the underside of the upper tailgate, that even gets the cars here in VA. The 2002 I believe has the 4 speed auto versus the 5 speed in 2003+. As a consequence, it tends be a price bump in that era. For a 2002 with 130K, price seems OK, but it sounded better as a 2003.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles