My wheel base is so long...

I can't resist... I'll just leave this here for you all. Obviously not set up for "heavy offroad" more for really bad roads, though open desert is fine. Turning radius can be a slight challenge but mostly its width/height that causes trouble in the tight stuff. With all 4 axles locked in 8 wheel drive, traction isn't usually an issue.

Driver Side Snake.jpg
Passenger Side Snake.jpg

In the desert down on the Snake River in Idaho

First night campground cropped.jpg

First (and last) night in a traditional campground. They were thrilled when I fired up the turbo diesel the next morning. :)

Picking up HERMTT.JPG

Standing next to HERMTT for scale of wheelbase (and height).

con kso

Adventurer
WangosTango - your truck is stupidly cool. I'd probably be the guy who corners you at the gas pump with a million questions - that thing is just sick.

I saw that you were thinking about doing airbags - I have some coming right now that I'm going to install but I'm also thinking that I'll go do the Deaver leafspring thing - even though it's a F350 it seems that most of the flatbed set ups still go with additional leafsprings. I guess the weight adds up fast. Your thoughts?

Super interested in your camper's set up. How did you finish out the inside? I really like to hear about the reasons why people make the decisions that they do. For me, I l went with the FWC because having the little dinette to the left of the entry way as a permanent place for someone to sit, out of the way of the cooking area, was really important to me. I'm a saltwater fly fisherman so I know I'm going to tie millions of flies right there. Would love to hear why you made your decisions.

As for the dimensions on your truck, if it works for what you do, well then it's perfect isn't it? I do 80% of my "rough road" driving in Baja (I live in San Diego and since I'm a teacher I have lots of free time to get down there) getting to and from spots that I like to hang out at. So for me, "offroad" is miles and miles of washboard, sandy arroyos and most of all driving over sand beaches. Like I said before, there are a few spots where making tight turns is more comfortable with a tighter turning radius. But most of all, it's getting over sand and washboard. So, for me, good tires, robust shocks and a good air down (I've got Staun deflators) and air up are important (fabricator is installing ARB dual cylinder pump, tank and quickconnects on my flatbed). What and where do you guys mostly drive?

I had a 2003 F250 a few years ago and the one thing I remember is the front end got all loosey/goosey, torn up from driving down there - with my truck, 2017 F350, is there any front end modification you'd suggest to keep the steering tight? I usually carry a dirtbike on a front hitch too just in case that figures into anything.

To keep things topic related - when I had my longbed, crew cab, F250 I was able to drive down the last hill onto the point at Santa Rosallilita (volcanic rock hill with some some 2' - 3' steps and boulder sections - nothing technical but more than able to do damage if driven recklessly) and I never scraped the bottom. I think it was more a matter of having a buddy tell me where to put my tires, and not being afraid to get out and stack rocks, then it was having a better break-over angle etc.

Yes!!!
Turning that thing might give me a heart attack, but man the toys I could bring.

I've been known to run over a few bushes along the way. There is a window in the footwell of the driver's side so you can what you're about to drive over (also to spot your fording depth). We can bring quite alot with us; you can fit a full size snowmobile in the back garage.

Jeez! How do you change a tire on that beast?

Carefully! I've got big bottle jacks and air tools onboard. The crane above the cab is used to get the spare down. I've not had to do it myself yet but have been told that using leverage it is doable by one person.

WangosTango

Con Kso,
Sorry for the late response, had replied earlier but the internet must have dropped out because its gone.
Anyway, thanks for the kind words.
Get asked a lot of questions, but love it, because I love trucks/campers and I ask a bunch my self. Even got the flatbed idea from a guy on wander the west.
Have gone back and forth on airbags, lifts etc. Think we are going with a custom set of springs from deaver. Will add on board air, but airbags just scare me a bit.
Love FWC, almost bought a hawk before going to bigger trucks. Went ATC because they let me design it the way we wanted. Nothing crazy, just a little different. No fixed dinette, have four feet of length in the back that is open space. We set up a folding table and chairs in camp, when on the move it gives more storage. Plus, I don't find most dinettes comfortable. Really looked hard at the grandby flatbeds, but just wanted a simpler set up. Saved a fair amount of cash as well.
Have fox dual stabilizers in the front, maybe a little overkill, but no bump steer issues. Fox 2.0 on the corners. Truck was pretty capable off the lot, did level it, but then had to add a taller block and helper springs once the camper is on. Was going the Carli lift, air bag route, but the cost has me leaning to a custom spring pack.
Our off road driving sounds similar to yours. I have put this one and its predecessor in some tight spots, but no real carnage to date. Baja was awesome. I have the same deflators as you, but should use them more.
Want a different bumper, but waiting a while. Would like to stay married, and while she loves this stuff as much as anyone, 3k for a bumper sets her hair on end.
Photos of your set up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles