Family vehicle Toyota vs Jeep

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Great post. I am increasingly at awe at the ability of some of the packing abilities of some on this site. Still hard to believe how anyone can get a family of 4 and camping gear into a jeep.
Ha! Don't forget the dog!

Also, any packing I do, I am extremely careful in my packing to noise isolate everything so there are no rattles. I loath rattles on any trip, let alone long distance rattles. My wife gathers the gear and preps the food. I load the vehicle. I kinda Zen out about it :)

Ray_G

Explorer
My point of all this is this: It doesn't really matter what you choose. But it will shape your adventures for a period of time, but they will grow, your needs will change, your adventures will adapt accordingly. They key is to get out there, and be the best dad you can. The car doesn't really matter.

So much wisdom in this.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'm a Jeep guy through-and-through. But I also had kids. Keep the four-door Taco with the topper and sell the Jeep if finances are tight - you'll appreciate the four doors and the storage of the Taco (especially on a long trip).
Picture this: me, my wife, two kids (about 8 and 3yrs old), two big dogs (German shepherd and a black lab) and a 2003 KIA Sorento (that was a great vehicle by-the-way). I had one of those 2" hitch receiver trays on the rear receiver with a 5' wide diamond plate truck tool box bolted to it for additional storage. It worked, but not ideal. If my Dodge Ram 1500 had been an extended cab (it already had a topper), life would have been sweet.

Last edited:

The Raven

wow....I was tossed in the back of a cherokkeewith a bunch of furniture. At one point between mattresses. Kids these days have it made having room.

Oh, Toyota over jeep. My 06 was nice, but the Toyota is more reliable.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Oh, Toyota over jeep. My 06 was nice, but the Toyota is more reliable.

Amen to that! From the sounds it's making the 6-speed manual in my Jeep is shot at less than 40,000 miles. Not only that, but the Toys are more roomy and much more comfortable on a long trip.

I keep seeing rumors that Ford is bringing back the Bronco and that it might be built as a competitor to the Wrangler. I loved my '73 and if the new one is what I hope, my Jeep days are numbered.

pittsburgh

tacocat
@nwoods your response was probably my favorite! I did decide to test drive a 4runner yesterday, it was nice but I didn't feel as connected to it as I do my Tacoma. I am definitely leaning towards keeping the Tacoma and maybe refinancing it to help out my monthly budget. I ll probably test drive the 4runner one more time before I make a final decision, but those 2018 JL's have me real curious...

JoPedition

Kids come with a lot of stuff especially new babies. Truck beds with some sort of topper make it nice to bring a lot of things along with you. So I would keep the TRD and sell the unlimited. As kids grow then they need less stuff but it takes a couople of years.

I would sign that. However, you should consider the following questions in your decision:
- Is your family planning completed?
- How many things do you take with you during your adventures?
- How many things does your child / woman need?
Maybe a van would be the right alternative for you? - Of course, that depends on what kind of excursions you are planning with your child.

pittsburgh

tacocat
Van!!!! Jo are you trolling me? :D Just kidding, to answer your question yes my family will be complete with 1 child. After reviewing finances and the cost/benefit ratio I am leaning towards paying the Taco off. I am going to do some car seat test fits once the temps are out of the single digits, then reassess.

I would sign that. However, you should consider the following questions in your decision:
- Is your family planning completed?
- How many things do you take with you during your adventures?
- How many things does your child / woman need?
Maybe a van would be the right alternative for you? - Of course, that depends on what kind of excursions you are planning with your child.

Hobiecat

Observer
Van!!!! Jo are you trolling me? :D Just kidding, to answer your question yes my family will be complete with 1 child. After reviewing finances and the cost/benefit ratio I am leaning towards paying the Taco off. I am going to do some car seat test fits once the temps are out of the single digits, then reassess.

At least you have the DCSB. My wife has a bad case of baby fever, after a couple of visits with our new nephew, so my Access Cab Tacoma's days are numbered.......

Bloo

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited....

Keep that! A rare Jeep indeed.

Park it. Continue to make it a fun vehicle.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
In our circle it seems to be Jeeps and/or four-door short-bed pickups for everyone. My wife decided on a Ram Rebel as our Outback replacement. I love that truck. Now if only AEV would lower their bumper prices..........

Frdmskr

Adventurer
FWIW we are a family of 3 with a medium sized dog. Wife and kid ski. Kid is a fast growing 5 yr old. Just got rid of a 3rd gen beater 4runner and picked up a 5th gen 2012 4Runner SR5. We have the third row so we can haul family around. This is my DD and our family get out and have fun toy. Its plenty comfy, good for car seats, and more than enough room for carriage and stroller and all the other stuff you will inevitably want to carry around (store in the back.) Strongly suggest whatever you pick have a few changes of clothes of various sizes and times of day. A pack of diapers. And some shelf stable food. Trust me. Long car rides do wonders for cranky kids :)

Enjoy and congrats!

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
@nwoods your response was probably my favorite! I did decide to test drive a 4runner yesterday, it was nice but I didn't feel as connected to it as I do my Tacoma. I am definitely leaning towards keeping the Tacoma and maybe refinancing it to help out my monthly budget. I ll probably test drive the 4runner one more time before I make a final decision, but those 2018 JL's have me real curious...

Keeping the taco is probably your best bet but JLs make great family vehicles too. We’re 3+dog, have just under 10k miles on it now.

Attachments

• 046396FD-B8B8-494B-8568-94ED1B39509A.jpeg
    046396FD-B8B8-494B-8568-94ED1B39509A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • D259B846-3083-4EC8-B9C9-2B476FCC6193.jpeg
    D259B846-3083-4EC8-B9C9-2B476FCC6193.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles