Discovery SVX at LA Auto Show

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Your following of a vehicle you seem to hate makes you pretty hard headed.. or ignorant.

I criticize because I care. I try to do so with facts, which I welcome you to challenge.

What makes the D5 unique from other SUVs? What value does it provide that others don't? I think the difficulty in answering this clearly highlights the issue.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
This is the same thing people said about the D2 (too big a butt! soft interior!), the LR3 (the horror! useless off road!), the LR4 (for soccer moms!) and now this truck.

Yawn.

Ya, but no one ever said the new Land Rover looked like the run of the mill SUV/CUV/Explorer....

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
I criticize because I care. I try to do so with facts, which I welcome you to challenge.

Were you able to do "hard core" offroading/ overlanding with the D1 or D2 off the shop floor? No, you needed to atleast put AT tyres as they all come with HTs which applies to 99% of the "offroaders" out there so in my opinion this nullifies your comment!

What makes the D5 unique from other SUVs? What value does it provide that others don't? I think the difficulty in answering this clearly highlights the issue.

Talk about opening a can of worms. I for one enjoy upgrading my car when new and improved models are launched. What makes it different? Absolutely nothing, yet everything in the same sentence! Firstly the look (I'm sure that is obvious - I agree though, it has lost its "rugged" look), new technological advancements off road and 'improved' materials for parts. Be that as it may, my post on another thread remains --> http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/187960-Defender-test-mule-spotted?p=2404732#post2404732

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Hmmm ...... took our new off the dealer lot 98' Disco I wheelin on Colorado trails, with factory Michelin tires. Not your typical gravel road, actual 4WD trails. Took the same truck over Engineer's Pass and several other Southwestern Colorado trails over the next several years. Performed well. Tires were by then A/T's for several reasons, one being age and the other snow. Have also had our 2011 LR4 over the same trails and have also upgraded to A/T's for similar reasons. Honestly I don't see any advantage to the D5 over the LR4 with 5.0L V8. The traction control is basically the same, likely tuned for a lighter vehicle but basically the same. Not seeing the value of the D5, especially the SVX at $90K. Technology additions, which most manufacturers are adding because it is a low cost way to add 'features' at a higher profit margin, are nearly all a don't care/need. Style wise it just looks like a Ford Explorer, with or without metoo stickers. The 20" wheels scream 'see me stylin bro', just like every other manufacturer. We have entered the world of jelly beans where you can have a color as long as it is white. I know, an exaggeration, but you get the picture.

My wife's DD? The 98 DI. Has all the "technology" she needs. Oh, wait, it doesn't. Is the weather band radio considered technology?

Edit add: From the link http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/187960-Defender-test-mule-spotted?p=2404732#post2404732

D1 - 90% offroad, 10% city
D2 - 80% offroad, 20% city
D3 - 65% offroad, 35% city
D4 - 50% offroad, 50% city
D5 - 35% offroad, 65% city

That D5 profile / trajectory looks like the convergence of the Discovery 5 and Ford Explorer, use case wise.

As for DI my use was probably 10% offroad and 90% city. Still, at nearly 170K miles now that is 17K miles of "offroading". Does that say I want a $75K to $90K bling-mobile? No. I'll probably build a Scout II before spending that money on a throw-away technology dependent vehicle.

Last edited:

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Were you able to do "hard core" offroading/ overlanding with the D1 or D2 off the shop floor? No, you needed to atleast put AT tyres as they all come with HTs which applies to 99% of the "offroaders" out there so in my opinion this nullifies your comment!

Talk about opening a can of worms. I for one enjoy upgrading my car when new and improved models are launched. What makes it different? Absolutely nothing, yet everything in the same sentence! Firstly the look (I'm sure that is obvious - I agree though, it has lost its "rugged" look), new technological advancements off road and 'improved' materials for parts. Be that as it may, my post on another thread remains --> http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/187960-Defender-test-mule-spotted?p=2404732#post2404732

1. The 16" wheels and 235/75 tires from the factory, while HTs, provided adequate sidewall and were comparable to trucks / SUVs of the time. Wheel damage, pinch flats, sidewall tears, and airing down weren't an issue. If stock tires weren't adequate, many easy options were available to fit your needs. One could effectively venture off-road all day with no concern for the suspension and tires. Engines were the normal source of one's worry.

Comparing trucks to the D5 today, both still advertise off-road ability and utility, but one has retained sane sidewall ratios and cargo capacity, while the D5 has reduced both and effectively excluded it from being used as advertised.

2. Comfort, tech, reliability; these are common across any new vehicle. Design is bog standard for its class. What makes it unique?
Better off-road capability than class competitors, and the seat tricks. That's it.

However, off-road capability is severely limited by tires, so in reality it's just the seat tricks.

Take the D5, all its class competitors, and hell, every other current LR model too; place them in a lineup and even a mild enthusiast struggles to identify them without squinting.

Seat tricks..

Last edited:

iowalr4

Adventurer
im still perplexed about these photos and the d5. they have roof racks, loaded to the gills... notice how far forward they have to be to clear the rear door. and on that topic, with the trunk open, how the hell do you access the roof rack? not even a ladder.

the split tailgate loss is my biggest problem with it. Guess i wouldn't be cooking on the little flap. not even big enough for a two burner stove. the rest is just mildly annoying. like the loss of a removable center 2nd row seat where i like my fridge.

i do hope to see more of these on the trail though. and see how owners adapt to the new ‘level' of utility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles