New Custom Grille Concept: Would you buy THIS?

Joe917

Explorer
Is this what you mean? http://www.cliffride.com/product/holcomb-light-bar-grille/

Or, you could install Multipod LEDs in the slats, they're small enough to fit in the slats.

SingleLEDs_zpspeguz1da.jpg

This image is a quick photo-edit to simulate what it might look like:

GrilleSlotSim3_zpszv7mfdst.jpg

I like the look if this grill, get rid of the cheezy lights and youre on to a winner

jscherb

Expedition Leader
May I chime in?...

If you have the tallent and equipment to make the grill then may I suggest a stock looking grille but with the option of a light bar, say 20"?......

I have been looking for something like this for years now, I have found that I'm either stuck with cutting the grill and installing a mesh lannel fitted with a led bar or installing vertical bars which I'm not sure how that would work.

Just my .02

Have a good one!.....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I don't mean to hijack Matt's thread but I think he's moved on to another thread on his grille topic so I'll post this here for Gonzo...

I just got an email from Extreme Terrain and this was featured in it: https://www.extremeterrain.com/deeg...54362888&_bta_c=dwhfrkswew9mxehc6pjyftwszkocp. Now you've got two to pick from.

I am not associated with either of these grilles.

MattJ

Adventurer
I don't mean to hijack Matt's thread but I think he's moved on to another thread on his grille topic so I'll post this here for Gonzo...

Hijack all you want! Jeff is right - I set up another thread so I can post photos and updates now that I have moved on to the development stage of my grille project. So please feel free to use this thread if it is helpful to follow up on other topics.

It is interesting to see those grilles with the LED bars built in. Certainly eliminates wind noise, but I wonder how they are able to pack the wiring in such a tight space, right in front of a hot radiator.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
My 2 cents worth:

You're at the wrong forum asking about something that's purely "cosmetic" try asking the same question at:

WranglerForums
JK-Forums
JeepForum
Many others.

One would have a better response from the youngsters at those other forums than here. So I guess that meana a firm NO vote from me as well.. Want to do some good create something direct more towards the overland experience. be it storage options, new gadgets etc.. Going for something that's purely cosmetic isn't something that would appeal to most of us here.

Well said. Also, isn't this fad almost over?

MattJ

Adventurer
Hijack all you want! Jeff is right - I set up another thread so I can post photos and updates now that I have moved on to the development stage of my grille project. So please feel free to use this thread if it is helpful to follow up on other topics.

Just realized I should have provided the link to the other thread as this one is now dormant since I have moved on to the production phase of the project: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/188194-Update-on-Custom-Grille-Project

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Matt,
Looks like there are a bunch of companies out there that agree with you on the monster theme... seems like you'll be facing a bunch of competition, so keep these in mind as you finalize your design and pricing.

http://blackdogmods.com/shop/jeep-jk-2007-2015/custom-black-monster-grill-for-jeep-wrangler-jk/:

Untitled-design-min-20.jpg

https://www.safaripal.com/products/...-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-sahara-sports-jk-black:

JP0112-in-use_grande.jpg

http://www.ruggedridge.com/spartan-grille-insert-monster-teeth-07-15-wrangler-12034-24.html:

12034-24-rugged-ridge-spartan-grille-insert-monster-teeth-2007-2015-jeep-wrangler-jk-31.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xprite-Ang...airlead-for-Jeep-Wrangler-07-17-/152381993590:

s-l1000.jpg

Good luck with your project. While it's not something that would fit in with my plans for my Jeep, I support your innovation and am here to offer whatever advice and guidance I can to help you achieve your goal.

jeff

MattJ

Adventurer
Thanks Jeff. The reason I'm posting is to get constructive input, so your feedback is very helpful. That's what I like about the forum - even if people don't like a design or an idea, the good people always post useful and constructive feedback to help me make the idea better.

akpostal

Adventurer
Im not a fan of these types of grills and would not buy any of these. Matt I like your design over the others, while again not something I would buy or put on my rig. its not as in your face over the top as whats out there. A custom grill to me is no different then PlastiDipping parts or slapping stickers on the glass. In the end will your grill offer more airflow over the stock openings? Ild like to see the end product.

Not sure why others are trying to rain on your project. Keep it up,

Jurfie

Adventurer
it would seem that I'm being made out as the aggressor in this instance

I don't think people are necessarily disagreeing with you Badger; I think it's the way you express your opinions that people take exception to. This forum is definitely one of the better ones for respectful conversations and exchange of ideas, and I for one would like to see it stay that way.

Matt: add me to the list of those who wouldn't run this grill, but I'd rock the hat. :ylsmoke:

MattJ

Adventurer
Matt: add me to the list of those who wouldn't run this grill, but I'd rock the hat. :ylsmoke:

Thanks! PM me your address, pick a color and I'll drop a hat in the mail to you. I have several left from the test run.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
it would seem that I'm being made out as the aggressor in this instance, Matt knows my feeling on his grille design. The issue is, this type of "thing" would not and should not be considered part of a typical "overland" build. Overlanding isn't about athletics more over its about using what you've got with a few pleasurable alterations or exceptions. As I said, this grille and thread is best suited for a common jeep wrangler forum and NOT a expedition forum as I really doubt anyone here would purchase this product or has the term "overland" been change as to allow this junk to be include in it's vocabulary. I'm beginning to see a forum with less and less over landing than when I first join.. So here's a novel idea, what if Scherb put this on his jeep to set off those flat fenders.. if he does, he's crazier than I thought..

I didn't relies if we label ourselves as OVERLANDER'S we have rules and boundaries to follow?? Better start stripping the jeep. I've been schooled
image.jpg

I'll start with my grill. Because I wanna be a real OVERLANDER !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I've seen video and read stories about people overlanding in vehicles as minimal as a 2 cylinder Morris Minor, a simple 4 cylinder Land Rover Series, to stock volkswagen beatles or outback subarus.
I don't think is matters what your truck is or what the aesthetics are as long as you are out exploring, having fun, treading lightly, and sharing the fun with others. Jeeps are generally (and I mean in the public eye) associated with "off-roading" ... and the line is sometimes fine, to grey to blurred as to what is overlanding versus off-roading. In my eyes, someone travelling the Alaska Highway pulling an airstream is as much an overlander as someone driving through the jungles of panama. It's more about the spirit of travel and seeing the world than it is about what you are doing it in.

You want teeth on your Jeep - have teeth on your jeep. You want limb-risers on your land rover, put limb-risers on. One serves a purpose and looks cool. The other ... looks cool ... or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke