Anyone have LOD or Shrockworks Tire Carrier in Central Cali?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
After several attempts, I've decided to buy versus build my rear bumper and tire carrier.

Before dropping a couple of mortgage payments, I would like to see these both in person.

If you have the LOD or Shrockworks rear JK tire carrier, I would like to see it in person. I'd be happy to bring a beer.

I'm thinking my range of normal travel is about Ventura to about Sacramento, and Sierras west to the coast.

Thanks,

Nate

rubicon91

Explorer
Absolutely positively no where close to you. In fact I am probably as far away as you can be from you in the continental US. With that said I have had my LOD signature series rear bumper for about 5 years now. Love it. But there are a couple of things with it I do not like. The placement of the tire carrier is about quarter inch to far in. The bottom plastic piece on my tailgate hits it when fully open and therefore I have replaced it a couple of times in the 5 years due to it cracking. That is my biggest gripe. The other is due to this the tail gate does not open all the way. Maybe a few % off on the overall opening. Not much and if that plastic piece never came in contact I probably would have never known. Now with that gripe let me also say I can live with it and love what this rack has done for me. I have the powertank mount on drivers side for my 5lb propane tank, rotopax mount on passenger side for water and the trail rack. I have had to touch it up here and there for chips in powder coating but nothing I have not had to do with other powder coated items as well. I am happy with the money I spent on this bumper/tire carrier.

Attachments

• 20170916_141924_resized.jpg
    20170916_141924_resized.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 22

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I agree that Florida might be a bit far to drive in order to see one in person, but I appreciate the feedback all the same.

I've been looking at the signature series over the destroyer because something in my mind says that an additional latch beyond the door latch is a good idea.

Is your pivot a bearing or a bushing arrangement? Any wobble front to rear when you drive?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Somewhere in the back of my mind, the Smittybuilt Atlas keeps popping up as a possibility as well. I've seen several locally, and other than feeling very heavy and having concerns about the latch, they seem pretty decent. Given that I don't want to engage in the "Smittybuilt = poo-built" debate, or the "everything from China sucks" debate, are there any fact based observations out there about that option? A major pro is that it puts a tire and 2 cans on the back of the rig for about 60% of the cost of the others, and in 2-3 days delivered locally versus several weeks, it seems like a workable option.

My original idea to build one was basically something that looked like the Atlas with a few more options added, including a 3rd can. I got pretty well through the center of the bumper, hitch, and tow points, got it mounted, and generally ran out of steam when I started to build the ends of the bumper. My main issue was that I really only have the capacity to bend 15" wide plate on my swag bender, so I'm welding a LOT, and don't know how well that will work in the long run. I also don't have the patience to lay an entire bumper out in CAD then send it out for a one-off laser cut and bend... only to do it 3-4 more times when I screw up. There are plenty of shops that could do it, but I don't have strong working relationships there, and I'm not likely to develop them in building a single bumper. I also don't want to absorb the engineering costs in an attempt to start a business building something that hundreds of others are also building.

Although... I might be willing to put that time and effort into building a 6' press brake. Anyone else tried that?

Thanks, and keep any ideas coming.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
After several attempts, I've decided to buy versus build my rear bumper and tire carrier.

Before dropping a couple of mortgage payments, I would like to see these both in person.

If you have the LOD or Shrockworks rear JK tire carrier, I would like to see it in person. I'd be happy to bring a beer.

I'm thinking my range of normal travel is about Ventura to about Sacramento, and Sierras west to the coast.

Thanks,

Nate

Shoot! about 5 months too late. I'm about an hour and a half away, but sold the Jeep...
Similar input to Donny.
The spindle is a bronze bushing with a zerk fitting. I only had this for about 2 or 3 years (probably 10K miles), but did a lot of rock crawling and rocky trails. Once the tail gate striker was adjusted correctly there was no rattle noise.

I moved the license plate to the arm to clean up the driver's rear quarter panel, installed the CHMSL to the lower rack bar, removed the orange lever cover and plastic-dipped the handle, then painted the rest of the latch. LoD cut out the the bumper so I could mount the 7 pin trailer harness as well.
I added a Titan Trekker fuel tank near the end. Even with all that weight it did awesome.

If I was to do it again, I'd opt for the LED rear lights for serviceability, and better flood pattern, and I'd do the power tank mount.
Other than that, I'd buy this bumper again in a heartbeat. In fact I plan to work with them to build one for my Scout 800. :)

Good luck with your choice. :beer:

Attachments

• Squeeze-is-on.jpg
    Squeeze-is-on.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Titan-Fuel-Tank-Mounted.jpg
    Titan-Fuel-Tank-Mounted.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Shovel-mounted.jpg
    Shovel-mounted.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thanks for the info and pics. It worked out that I used some Craigslist karma and a mandatory trip to UC Davis to hook up a smittybilt atlas used this weekend. I haven't installed it yet, but I have come close to blowing out my groin unloading it from the truck tonight.

My overall first impression is that it is far overbuilt for the need. I suspect that most bumpers are, as the average customer probably wants something thicker instead of more elegant...

I can also see that their frame mounts and nut plate leave a bit to be desired, but the pivot and latch seem to be decent enough, although hard to open. I'm going to see what happens once I install and adjust it, but I will probably end up making new nut plates and changing up the frame mounts a bit. You can see rub marks on the bumper that I assume are from the previous owners body corners.

I suspect that this will be the bumper I run for a couple of years while I mess around with another custom build in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier