Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turtleback Trailer Custom Build Thread

Got a little more work done on the trailer yesterday.

Started by installing new Stainless steel hardware, I went with extra long bolts so I could get a 2" smooth shoulder for the arms to pivot on. I'll cut the excess threaded portion off at some point.

I removed the 8 lug wheels and adapters, then replaced them with 6 lug adapters and wheels to match my Trail Edition 4Runner.

I welded on a stop to keep the upper roof rack from rotating too far forward. It works great, but I'm sure someday it'll collect some DNA.

I installed three 2x2 cross braces on the rack. I intent to bolt the tent directly to these cross braces and skip the factory aluminum tent adapter rail due to it being 1" tall and me wanting to eliminate height.

I also spaced out and reinstalled the aluminum runners to protect the top. I'll likely keep a pair of camp tables under the collapsed rack while traveling.

Finally I installed 4 linch pins which ensure the raised rack/tent doesn't collapse once in the up right position. I do not intent to drive with the tent in the up position.

I believe this ready for disassembly and a coating of monstaliner
    Last edited by JCDriller; 12-28-2017 at 02:25 AM.
    2016 Toyota 4Runner TEP Mag Grey
    Turtleback Utility Trailer Build

In an effort to save a few $ I decided to keep the very nice Turtleback long boxes and place them both on the drivers side. So tonight I spent a couple hours removing the small side boxes and preparing to relocate the passenger's side long box to the drivers side. These boxes will serve as our clothes/kids toys,etc storage as they will be under the annex when the tent is deployed.

The passenger's side is all cleaned up and ready to mount my custom Truck box when it is delivered.

Finally in an effort to cover a few holes that where already in one of the side boxes I installed a bottle opener and a bottle cap catcher. It's not perfectly center b/c I was trying to cover the holes, but it doesn't look too bad.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

As always, your work is fantastic. Great plan, superb execution.
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    Sawtooth XL http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...light=sawtooth
    1980 BMW R80/7

"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by DanCooper View Post
    As always, your work is fantastic. Great plan, superb execution.
    Thanks Dan!

I didn’t have much time to work on the trailer tonight but I got one of the struts installed, they are going to work perfectly. They are 8.25-14” and 200lbs each, but the force isn’t vertical so this 1 alone makes the rack almost neutral, the second should offset the tent pretty well.

I finally got my rack finished with Monstaliner, installed and my tent mounted. I had the pull the trailer out of the shop while it was snowing an mount the tent using the tractor so I have NO photos of that activity! Towed the trailer back home and got it in my garage (Family's shop and garage ~3 hours apart). To get the trailer in my garage I had to install 15" steel wheels w/ no tires. Even with the lifting roof rack my old *** garage is too short. I'll be moving in 6 months, our next house will have an oversized garage so hopefully it'll fit without having to swap wheels.

In other news the struts work OK, once I get the tent lifted about 4-6" they take over, but that 4-6" is VERY heavy. I literally have to stand on the rear leveling jack, put the tent platform on my shoulder and lift with darn near everything I've got to get it open. So I need to add a second pair of struts towards the rear and see if that helps. My concern is that the more force I add holding the tent open, the harder it will be to close it. I can stand at the front and put it backwards, but once it gets to the point where the jacks don't do much it closes REALLY hard. Still need to perfect this system...

Since I posted last I've had an avalanche of parts show up. So far I've gotten my turtleback propane tanks mounted, mud flaps added, rotopax and Frontrunner Braai installed.

The following is in hand awaiting install

Alu-Cab Shadow Awning w/ mounts
    2 Group 31 Odyssey's
    Powermandia Turbo M235 dual battery charger
    2000w Xantrex ProWatt Inverter w/ Remote on/off and Shore power auto transfer switch
    MorningStar Sunsaver MPPT solar charger w/ remote panel
    Victron 712 Smart Battery Monitor
    Ton's of Blue Sea electrical bits
    ARB 63qt all weather fridge
    OXX BOX Coffee Maker
    Propex 2211 external propane heater
    L5 Propane water heater
    Partner 22" stove
    Water pump, plumbing bits, propane parts. etc...
    Still waiting on my custom kitchen tool box to arrive

My Midgit Turtle covered in salt, snow and gravel...

All the goodies awaiting install.
    Last edited by JCDriller; 01-19-2018 at 04:04 AM.

Looking good. I see your from Johnson County, grew up as a kid Edwardsville/Bonner Springs, but living in Jefferson City, MO now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12