Looking for a rough but all there running or not 1986 LWB 4 door

Daurie

I have just received a handful of a project. Truck was started, never finished and then scavenged for parts. It began life as a 1986 LWB 300GE with auto trans I believe. Conversion to an OM603 was started but it's just laying there in the engine bay held in by ratchet straps. There are too many loose ends and bits and pieces missing. Here's what's missing that's obvious:
fuel tank, seats, seat boxes, center console, shift linkage and selector, transfer case to trans intermediate shaft, bumpers, front grill, radiator, A/C compressor/coil, engine fan, alternator, door handles, all exterior bumper trim, no ignition key and the list continues. This was going to be a pretty nice build and it was disheartening to see the shape it was in when it showed up today. It was actually in way better shape 6 months ago. I'm reaching out for suggestions. Get a donor or try to source the multitude of bits? I like a project but between real life and racing and working on our Chumpcar, another project wasn't on my radar. I'm up for it but I'm not sure if sourcing all the parts would be easier than having a donor vehicle. Once I figure out how to post pictures right side up I will.

Daurie.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Daurie, PM me your VIN; and I can tell you exactly what came on it from the factory and possibly the year it was made. Fwiw, the steering wheel on your truck is older than a 1986, but the VIN can tell you a lot. The VIN will be stamped into the outside of the right front frame - visible behind the right front wheel. There should also be a small embossed aluminum plate in the engine compartment riveted to the outside of the air plenum for the heater, A/C.

Also, you'll have a much better chance of finding parts or even a parts vehicle, if you post on one of the G-Class Forums like Pointedthree.com. If you PM your email to me, I'll be happy to help where I can. Been driving and working on G's since 1984.

There is a long list of Gwagen parts suppliers here: http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=23058&mid=233640#M233640

Last edited:

Daurie

Daurie, PM me your VIN; and I can tell you exactly what came on it from the factory and possibly the year it was made. Fwiw, the steering wheel on your truck is older than a 1986, but the VIN can tell you a lot. The VIN will be stamped into the outside of the right front frame - visible behind the right front wheel. There should also be a small embossed aluminum plate in the engine compartment riveted to the outside of the air plenum for the heater, A/C.

Also, you'll have a much better chance of finding parts or even a parts vehicle, if you post on one of the G-Class Forums like Pointedthree.com. If you PM your email to me, I'll be happy to help where I can. Been driving and working on G's since 1984.

There is a long list of Gwagen parts suppliers here: http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=23058&mid=233640#M233640

Thanks Dutch! I have the vin and I've got the MB EPC subscription so parts and numbers and original equipment are no problem. Being that the truck was originally a gas burner being converted to diesel slightly complicates things but noting too big. What I really need is the vin to a '86 4 door that came with a 603 or something with the same motor mounts.

Truth be told I'm looking at a complete and running truck in Utah right now.

I appreciate the offer and will PM you.

Daurie

otiswesty

Regular guy
What I really need is the vin to a '86 4 door that came with a 603 or something with the same motor mounts.
Daurie

The only G-class with a factory om603 motor were 463 series from 1990-1992 300GD and 1992-1995 G350td

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online