drop axle flip

I've been gathering parts for my trailer bed/ overland trailer build and I was debating on whether or not I should use a 4" drop axle flipped to gain trailer height. The #3500 dexter trailer axle isn't cambered so tire wire shouldn't be a problem. But I was wanting to get y'alls input on whether or not it sounds like a good idea or not. If y'all have done it to your trailer, I would appreciate pictures! Thanks!

rnArmy

Adventurer
I think it would be a bad idea. I'd be afraid of leverage strain on the U-bolts. If they broke and you were doing any kind of speed, it could be bad. Axles are cheap; if you want height, go with a taller spring mount and longer shackles.

Betarocker

Adventurer
U-bolts are the easiest to deal with, just get some larger diameter ones. I don't think there'd be an issue, and if you're worried about strength, you could always add a gusset at the drop. Make certain the spring pads are welded fully as that's where the forces will be applied.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Seems to me this would be a question that could be answered by the axle manufacturer. Have you tried contacting them to find out if this axle was made with this in mind?

jjmoss99

Observer
I setup the axle on my trailer in this configuration. I towed it behind my pickup for 600 miles on my last trip over the Magruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway in Idaho without any issues. I wondered about the leverage on the axle as well but after I got everything torqued down, I began working my way up in difficulty of the trails. I'm not worried about it now.

Justin

WP_20160501_002.jpg

Last edited:

jjmoss99

Observer
Also, my choice was skewed because I got this drop axle for free from a neighbor that was sending a car hauler trailer to the scrap yard. If I was purchasing an axle I may do it differently but I do like all the clearance that it has. My trailer took some abuse on the last trip I was on. It was almost 200 miles of very rough trails with many washes and large rocks in the trail. I feel if it was going to fail it would have on that trip.

One complication that I had with the axle so close to the frame was getting the proper angles and amount of travel to mount the shocks. I spent a lot of time on the creeper under the trailer before I was satisfied with the shock mounts. Thanks.

Justin

So I went a different route, instead of using 1750lb trailer leafsprings with a 4" drop axle, I purchased 1900lb F-150 leafsprings that have more of an arch over the trailer springs and I ended up ordering a Dexter 3500lb straight axle.

Sent from my Prime10ES using Tapatalk

leaf.jpg

It's 8" from the top of the main leaf to the center of the bushing hole rather than 3.5" on a normal 1750lb trailer spring.

Last edited:
Thanks! I personally sandblasted each leaf and then coated it in truck chassis epoxy paint and replaced the bushings with Energy Suspension and also replaced the pads between each leaf. They measured right at about 56" from bolt hole to bolt hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles