Transitioning bikes

Skeptic

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

I'm getting back into biking after a period of inactivity following some surgery. I know those of you that are involved in the type of riding I am looking to engage in can offer some advice.

I am in the process of selling a Canonndale road bike and a Trek 8000 mountain bike. Both bikes are 30 years old, and I'd consider keeping the Trek if it could be fitted with disc brakes. From what I've researched, this doesn't seem to be practical. In the meantime I bought a Trek DS3 for general riding and fitness. It's a great hybrid, and I'm currently doing 60 to 70 miles a week on it, generally on weekends.

I'm interested in bikepacking, and the proximity of the North Georgia Mountains offers me a lot of opportunities to ride FS roads and some light trails. I'm not particularly interested in singletrack or hard core trail riding but rather to explore and camp along the way.

I need a bike that's suitable for this, but can also support longer self-supporting rides during vacations, which include segments of pavement and non-pavement. An example of this type of ride would be to ride the length of the Outer Banks in an upcoming trip I am planning.

Something like the Surly ECR or Troll seem ideal. They appear to be very capable and of good quality, but I don't want to rule out any other practical alternatives.

Any thoughts on these bikes or alternatives would be helpful.

Also, how important is a suspension fork to this type of riding? I am aware that the higher volume tires absorb much of the shock, and a front suspension fork limits front mounting options for packs and accessories. Any comments on this?

Thanks

rruff

Explorer
Something like the Surly ECR or Troll seem ideal.

If I was in your shoes, it would be the ECR. 29+ and looks perfect for the task.

I tried suspension forks 25 years ago, didn't like them, and never tried them again. For packing and 29+ I think the suspension would be a liability.

Skeptic

Adventurer
Thanks,

Looking at the medium ECR frame, which I believe I need, I can choose 29+ or 27.5+ wheel size. Given my standover clearance on most frames I might opt for the 27.5+ but might be able to swap in 29+ if needed later. Kind of frustrating that the Surly dealers in the Atlanta area don't have bikes in stock, given the size of the local market.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have found that the ECR and Troll have a very upright body riding position. I prefer this but something you may want to consider if you do get into more technical trails. The Troll felt more lively than the ECR but the ECR felt like it was advertised to do, tour with a load for long distances in rough terrain. Both are point and go bikes. I've never driven a tank but riding 29+ gives me a good idea what it would be like. If you will see pavement more often find a faster rolling tire like WTB Ranger or Surly knard over a big lugged tire like Surly Dirt Wizard.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I just saw that you are on the line between 27.5+ and 29+. I went with 27.5+ for a more nimble ride over the 29+ that can roll over anything. rock and roll vs. heavy metal. The only other thing is that with the 27.5+ your crank arms will be lower to the ground in a bike like the ECR and you will have more pedal strikes if it is a narrow rutted single track or big cobbles. Believe me the bike will ride through it you will just be shaken by a pedal strike more frequently. I went with 27.5+ for my bike and it will have those issues but it does not bother me that much. I got used to it on my old school fat bike geometry.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
If you get up north to Ellijay, Cartegay Bike shop is nice. I have no recommendations for in the metro area but is sucks not being able to ride the bikes first. Test ride as many as you can, there are lots on the market, and test the same bike in different sizes also.

Skeptic

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice; I will call Cartecay and see if they offer the bike in stock. It'll be worth the trip if I'm going to invest that kind of money.

Sounds like the 27.5+ would be the way for me to go, but I'll check both options out before I commit. Ideally I'd like to ride both to get a feel for each. I don't plan on doing any technical riding and will mostly be on forestry service roads, double track, and pavement.

hootjm

I would take a look at the Salsa Fargo for that type of riding. Loose Nuts Cycles in Atlanta, Out Spokin' in Canton, and REI sells them.

Skeptic

Adventurer
The Fargo GX looks like an interesting bike, but I am not a fan of drop bars for off road riding; I prefer a flat bar, and according to their website adapting a flat bar results in a too-short top tube. I like the option I could run 29+ or 27.5+ on the frame size I would need, but appears to ship with 29, so that would be extra cost to get them swapped out for the 27.5+ I think I am leaning toward. In addition to the features of the ECR, think I like the fact that I can get it with the wheel size I need.

The Fargo Rival gets me to 27.5+ from the factory, but there is still the limitation on adapting a flat bar. It's also $400 more than the ECR, unless they're heavily discounted from MSRP. No listing for the Rival at REI.

Thanks for the suggestion; still looking and open to alternatives.

Talked to Loose Nuts on Saturday, and I'll try to hit them up this weekend to have a look around. I'll definitely have a look at the Fargo when I'm there.

SalsaJJ

Salsa GM
The Fargo GX looks like an interesting bike, but I am not a fan of drop bars for off road riding; I prefer a flat bar, and according to their website adapting a flat bar results in a too-short top tube. I like the option I could run 29+ or 27.5+ on the frame size I would need, but appears to ship with 29, so that would be extra cost to get them swapped out for the 27.5+ I think I am leaning toward. In addition to the features of the ECR, think I like the fact that I can get it with the wheel size I need.

The Fargo Rival gets me to 27.5+ from the factory, but there is still the limitation on adapting a flat bar. It's also $400 more than the ECR, unless they're heavily discounted from MSRP. No listing for the Rival at REI.

Thanks for the suggestion; still looking and open to alternatives.

Talked to Loose Nuts on Saturday, and I'll try to hit them up this weekend to have a look around. I'll definitely have a look at the Fargo when I'm there.

Check out the Salsa Woodsmoke then. $1999 gets you an amazing bikepacking package that has versatility for days.

Skeptic

Adventurer
I'm warming up to the Woodsmoke; Just when I thought I could do without front suspension I see that one in available the might suit my needs. I'll look a bit closer when I can actually get to the shop. Hope they have one.

squatch

Adventurer
Salsa woodsmoke or timberjack would be great Bikes. For Bike packing and in summer I have a 29+ wheel set for my Ti mukluk. It is awesome for me.I have several Salsa Cycles and my wife has more than I do! Great bikes!

spacer

Observer
Your Trek can take a new fork with disc mounts, between that and a disc-capable wheel, you aren't out as much as a good new bike.
Either suspension or solid fork, depending on your preference...

Since most of your braking is up front anyway, it won't matter so much if you're running "Mullet" with a rim brake in back.

Skeptic

Adventurer
Investigated and talked to the bike shop that carries both Salsa and Surly bikes. The Woodsmoke and the ECR are different bikes. I think the Woodsmoke would make a better bike for singletrack and trails, but at this point I am looking for service roads, double track, and some pavement from time to time. The ECR also offered two chain rings, so all in all, I decided on the ECR with 27.5+ on a medium frame as the better choice for me.

Thanks for the input -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles