Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transitioning bikes

I'm warming up to the Woodsmoke; Just when I thought I could do without front suspension I see that one in available the might suit my needs. I'll look a bit closer when I can actually get to the shop. Hope they have one.
    Kos,
    N4NIA

2003 Jeep WJ / Off-Road Trailer
    www.inlandcrossing.com

Salsa woodsmoke or timberjack would be great Bikes. For Bike packing and in summer I have a 29+ wheel set for my Ti mukluk. It is awesome for me.I have several Salsa Cycles and my wife has more than I do! Great bikes!
    2000 100 series Landcruiser (SOLD)
    Salsa Ti Mukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

Gonna get out this week and have a look. Thanks for the feedback.
    Kos,
    N4NIA

www.inlandcrossing.com

Your Trek can take a new fork with disc mounts, between that and a disc-capable wheel, you aren't out as much as a good new bike.
    Either suspension or solid fork, depending on your preference...

Since most of your braking is up front anyway, it won't matter so much if you're running "Mullet" with a rim brake in back.

Investigated and talked to the bike shop that carries both Salsa and Surly bikes. The Woodsmoke and the ECR are different bikes. I think the Woodsmoke would make a better bike for singletrack and trails, but at this point I am looking for service roads, double track, and some pavement from time to time. The ECR also offered two chain rings, so all in all, I decided on the ECR with 27.5+ on a medium frame as the better choice for me.

Thanks for the input -
    Kos,
    N4NIA

www.inlandcrossing.com

Quote Originally Posted by spacer View Post
    Your Trek can take a new fork with disc mounts, between that and a disc-capable wheel, you aren't out as much as a good new bike.
    Either suspension or solid fork, depending on your preference...
    Having settled on a new bike now, I decided to keep the Trek as a campground bike for when we take the travel trailer out, and to put on the trainer as an exercise bike. I hate to give it up, but I'm not sure I want to invest anything more for a new fork.

Thanks
    Kos,
    N4NIA

www.inlandcrossing.com

I have three Salsa bikes, the Woodsmoke, Warbird, and Cutthroat. The the Woodsmoke is a fantastic backcountry bike but is a little too upright for on road adventures (at least for me). Have you tried a bike with drop bars? You may be surprised. Both of my drop bar bikes excel at the tough stuff. The Cutthroat seems like a good fit for your needs.

The Salsa's seem to be quality bikes. Like many others, however, it's difficult to find a shop that has the entire line, in the right sizes to do a meaningful comparison.

I am not a fan of drop bars, as I am more comfortable at this stage of my life with a more upright position for this type of bike. The ECR kind of checked all the boxes for me, so that's where I am now. I may get used to the Jones bar, or maybe I'll eventually swap it out.

BTW, I am considering a job in the Denver area and may relocate. Where in Colorado are you? I have to think the riding out there is awesome.
    Kos,
    N4NIA

www.inlandcrossing.com

I live north of Denver about 30 miles (La Salle). The best part of riding in Colorado is the diversity. 20 miles to the west of me has top notch mountain bike trails, I can ride from my house and get in endless miles of gravel, or I can ride from my office over lunch and get in some scenic front range views on rolling hills. There's a little something for all types of riders.

That sounds great; the job I'm looking at is in Broomfield. I'll be trying to find the right place to buy a house and get settled. I'm thinking by spring I should be ready to venture out.
    Kos,
    N4NIA

www.inlandcrossing.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12