Discovery SVX at LA Auto Show

haven

Expedition Leader
Can’t let the new Wrangler have all the glory!

Announced in September, Land Rover is showing the Discovery SVX at the LA Auto Show now. The new model is supposed to be the most offroad-oriented Discovery to date. Features include a supercharged 5.0L engine, increased ground clearance, hydraulic active roll control (same idea as Toyota’s KDSS), reworked electronic terrain management, and a winch (mounted in the rear bumper). Coming in 2018, no price for the SVX has been announced.

https://www.caranddriver.com/land-rover/discovery-svx

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Wont lie, has piqued my interest.... I will wait for the 'facelift' of the Disco 5 before I upgrade. This way all the issues, manufacturing faults will have been resolved.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Why a rear winch and no Front Winch???

So you don't winch through the obstacle but away from it..

I have a winch on the front of my LR3 and honestly it would be better on the rear..

On a rock crawler or trail rig that must continue through the Rubicon a front winch is ideal but lets face it if you're stuck in a modern Rover its probably your DD.

I partly agree with you but see where they are coming from.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The Discovery SVX should come standard with 17/18" wheels while 20" should be an option for those who want to style in urban use. Navigation should also be optional/not standard.

rlynch356

Defyota
I drove a diesel d5 at expo east... nice but a spaceship and honestly couldn’t tell the models apart easily... so meh... also a rear winch only? That might work for 1 truck but really why? I guess lucky8 has the front hidden mount figured out.... but again... this thing is a Luxurious CUV..

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Where's the proof?

The more I look at these photos, the more I start to think "maybe, just maybe i'll buy one....

23826169_873773569463290_600386876328782858_o.jpg

DOGwBfYXUAEN0Zm.jpg

attachment.php

23795575_873773569463290_600386876328782858_n.jpg

23000247_864799807027333_4976803769519113317_o.jpg

23794775_873773176129996_7934953439568480927_n.jpg

22140740_850956261745021_5176897207959669806_n.jpg

22498871_1653198901390836_7499455264663874242_o.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Sad when you have to rely on the aftermarket to actually use something the way its advertised. That still doesn't help its flacid non-tailgate, smaller cargo area, and that it still looks like like a marshmallow trying desperately to be tough with knobbies and stickers proclaiming its "extreme" qualities.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Sad when you have to rely on the aftermarket to actually use something the way its advertised. That still doesn't help its flacid non-tailgate, smaller cargo area, and that it still looks like like a marshmallow trying desperately to be tough with knobbies and stickers proclaiming its "extreme" qualities.

This is the same thing people said about the D2 (too big a butt! soft interior!), the LR3 (the horror! useless off road!), the LR4 (for soccer moms!) and now this truck.

Yawn.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
This is the same thing people said about the D2 (too big a butt! soft interior!), the LR3 (the horror! useless off road!), the LR4 (for soccer moms!) and now this truck.

Wrong. Not only are they different complaints, the D2 and LR3 complaints are not devoid of merit. None of their weaknesses have improved or been vindicated with age. I've owned them all.

From the factory, all models use at least 19" tires, and as a consequence there is not a single model which can tackle off-road scenarios reliably. That simple fact should be enough to worry.

The LR3 SE with 18" factory wheels, though too heavy and fragile to do hard off-road, was the last model from the factory able to overland off-road without blowing through spares faster than gas. Every marketing expedition LR has taken the new models on has relied on an endless supply of spare tires, but they don't tell you that. You only find out afterward from participants that note the 15 or so spares that had to be flown in so they could pretend to be doing something authentic.

I've been in a D5, the cabin is tiny, and it still looks like an effeminate marshmallow in person. After looking at nearly every previous LR model at a car show, I introduced my wife (who is not a car person but understood the appeal of many models) to the D5 and her first question was exacting and poignant "why this normal car so expensive? is it a rover?".

Last edited:

MrWesson

Adventurer
Wrong. Not only are they different complaints, the D2 and LR3 complaints are not devoid of merit. None of their weaknesses have improved or been vindicated with age. I've owned them all.

From the factory, all models use at least 19" tires, and as a consequence there is not a single model which can tackle off-road scenarios reliably. That simple fact should be enough to worry.

The LR3 SE with 18" factory wheels, though too heavy and fragile to do hard off-road, was the last model from the factory able to overland off-road without blowing through spares faster than gas. Every marketing expedition LR has taken the new models on has relied on an endless supply of spare tires, but they don't tell you that. You only find out afterward from participants that note the 15 or so spares that had to be flown in so they could pretend to be doing something authentic.

I've been in a D5, the cabin is tiny, and it still looks like an effeminate marshmallow in person. After looking at nearly every previous LR model at a car show, I introduced my wife (who is not a car person but understood the appeal of many models) to the D5 and her first question was exacting and poignant "why this normal car so expensive? is it a rover?".

Your following of a vehicle you seem to hate makes you pretty hard headed.. or ignorant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94