sheeesh

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
The African portion of this forum is quiet.... I think we need to liven it up a bit!

Ill start, name is Rob and I live in Johannesburg working as an expat engineer in remote locations around the continent.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Africa seems like a huge ADVENTURE ! I hope to make it there one day in the not too distant future.

Latetom

Observer
Just returned from driving South Africa/Lesotho/South Africa for three months. Returning early next year for five or six months in Southern Africa.

Questions

Anyone have good updated links on visas, border crossings, temporary important permits and carnets?

Good links or thoughts on a route or places not to miss?

Guides or tours?

Favorite lodging?

Things your vehicle needs to have and carry to avoid tickets?

Great birding spots (yes, we are birders)?

Best way to keep up on local issues/news? (South Africa had a riot, we drove through a citizen road block - think our TX license plates provided us a pass, had to take a detour because of another citizen group blocking a highway)

Anything that may be of interest to someone driving in Southern Africa: a book: we listened to "A Long Walk" and "Cry the Beloved Country"; best clothing, hats, coats, etc.; tipping advice; best petro stations for toilets (my wife); and anything else that comes to mind.

As Detour noted when he began this thread, way to quite - especially when any overland expedition around the world seems to me has to spend some time in Africa.

Look forward to your information and thoughts.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Did see many rented vehicles in SA but my adventure was with a safari to Zulu country for two weeks and in a large animal area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra