My wheel base is so long...

mccustomize

Explorer
jlXEeoq.jpg

Gray duramax is at 157ish in this picture, my blue truck is 146ish, some spots are tight but the duramax has an 05+ super duty Dana60 and the turning is incredible on that axle.

I'm swapping to a Super duty 60 as well with even more steering than the duramax with his relatively stock axle.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
160" F250 CCSB.

Turning circle is tighter than the Frontier above? LOLz.
Doesn't greater width give you a tighter turning circle? Something to do with the geometry of steering?
I'm pretty sure my Suburban (130" WB) has a tighter turning circle than the Extra-cab Ford Ranger (127" WB) that I used to have.

Josh41

Adventurer
Doesn't greater width give you a tighter turning circle? Something to do with the geometry of steering?
I'm pretty sure my Suburban (130" WB) has a tighter turning circle than the Extra-cab Ford Ranger (127" WB) that I used to have.

I don't know, but what I understand from Nissan boards is that there are stops on the steering on the Frontier, this may be to prevent tire rub. This thing has the WORST turning circle I have ever encountered.

SnowedIn

Observer
I don't know, but what I understand from Nissan boards is that there are stops on the steering on the Frontier, this may be to prevent tire rub. This thing has the WORST turning circle I have ever encountered.

I have a short bed and it already turns like a boat. Multi-point turns just getting out of regular parking lots.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Bigger diameter tires also increase the turning radius. When I pull a u-turn, I have to go way out into the intersection. This confuses people in cars who whip around and then get embarrassed when I come around behind them.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Bigger diameter tires also increase the turning radius. When I pull a u-turn, I have to go way out into the intersection. This confuses people in cars who whip around and then get embarrassed when I come around behind them.

Are they embarrassed, or frightened your truck will devour them whole... :victory:

steelhd

Observer
141 inch WB 2nd gen Tacoma. Good kick out sliders make a world of difference. No skids other than factory but as long as I stay sharp, go slow, and respect the limitations of an IFS front with poor turning radius and breakover angle all is well. With the rear locker and ATRAC it gets me into and out of places where I probably don't belong. That said it ain't a Jeep. My modified TJ doesn't even blink at terrain that will stop the Taco stone cold. But they are different vehicles for very different purposes.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide

I doubt it. I could turn so tightly in my '97 Cherokee it would make you dizzy. I think the problem with the turning here is ifs verses straight axle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles