Strengthening roof sheet metal to support weight?

mrsa111

Observer
I need to mount some gas struts in the middle of my roof sheet metal for a pop top. It caves in pretty easy, putting a board over about 20” of it helps, but it still caves. Anyone got some ideas for how I could strengthen it? Preferably without welding?

Betarocker

Adventurer
Might be able to laminate 3/4" plywood of a size such that it will fit between the cross beam ribs and goes wall to wall. Use a power plane and shape it to the underside roof profile, keeping it 1.5" thick minimum. Use sub-floor adhesive to glue it to the underside of the roof.

Another option would be to do a similar thing, but use thinner plywood and laminate in place.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I made a whole roof sub frame and bolted it in. It also houses different things, switches, speakers and lights.

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 16

mrsa111

Observer
I made a whole roof sub frame and bolted it in. It also houses different things, switches, speakers and lights.

wow nice work! I only have a small area above the cab that needs it, in two small areas, I was thinking of something quick and simple, my best idea yet is basically sandwiching the roof metal between two runners of thicker metal, bolting it it maybe 4 places. The top is covered by the pop top bed and the bottom will be covered by the headliner, so doesnt need to look pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier