Lexus LX or GX for newbie

Saenzm

Hi all. Looking to buy an older model Lexus for daily driver plus some mild overlanding on the weekends. I want to do a partial build:rims, tires, lift maybe some bumpers. I will likely pull a small adventure trailer behind.

I am leaning towards a GX, but wondering what you guys might recommend. Are there things I should consider between the two (i.e. aftermarket parts market, cost to upgrade, etc).
I have found both models around 10k with under 130K miles.

Just looking for some thoughts to consider.

Thanks,
Mark

Saenzm

Sorry, hit reply too quick. It's a 2001. Rear shocks are worn, but I was figuring I was going to replace the suspension anyway. Is there a lift kit for the LXs or is the 2.5" OME the only option? i talked to a shop and they said OME was the only option.

Thanks,
Mark

Sorry, hit reply too quick. It's a 2001. Rear shocks are worn, but I was figuring I was going to replace the suspension anyway. Is there a lift kit for the LXs or is the 2.5" OME the only option? i talked to a shop and they said OME was the only option.

Thanks,
Mark

There is also Icon. I would search IH8MUD since I think there might be a few more.

If priced the same with same mileage get the LX - it's a bigger car and can tow more, but also going to be more sluggish. I test drove a 09 GX and thought it was kind of sluggish; an LX with same motor and additional 1,000lbs would be worse so test drive both if you can. LX is worse on gas. I'd be cautious about any LX priced the same as a comparable year/mileage GX because it's likely to need a lot more work than the GX. Most will go for the lift kit and get rid of electronically adjustable shocks and adjustable height system as it's cheaper than fixing back to stock. If your planning on replacing with stock parts then price it out - probably going to be real expensive and will likely need new air bags and shocks. Look at the GX and LX's for sale on IH8Mud forum and you will get an idea of what the normal updating required on a higher mileage GX or LX. Think timely oil changes are key for taking any car into 200K+ miles so look at those records closely. Even one owner cars could of been passed down to their kido's that give little thought to oil changes.

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer

Thanks,
Mark

OME also has a 1.5 inch lift for that beast. If you buy it and want to go 2.5, then there's the new upper control arms and differential drop kit that should be added, bringing your bill to 2K in parts alone. Meh, I'd just buy some new shocks and wouldn't even consider dumping the stock wheels.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
The Lexus should have height control on it already. I believe it is a hydraulic system. If you get the LX chances are you are all set to lift it from the factory via the ride height adjustment.

BEG

Adventurer
The LX is built on the 100 platform, the GX on the 120. Both are Land Cruisers. The LX edges out the GX in ruggedness but both are great platforms. Comes down to size, I would say. There are a few more aftermarket for the LX/100 platform, but the GX market is no slouch. You could probably find a better deal on an LX than a GX, since they seem to be undervalued in some markets. The AHC (hydraulic suspension) is great on the LX, so long as it's been taken care of. Lifting is just a matter of pressing a button. If you want a higher neutral position, you can just adjust the height sensors and crank the t-bars/ add coil spacers as needed to get the hydraulic pressure back into spec. Not sure about the GX's air system's ruggedness/reliability.

chunko

Observer
Air suspension system on the GX is ok for street driving and the self leveling is nice to have for towing. However, it is not so good off road as it bottoms out easily and doesn't articulate well. You can adjust the height sensors to gain a free lift but it makes the ride harsher and you run the risk of a bag blowing of road.

The good news is that it is built on the 120 platform so any suspension system available for the Prado, 4Runner and FJC will bolt on which is what a lot of owners (that lift it) are doing. You need rubber spring isolators from those same vehicles to do the conversion but that's about it in added cost.

The after market is really gaining traction for the GX with at least 5 or 6 unique metal bumpers out there and even a couple roof rack options. Sliders and skids are the same as the 4R. I would check out GXOR on face book or the 120 forum on IH8Mud to see what can be done with the GX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I ended up with a GX after tiring of searching for a good 100 series. I wish I searched longer and will likely move on from the GX at some point. The GX is a fine SUV, but it isn't a landcruiser. The air suspension is poor and expensive to maintain stock if it fails. The rear swingout door grows more annoying everyday. But the drivetrain is great and makes for a faster truck than the LC/LX (I'm shocked somebody thought it was sluggish). If you want something smaller than a LX/LC, it is a decent alternative, although if I had to do it over again I would have just got a 4Runner to be rid of the air suspension and stupid rear door.

If you really want a 100 series, I don't think you will find the GX a fitting replacement. But if you like the GX for what it is, and can accept its suspension and rear door, than by all means get that. For me, a 100 series is better in every way short of speed.

chunko

Observer
If you really want a 100 series, I don't think you will find the GX a fitting replacement. But if you like the GX for what it is, and can accept its suspension and rear door, than by all means get that. For me, a 100 series is better in every way short of speed.

Yes the GX is not going to be the same as a Land Cruiser, obviously. You won't be happy if you're set on a LC.

The rear door can get annoying for some but as I mentioned in my previous post, the air suspension should not be a huge deterrent for a couple reasons, especially if you are going to lift it. First, you can use it as a negotiation tactic when buying one as the OEM parts are expensive and, second, you can swap in any current setup that's out there for any other 120 series vehicle.

For example, I found a set of almost new long travel, progressive springs and 2.5" radflo shocks that came out of a 4R build for less than $600. I haven't had time to install and I'm still on tricked air suspension. Want stock height? Find a set of FJC takeoffs on Craigslist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MTSN

Explorer
What year LX? There are different engines and transmissions. Either way, under 130k miles for under 10k is a steal for a LX.

A little misleading. The engine in the 100 is the same 4.7 from 98 through late 05 when they simply added VVTI, and the transmission was the same 4 speed from 98-02 then replaced with a 5 speed from 03 on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne