Espar VS Webasto Which Is Best?

chet6.7

Explorer
Is there much of a difference between these 2 brands? When I look up Webasto there are more places that sell,and I hope install,them. Espar gives me fewer choices,and none on them are close by.

Michael34

I had an espar hydronic d5 for years on an HS2.8, I think that was the model, with the 7 day timer. Never let me down ever.

Joe917

Explorer
I think there is very little to chose between the two.
Very happy with my Webasto thermotopC , connected to thermostat.
The timers are pretty useless for an expedition vehicle, they are more for using for an engine preheat.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
In the US, at least, Espar has better service. Friend of mine drove a long way to a Webasto dealer for service on his Dual Top, only to be told that they did not service anything but big truck systems. When his Espar failed in Alaska the repair was available at two dealers, under warranty, with only the wait for parts.

Anecdotal, of course, but given a choice, I would go with an Espar based system next time.

Michael34

Yeah, great for pre-heat. I never used glow plugs to strart on sub zero mornings. I recommend getting fuel directly from tank, even though it's easier to tap into fuel line or fuel Filter head port

I have to Webasto units in my Unimog. 9kw unit for preheat of cab and engine and 5kw unit for camper. Both have worked perfectly.

greenbull

Adventurer
Absolutely.
I have two c tops, one I'm installing in my d90 diesel , another already installed in my RRC, also 300 tdi, and that was installed for me teeing the fuel line off the sedimenter. Curious as to why the resounding affirmation on taking the line directly from the tank?
Thanks

W0lfpack91

I drive a semi for a living in the US, in my rigs i have dealt with both espar and webasto bunk heaters. They are likely different models then what you are looking at As ours are all diesel operated but I have had far less Issues Out of webasto. All the trucks I had that were equipped with an Espar heater Seem to have issues with Fuel odors coming through the vents If they were left in operable for extended periods of time (mostly through the summer months) However After using them a couple nights The odors cleared up and I had no issues. The biggest problem I had with webasto Was or units were highly sensitive to filter contaminants It seemed far more sensitive than the esper units and would often shut down from a clogged filter at only 60% filter use.

Both issues are easily circumvented with regular maintenance. With the espar units run them for 30 miniutes to an hour once a month and it should keep the fuel odors away and with webasto just keep on top of filter cleaning and it works fine.

*Notice* My experience with these 2 brands of heater are only limited to the diesel bunk heaters equiped in most US Semi Tractor power units.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chet6.7

Explorer
I thank you all for the info.I should have been more specific,I am looking for the type of heater that heats the air,not the type that heats the coolant.
I got more hits for Webasto as they are sold at Cummins Sales and Service,they may only work on big trucks,I will have to find out.
I would like to heat my camper shell,I will have the slider open into the cab with some type of boot between the shell and cab,the pets sleep in a carrier in the cab.The better half does not want to be cold...there will be heat this year!
Last year HWY 5 was closed by CALTRANS,so instead of spending the night in Redding at 40* we spent the night in Medford at 30* and a foot of snow.
Thanks,again.

Michael34

I have two c tops, one I'm installing in my d90 diesel , another already installed in my RRC, also 300 tdi, and that was installed for me teeing the fuel line off the sedimenter. Curious as to why the resounding affirmation on taking the line directly from the tank?
Thanks

Every now and then, Especially when I started the engine, the espar would shut down due to not being able to get any fuel. I thing "FS4" was the error code

Michael34

I am not sure about Webast units, but I was able to mount my espar d5 completely sideways no problem, which made it easy to find a place for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94