Full JL Specs released

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Watched a video with Mark Allen walking around it. Really like all the detail that went into the Jeep. The side vents are functional and help relieve under hood pressure so no more hood flutter! Also like the fact that the windshield is super easy to fold down. I have always wanted to fold down mine in my JK but 28 bolts and the possibility of it leaking doesn't sound fun.

dstock

Explorer
Watched a video with Mark Allen walking around it. Really like all the detail that went into the Jeep. The side vents are functional and help relieve under hood pressure so no more hood flutter! Also like the fact that the windshield is super easy to fold down. I have always wanted to fold down mine in my JK but 28 bolts and the possibility of it leaking doesn't sound fun.

Yeah saw that one too. Cool stuff!

Steve F

Adventurer
Do we know the fuel tank size? I can live with the 3.6 fuel consumption if it has a bigger fuel tank than now, looks like we wont get the 3.0 diesel here in Australia so just hoping they have improved the distance between fills. As it stands right now I need to take 2 jerry cans of fuel with my 2 door on most outback trips, and there are some that are just not feasible as the amount of fuel that I'd have to carry (2 door or 4 door) just doesn't make sense. Just hoping the tank has grown up a bit 100L would be awesome, 160L would be better considering Toyotas here are up around the 150L mark and have a range of 1500km :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F

Adventurer
Do we know the fuel tank size? I can live with the 3.6 fuel consumption if it has a bigger fuel tank than now, looks like we wont get the 3.0 diesel here in Australia so just hoping they have improved the distance between fills. As it stands right now I need to take 2 jerry cans of fuel with my 2 door on most outback trips, and there are some that are just not feasible as the amount of fuel that I'd have to carry (2 door or 4 door) just doesn't make sense. Just hoping the tank has grown up a bit 100L would be awesome, 160L would be better considering Toyotas here are up around the 150L mark and have a range of 1500km :)

Cheers
Steve

Scratch that, looks like it is still 18.6 gallons, or 70 lt :(

Cheers
Steve

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Cheers
Steve

You'll get a 2.2 turbo diesel, and likely it will have a 6 speed option.
In a lot of ways, I would prefer that to the 3.0 with auto.

I will be interested to see what gets better mileage.

-Dan

LilPoppa

Adventurer
What do y'all feel about that 2.0L Turbo? Seems like it is a brand new engine, no? Or has it been used in other models?

Justincredible

Adventurer
Im digging the electric top with the side panels removed. It has a cool bimini top look to it.

2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon-80.jpg

That's just the soft top. The electric top is a hard top with cloth center and removable sides.

3547273d1512016114-official-jl-wrangler-picture-thread-fac364d5-29d6-485f-8d23-2b020a629272.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
You'll get a 2.2 turbo diesel, and likely it will have a 6 speed option.
In a lot of ways, I would prefer that to the 3.0 with auto.

I will be interested to see what gets better mileage.

-Dan

I concur totally..there is no need for the 3.0 Diesel....my GLE300 D has a 4 cylinder 2.1L Diesel 201hp/369 torque and it gets 30mpg driving at 80mph. It handles the weight of the GLE350 fine 5,000lbs. I have towed a 2000# trailer from MI to SC with no issues. It is not a rocket ship but will merge safely and accelerates to 60 in about 8 seconds.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
The only turbo diesel I ever had was a Mercedes 300sd. The turbo lag was horrible it would make it almost useless for any time you needed power at lower RPMs.

Is that still an issue with turbos or is that not such a problem anymore?

bshillam

Observer
Depending on turbo set up a slight lag but some don't notice. Most of the lag has been taken away by dual turbos or variable vanes. A modern diesel is clean, gets great mileage and has gobs of low end power. I have been watching the diesel Wrangler release since swaps were coming in. Can't wait to see one in person. I for one might get the wife convinced to sell her convertible. Or add a forth car to the collection....

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The only turbo diesel I ever had was a Mercedes 300sd. The turbo lag was horrible it would make it almost useless for any time you needed power at lower RPMs.

Is that still an issue with turbos or is that not such a problem anymore?

Dont get much more old school than a 300 sd. Night and day comparison. If you haven’t driven a modern diesel engine I would suggest going for a test drive.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Depending on turbo set up a slight lag but some don't notice. Most of the lag has been taken away by dual turbos or variable vanes. A modern diesel is clean, gets great mileage and has gobs of low end power. I have been watching the diesel Wrangler release since swaps were coming in. Can't wait to see one in person. I for one might get the wife convinced to sell her convertible. Or add a forth car to the collection....

For all the reasons you stated there will always be a diesel in my driveway. Plus back in 2009 when gasoline became scarce in the Southeast I was able to find diesel.

Just as a comparison

2016 MB GLE 350 Gas powered V6 = 19mpg

2016 MB GLE 300 diesel powered I4 = 30+ mpg

Same vehicle and same transmission.

(none)

Adventurer
Can't wait to check out one in person. I've had 2 JK rubicon 2door 6-speeds in the past, one with the 3.8, one with the 3.6. It's nice to see how much Jeep listened to their customers and integrated previously aftermarket items such as the aux switches, Molle webbing, spare tire mounting, bumpers, etc.

I am disappointed the 3.6 remains and that it is the only option for the manual trans (although i do like the manual trans itself is new). Truth be told, i never had an issue with my 3.6 (or 3.8 for that matter), but i didn't like the lack of low end torque and how hot the cooling fan let it run (fan comes on ~230F, but it never did over heat for me). I'd be very tempted to try the turbo 4 cyl with a stick if that combo came in a 2dr rubicon. I have little use for a diesel, not worth the extra hassle for me. Hoping they have the website up soon so i can option/build one online to get an idea of pricing.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Can't wait to check out one in person. I've had 2 JK rubicon 2door 6-speeds in the past, one with the 3.8, one with the 3.6. It's nice to see how much Jeep listened to their customers and integrated previously aftermarket items such as the aux switches, Molle webbing, spare tire mounting, bumpers, etc.

I am disappointed the 3.6 remains and that it is the only option for the manual trans (although i do like the manual trans itself is new). Truth be told, i never had an issue with my 3.6 (or 3.8 for that matter), but i didn't like the lack of low end torque and how hot the cooling fan let it run (fan comes on ~230F, but it never did over heat for me). I'd be very tempted to try the turbo 4 cyl with a stick if that combo came in a 2dr rubicon. I have little use for a diesel, not worth the extra hassle for me. Hoping they have the website up soon so i can option/build one online to get an idea of pricing.

What hassle? Is going 600+ miles on a tank of diesel a hassle. Filling up DEF every 10,000 miles a hassle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94