Why aren't there any Howling Moon distributors in the US?

T4B3n

I'm looking to buy a Howling Moon Stargazer 1.6 with an annex for my Land Cruiser. The two previous distributors in the US, Sierra Expeditions and Adventure Ready, have apparently been dropped by Howling Moon. I decided to contact Howling Moon directly for a quote and they said, "It is unfortunate that we cannot find a suitable distributor of our brand." They're sending me a quote but I'm sure shipping is going to be $$$.

C'mon OK4wd, please add them to your product offerings!

T4B3n

I think the delay was due to a dispute between Howling Moon and the distributor, Sierra Expeditions. They have completely cut off supply to them, no idea why. I sent Sierra an email asking them about availability and have heard nothing back from them. Howling Moon responded back within 12 hours...on a weekend. Howling Moon seems to have no problem with distribution in the UK and Australia.

If their sales quote is close to what Sierra and AR used to charge, I'll order direct. Otherwise, I'll just keep an eye on the used market.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think you have to ask yourself did Howling Moon drop the distributors, or did the distributors drop Howling Moon. The answer to this question could be quite telling.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I'm looking to buy a Howling Moon Stargazer 1.6 with an annex for my Land Cruiser. The two previous distributors in the US, Sierra Expeditions and Adventure Ready, have apparently been dropped by Howling Moon. I decided to contact Howling Moon directly for a quote and they said, "It is unfortunate that we cannot find a suitable distributor of our brand." They're sending me a quote but I'm sure shipping is going to be $$$.

C'mon OK4wd, please add them to your product offerings!

I wouldn't feel comfortable importing a brand that has resorted to imitating other products on the market rather than innovating or improving the products they built their brand on.

ucHB2LA.jpg

Maybe imitate is not a strong enough description, rather buy a competitor's product copy the mold, latches, fabric design and cut every corner in the process... but they added a sweet sun hat :rolleyes:

1n5Rn46.jpg

T4B3n

And how many Chinese companies copied the Howling Moon Deluxe tent? How truly innovative are the James Baroud hard shell tents compared to the Autohome products that have been around for decades? I think the entire industry just makes incremental changes/improvements to the same basic designs. The thing that stands out to me about Howling Moon is the quality and longevity of their soft-shell products. Maybe there is some pending litigation between James Baroud and Howling Moon that I'm unaware of? I'd be interested in hearing about it if that's the case.

T4B3n

I'm not trying to defend Howling Moon, that picture certainly reeks of copyright infringement. I've been researching RTTs that will work for me and my family and the Howling Moon Stargazer appears to be the best fit. I visited OK4WD when I was in NJ back in August and looked at the Grand Raid. It's undoubtedly a great tent, but the lack of an option for an annex for my lab to sleep in took the JB out of contention. I turned my search to soft shell tents and Howling Moon is the best based on my research.

They have a large market share in Africa and Australia so I doubt they are hurting. The lack of a distributor in the US is what's frustrating to me. Howling Moon has sent me a direct shipping quote that is shockingly low compared to what they used to sell for here and I'll probably go that route.

rino

And how many Chinese companies copied the Howling Moon Deluxe tent? How truly innovative are the James Baroud hard shell tents compared to the Autohome products that have been around for decades? I think the entire industry just makes incremental changes/improvements to the same basic designs. The thing that stands out to me about Howling Moon is the quality and longevity of their soft-shell products. Maybe there is some pending litigation between James Baroud and Howling Moon that I'm unaware of? I'd be interested in hearing about it if that's the case.

James Baroud was started nearly two decades ago because the owner was unsatisfied with his Autohome tent, it is because of that they innovated a hardshell tent with gas struts, 3 layer fiberglass, ventilation fan, aluminized fabric and 360* screening. Not to be a copy of the current market offerings, but rather innovate and build their vision of the product.

I'm not aware of any legal situation between the companies at the moment, I personally view it as a lack of faith in their own products they are so well known for if that is their focus.

rino

I'm not trying to defend Howling Moon, that picture certainly reeks of copyright infringement. I've been researching RTTs that will work for me and my family and the Howling Moon Stargazer appears to be the best fit. I visited OK4WD when I was in NJ back in August and looked at the Grand Raid. It's undoubtedly a great tent, but the lack of an option for an annex for my lab to sleep in took the JB out of contention. I turned my search to soft shell tents and Howling Moon is the best based on my research.

They have a large market share in Africa and Australia so I doubt they are hurting. The lack of a distributor in the US is what's frustrating to me. Howling Moon has sent me a direct shipping quote that is shockingly low compared to what they used to sell for here and I'll probably go that route.

The lack of an annex has been a long concern of many people, like you may have picked up in this forum James Baroud has a new product that addresses this. We have had the Tunnel Awning in a complete stage for nearly two years at this point but internationally registering the designs to protect themselves from things like above has taken some time.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I have had nothing but good times and a great experience with my Howling Moon. Never had to deal with them direct but Will at Sierra Expeditions always has what I need if I need it ( I broke a small plastic socket.) I am not sure if he still carries them, I also think Adventure Ready had them also. Love my Stargazer quality is evident when you look at it next to some of the non African brands. To bad they have had customer service issues here.

Mgyver1

Observer
Same here. I have a Howling Moon 1.4 Stargazer deluxe that I would say is excellent quality, except for the ball / socket design for the overhang support pole. They have a strong Australian presence and Howling Moon Australia has been posting YouTube videos lately. Meanwhile the main HM Facebook page hasn’t had an update since March 7th.

Heakle

I have been trying to buy walls for my Howling Moon Trailer Tent Xt for over a year now. Tons of call to Sierra Expedition, Will says he has a yellow sticky with my name over his desk, and at least dozen emails to HM. Will has contacted me twice with no help but he will check a remote warehouse, 4 months ago......silence since and never a return email from HM.
I really love the tent but I feel something is really wrong here with a run around from a distributor and being ignored by the manufacturer. If they are having problems why take it out on the customers.

I cannot recommend Sierra Expeditions or Howling Moon to anyone since going through this for over a year.

Mgyver1

Observer
It really stinks because your only other option for an ultra high quality soft RTT is Eezi Awn. They do make a great product, but I prefer the HM for a few reasons. Mainly the thicker mattress (only 1/2” though), stargazer, optional annex that has a floor, the design of the side windows and that the base isn’t solid wood. I wish they would get their presence back here. I had a great experience buying mine from Sierra Expeditions 2-1/2 years ago and I was hoping to be able to get an annex for it too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne