Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about greater Seattle offroad/expedition scene

Default Tell me about greater Seattle offroad/expedition scene

Looks like after 50+ years of living on the East Coast I will be moving to the North West.

The move will be in the next 6 months and will be within 1 hours drive of downtown Seattle.

I assume with the varied terrian it should be a wheelers/expo paradise.

Is there a good club/group of like minded people I could join?

How about some good trails etc etc.*

Any info will help being I have spent a total 4 days there to date!

Thanks in advance.

*check my build to see my rigs capabilities.

Take a look at this site, http://northwestoverland.com/
    Larrie
    "A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." Jon Pertwee, as Dr. Who in The Time Warrior.

Solo travel - 2004 Toyota 4Runner, slow build.
    Extended trips with family - 2002 Ford E350 extended body camper with Colorado Camper Van pop top.
    Daily driver - 1998 Plymouth Neon, 182,xxx miles and running great.

Use to live up there, Redmond, Woodinville, Kirkland, etc area. Happy to give you some ideas and point you in the direction of a wonderful group of wheelers. Check out timber tamers they have a FB page and website.
    1942 Ford GPW
    1995 Jeep Wrangler
    1995 Jeep Wrangler
    1981 CJ 7
    1991 Jeep Wrangler
    1998 Jeep Wrangler, Current

And about forty vehicles in between from barley running to what my wife said was a $40,000 lawn ornament. 2WD, 4WD, AWD, Two door, Four door, hatch, sedan, truck, sports car, wagon, SUV, you name it I have probably owned it.

Bryrick J.P. Shillam
    portlandres.com

"It's All About The Relationship."

1 hour from downtown , so about 5 miles:-)

Yeah we got a few mountains around here, should be able to find a few things to your liking. As Luinil said, start with Northwestoverland, lots of trips set up there, long and short, all kinds of areas and terrain.

1 hour from downtown... north or south? If north, then US 2 will be your first friend. LOTS of places close-ish start on US 2. If south, then the Mt Rainier area will be a great place to start. As someone who grew up on the Dry Side of Washington, we spent a lot of time finding all the non paved roads that linked to other non paved roads that kinda linked via logging roads and ended up on the Wet Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Meili View Post
    I assume with the varied terrian it should be a wheelers/expo paradise.
    - you are correct

Get familiar with the National Forests in the area, there's a lot of territory. https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/ The Cascades will give you quite a variety of climates, terrain, etc. The Olympics are also incredible. You'll be exploring for years to come and still be amazed with the region.

Also, close the door behind you, we have too many people moving to Seattle (although it is bumping my home value quite a bit).
    "If something's gonna happen, it'll happen out there" -Capt. Ron
    2012 F350/6.7l d w/Hallmark K2
    2016 2dr JK Rubicon

Thanks for the info.

My wife got an offer from Virginia Mason Hospital we could not refuse.

Not sure where we will ending up.

House hunting on line, I see what you mean by "bumped" value!

[QUOTE=Meili;2402343]
    The move will be in the next 6 months and will be within 1 hours drive of downtown Seattle.

Is there a good club/group of like minded people I could join?

QUOTE]

We lived in Seattle until 2001 when we moved to Boise. We still go back often. When they say, "1 hour from downtown....so 5 miles" they aren't kidding. When I left in 2001 my commute was from Northgate to Mercer Island and it took 45 minutes. We owned a house in the Northgate area and would drive down to Safeco Field for ballgames on Sunday afternoon.....7 miles from our house to the area we liked to part at off Airport Way, 45 minutes...on a Sunday at 11:00 am.

We kept that house after we moved but sold it in 2015. The value as gone up on it another 30% since then, so says my real estate agent who sold it for me.

I read an article that stated in 2015 alone, 85k people moved to Seattle in that calendar year alone. Even if that number is off, I can say that the population has grown like crazy over the last 3 years.

Anyway.....on to your questions!

I second NWOL. Great group. They hold a great rally in Plain WA every June....you need to work on your schedule to attend next summer.

But I would also mention Overland Bound. They are international, but have regional sections within the US as well including a Northwest Region.

Both NWOL and OB are on Facebook as well. They both have trip planning and forums too.

Also, since you'll be near Canada...check out Forgotten British Columbia (it has a .ca website). We met them at the NWOL Rally last year. Great stuff there too.
    The three rules to Mountaineering: "1 - Look Good. 2 - Act Cool. 3 - Safety Third."

wheeling? no, we don't have wheeling here. Rains all the time, buy a boat....

come to the Rally in June, you'll meet all sorts of offroad enthusiasts.

Here's an example of a couple fruitcakes out wheeling

Welcome to the Northwest. Yes, we've got coastal areas, rainforests, huge volcanic mountains, and some real dry country, east of the Cascades.

Lake Chelan:

Cool mountain roads to beautiful places:

Interesting weather - this was an October trip with NWOL:

And all sorts of other interesting places to explore!

Canada is just a short jaunt away as well.

Regards, Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast