Seeking Direction - Searching for the "Right" Gen 2.5 Monty

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I've always been a fan of the Gen 1, 2, and especially 2.5 styling. This last year I converted my decades of "road tripping" and "camping" into the cumulative hobby of "overlanding" by building an XJ and hitting the trail. When my wife started asking for more space for our big Akbash Dog I initially started browsing the FJ80's, then moved to the 100-Series, but I have a hard-time doing what everyone else is doing. That's when I came across a forum post here about Gen 2.5's versus Troopers.

I read that thread, then spent all day at work looking for a Gen 2.5 Montero, but have found them to be hen's teeth at the moment. Is this the norm, or is there a website or forum where they're all hiding? I've been looking all day and have found the following (nearest-to-furthest):

#1) 1999 Black w/ 158,000 miles w/out the Winter Package for $4,999 (Great Shape. No Rust. One Owner)
#2) 1998 Red w/ 176,000 miles w/ Winter Package for $2,800 (Has it's Dents and Wear. No Rust. 2nd Owner)
#3) 1999 White w/ 97,000 miles w/ Winter Package for $3,000 (Immaculate Bod, but has Rust. 3rd Owner)

A) Is #1 worth the dough? It's really clean, but at the max of my "phase 1 budget" for my next platform and I have a list of basic to-do's, which I'd like to get at least one or two of them done inside my $5,000 budget.

B) Is the Winter Package all that important, or hard to add later? - I know it can be swapped from another locker equipped Montero fro a wider range of years. I don't currently have lockers on my XJ and it's done the CO BDR and 100 miles of sand on the Texas coast without issue. - I'm not thinking it's an issue, but if it's a pain to retro-fit, I'd rather just wait and find one like #2.

C) Is #2 worth flying 1,200 miles to pick-up and driving it back over the weekend? It has some basic maintenance items addressed and seems like it's an "overland build" in progress, but is being cut-loose. This may be my avenue into the world of the Gen 2.5...Thoughts?

Basic To-Do:
OME 2.5" Lift - $869
33x10.5R16 (x5) - $1,000 (second-hand)
ARB Front Bumper - $1,200 (second-hand hen's teeth)
Material for Roof Rack and Rear Ladder - $200
Pajero Snorkel - $180
Pajero Branding - $40

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

KyleT

Explorer
You want the winter package mainly for the locker. Keep looking they pop up. And I would have a hard time paying anything more than 4K for one especially If it didn’t have the timing belt done recently. More around 3k imo. And personally I would pass any one with rust since you want to build it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swank Force One

Adventurer
So the "is it worth" it question is going to have two viewpoints.

One being the people that got their trucks for pennies and made out ok, or got their trucks for pennies and are ignoring the money they dumped in them to baseline them, or are seeing the trucks pop up around the country for cheap. (Roll transport costs into purchase price) I flew across the country to buy mine for $3k. I don't think it was a great deal, but i wanted it, it looked cool. I think between plane ticket, a mid-trip oil change, food, and gas on the way back, i spent around $900 to retrieve it. It needs a lot of work to get to my standards, but i knew i was getting a project, and realistically over the term of ownership, paying an extra $1-2k because you were impatient or didn't do your research in the name of a fly and drive adventure for something that looks rad.... is not a big deal.

The other viewpoint is that yeah... you CAN get one of these for pennies. And you MIGHT make out like a bandit. The reality is that i think a nice Gen2.5 costs $5-6k. Whether you get there by buying a $3k truck across the country and spending some money and elbow grease on making it nice, or paying $5-6k for one that's already turnkey and ready to rock, is up to you.

$3k turn-key needs nothing isn't going to happen. No way no how. $5-6k turn-key needs nothing... maybe. Problem is that the sample pool is low.

TLDR: I don't think any of those examples are offensively priced. I saw the 97k mile one you're talking about online. It's intriguing to me. I was/am considering grabbing it for my wife. I don't like what little i'm seeing of the frame, but it still looks solid. And it's cheap enough i could just pay a shop to blast and POR15 it and not care. I've seen the black non-WP as well. I think in terms of it being a good truck, it's a solid buy. I just have a hard time with the price in the context that it doesn't have the locker. But... 4.27s suck, so just slam some 4.63s from an SR in it.

Last edited:

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Here's a curve ball for you that I just got wind about. It's unlisted and the owner is asking $6,000...

1998 GEN 2.5 MONTERO 4X4
140,000 MILES
3" BODY LIFT
TRANSFER CASE EXTENDED SHIFTER
FRONT LOCKING MANUAL HUBS
FRONT BUMPER WITH FOG LIGHTS, NO WINCH
35" EXCELLENT TIRES W/SPARE, ALL ON NEW RIMS
ROCK SLIDERS WELDED IN PLACE
GAS TANK RAISED
REAR LOCKER
MOON ROOF
HEATED LEATHER SEATS
A/C WORKS VERY WELL
2 KEY FOBS

TIMING BELT AND ALL TENSIONERS DONE
WATER PUMP DONE
VALVE STEM SEALS DONE
REAR CAM SEALS DONE
UPDATED CRANK BOLT DONE
NEW CRANK TIMING GEAR
NEW ALTERNATOR
NEW BATTERY
FULL TUNE-UP W/ PLUGS, WIRES, ETC.
NEW FRONT SHOCKS
NEW THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR

Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
If it looks and drives nice, and there's proof of the latest work, probably a solid buy. Will need gears. 35s are atrocious with the 4.27s. Source: Currently have 35s with stock 4.27s.

3" body lift isn't a "plus" or a selling point, in my book. 2" maybe. There's no reason for a 3" though, and i'd be taking a long hard look at the brake lines at that point.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Heard from one of the two brother's who did the work for the older man who owns it. They all say the man's wife is the only driver of the vehicle for groceries and since being bought and built it's only been off-road 3 times. You may know this more so than I, but I read that the 3" body lift helps accommodate the fuel tank tuck. Would it be possible to reduce the body lift to 2"? - I'd rather have that, so I can upgrade the suspension to OME without gaining TOO much lift.

As for the wheels/tires, I'd likely trade them for a set of 33's.

What would you offer for it? I'm not the best negotiator, but I think somewhere around $4,500 would be fair given the current market.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that the sliders are welded in place, in other words you are kind of stuck with the body lift unless you cut the sliders off. Overall it sounds like it was poorly put together, find a stock rig and build it how you want it.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Heard from one of the two brother's who did the work for the older man who owns it. They all say the man's wife is the only driver of the vehicle for groceries and since being bought and built it's only been off-road 3 times. You may know this more so than I, but I read that the 3" body lift helps accommodate the fuel tank tuck. Would it be possible to reduce the body lift to 2"? - I'd rather have that, so I can upgrade the suspension to OME without gaining TOO much lift.

As for the wheels/tires, I'd likely trade them for a set of 33's.

What would you offer for it? I'm not the best negotiator, but I think somewhere around $4,500 would be fair given the current market.

If you're going to run 33s, i'd suggest a truck without a body lift, but with an ADD suspension lift.

I probably wouldn't buy this one for your purposes.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
That's probably a good idea. He said he would email me all of his meticulous maintenance records and record of all work done otherwise.

That said, I expanded my search and found a few more. One has 180k and they're only asking $1,700 because the old man who owned it gave up driving and now his son is selling it. He's sent me a dozen pictures and a video of it running and said it doesn't have any rust (it was a Virginia car). However, it doesn't have the Winter Package, but at $1,700 and a $200 plane ticket, I can hardly complain about that. - What do you think?

The other's I found are range from $1,200 to $6,200 all in stock form with Winter Packages. I also found an 1997 Gen 2 SR w/ SOHC 3.5L for $1,950.

In what scenario would you forgo the Winter Package in favor of a good deal? What price point and mileage gets to be too good to pass up?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Knowing what i know now... i would personally start with a 98-00 WITHOUT the winter package, to get the base cloth interior. I hate leather. I wouldn't care about the lack of locker, because the 4.27s are garbage and need to be swapped out anyways, so i'd handle a locker as i put together 4.90s on the side.

The thing is... is that from my searches, it's easier to find a 98-00 WP truck than a base in the same years. Keep in mind a 2000 will not have a locker from factory, no matter if it has the WP or not.

Honestly, due to a lot of the other stupid changes (door handles, linkages, and window switches), i'm not even sure if i would do another 98-00. Literally the only advantage is cosmetic. I prefer the earlier amber-print gauges, i hate the wood, i hate the leather, i hate the airbag dash, i hate that i can't find replacement exterior door handles, i hate that i can't get my hands on a linkage to replace my messed up one in my driver rear door, etc. If you can live without the cool body, it's far easier to swap the one REAL advantage the 98-00 has over the earlier trucks, to the earlier trucks. That being the headlights.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Would you say a running, driving, clean Gen 2.5, with a recent top-end rebuild and 190k miles would be worth $1,700? It doesn't have the rear locker, but at this point I'm thinking it'll save me a couple grand that i can use for upgrades. Based on the distance, it'd cost me about $400 to retrieve it.

41300.jpg

41306.jpeg

41303.jpeg

41302.jpeg

41307.jpeg

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Sure absolutely. That's a tiny risk. What's the worst that can REALLY happen?

If it drives fine, generally looks decent, and isn't a rusty pile, go for it.

PM me the link to that thing if you pass on it. I'm shopping for my wife.

PacS14

Adventurer
Honestly I would buy that truck at that price and invest on the stuff later. Yes I bought one with the Winter package and same burgundy color and the only thing I don't like is the leather. I bought mine for $2500 and still had to do a bunch of maintenance. I have not had to actually use the rear locker at all, I have used it to test it out and just because, but no real life need.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Swank, I just PM'd you. - It looks like it's coming down to two vehicles for me. Either the red one above, or this blue one I found for $2,600. In talking with the owner I've found that it has 189k on the clock and the timing belt was done at 174k. Everything works, it has no leaks or overheating issues, and only needs a window placed back on it's tracks and a new set of tires. I am leaning toward's it because it's my favorite color and it has the Winter Package.

41114.jpeg

EDIT --> Done! The plan is to fly into California next Saturday and pick up the blue Monty and drive it home to Texas.

Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
You must have a better search method than i do. :) If i had found that one, it wouldn't have been yours. Congrats!

Got your PM, i'll shoot you a text later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94