Best GMRS unit for under $150

vartz04

Adventurer
Looking for something either vehicle mounted or something that is handheld that can use a external antenna. Main purpose is job site communication (road construction) with alternative purpose of communications between vehicles when traveling. Gmrs is what I would like as they use FRS and GMRS at work. Only one I’ve found is the midland micros

Ray_G

Explorer
Looking for something either vehicle mounted or something that is handheld that can use a external antenna. Main purpose is job site communication (road construction) with alternative purpose of communications between vehicles when traveling. Gmrs is what I would like as they use FRS and GMRS at work. Only one I've found is the midland micros

The alternative would be to buy a UHF radio that can operate in the GMRS frequency range and use it there, hypothetically.

That said, I think your question is answered by your post-the Midland MXT series is the best of breed for under $150; it is also really the only in the breed but I spent last weekend with a friend where we each had MXT115's mounted in our trucks and got extremely good results from them.

Thus the best GMRS unit for under $150 is the MXT115.
r-
Ray

vartz04

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. Looks like midland it is. I don’t want another hobby with the programming and what not

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Looks like midland it is. I don't want another hobby with the programming and what not

This is where I think the midland excels; out of the box it was easy to set up and works extremely well. The little mag antenna that comes with it is decent; you can achieve the same results with any number of Chinese radios for cheaper but you'll end up piecing together some elements and still need to program it. There is some elegant simplicity to the Midland that I am fond of.
r-
Ray

camp4x4

Adventurer
Gmrs is what I would like as they use FRS and GMRS at work.

The alternative would be to buy a UHF radio that can operate in the GMRS frequency range and use it there, hypothetically.

Just have to point out... both of these are illegal. GMRS radios are type-certified and have to be approved for use on those channels; any old UHF radio is not going to be approved for GMRS. Also, unless your company has had a GMRS license since prior to 1987 GMRS isn't license for commercial use. FRS is fine.

But, to answer your question... for the moment Midland is the main company making new hardware for GMRS, particularly mobile units. Their MicroMobile units have had good reviews and a nice form for mounting in a vehicle.

Both Midland and now BTECH are making nice handheld units. The BTECH GMRS handheld has a removable antenna so you can use a cig plug to battery adapter, add-on mics and external antenna.

So really your main decision is how tidy you want the unit to be in the vehicle. HT's in a truck add up to a lot of stuff hanging off them. While mobiles are nice and tidy but can't be used outside of the truck. Otherwise power is the main difference.

One thing you have to think about regarding power is this: what are the other people using? If they're all using little bubble-pack handhelds without external antennas in their trucks, it doesn't matter if you're using a nice mobile unit... if they can hear you but you can't hear them you're not communicating... just something to think about...

Also, I presume you're aware a GMRS license is required? https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs#block-menu-block-4 $70 for 10 years. But, again... only supposed to be for family use.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
Just have to point out... both of these are illegal. GMRS radios are type-certified and have to be approved for use on those channels; any old UHF radio is not going to be approved for GMRS. Also, unless your company has had a GMRS license since prior to 1987 GMRS isn't license for commercial use. FRS is fine.

I don't think you're correct on this point. Do you have a reference somewhere that states this is true? A licensed operator is the operating station. There are limits on ERP, frequencies, bandwidth and deviation, but there's no requirement that it has to be on a commercial radio.

I think you may be misinterpreting Part 95, specifically 95.651

Ray_G

Explorer
I don't think you're correct on this point. Do you have a reference somewhere that states this is true? A licensed operator is the operating station. There are limits on ERP, frequencies, bandwidth and deviation, but there's no requirement that it has to be on a commercial radio.

I think you may be misinterpreting Part 95, specifically 95.651

Ed-
I don't think there is misinterpretation. Hence why I said 'hypothetically' since it is known to be violating the FCC to use something like a Baofeng on GMRS channels-even if you have both a HAM and GMRS license since I'm unaware of Baofeng having an FCC certification to operate on any frequency.

Applicable rules:
§ 95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification.
(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.
(b) A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.
(c) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in § 95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service....

Sourcing: https://www.fcc.gov/document/part-95-report-and-order
News: https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/presentations/files/nov17/31-Part-95-Update-to-TCB-TD.pdf

I'll have my D3 on Thurs with the Midland installed-it def is a tidy unit.
r-
Ray

sonoronos

hmm...

If you look at the battery sticker on your HT, all Baofeng handhelds have a full, real-deal Part 90 certification for all the frequencies they cover. Or at least it should :)

I really don't think using Part 90 radios for GMRS by a GMRS licensed operator is illegal. I could definitely be wrong...but I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case? I mean, part 90 wideband channel width and deviation is well within GMRS spec.

I really need to come to HH....

Last edited:

camp4x4

Adventurer
hmm...

If you look at the battery sticker on your HT, all Baofeng handhelds have a full, real-deal Part 90 certification for all the frequencies they cover. Or at least it should :)

I really don't think using Part 90 radios for GMRS by a GMRS licensed operator is illegal. I could definitely be wrong...but I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case?

I really need to come to HH....

Can you post a picture of said sticker? Because mostly they aren't. If you check the FCC certification database you'll see most Baofengs are only Part 15 certified (which is required for every electronic thing under the sun) and only a couple are Part 95 certified. They have a Part 90 business radio (UV-8C) but that isn't what most people buy. If yours has a sticker you've got an 8C. Neither of my UV-8HP have it and nor does my buddy's UV-5R. Most of these HT's are sold as amateur radios, not Business Band.

And while I know people have/do use Business Band radios for GMRS, that's generally not the way to go about it, and that doesn't mean you can use GMRS radio licenses for commercial use.

EDIT: I stand somewhat corrected... I rechecked the database for Part 90 certified Baofengs, and there are in fact a number of Business Band radios made by Baofeng.

Last edited:

sonoronos

EDIT: I stand somewhat corrected... I rechecked the database for Part 90 certified Baofengs, and there are in fact a number of Business Band radios made by Baofeng.

Big Edit:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/08/29/2017-17395/personal-radio-service-reform

I just read through the new federal register changes by the FCC, effective September 28, 2017. Apparently there is now a formal ruling on the subject of using Part 90 radios for Part 95 communications:

"8. The part 95 R&O also declined suggestions from recent comments to expand the scope of these data applications to allow them on devices with detachable antennas and on all GMRS channels and to change the duty cycle or response parameters of the data applications (e.g., automatic or periodic data response). Similarly, the Commission declined to expand GMRS capabilities to authorize digital voice modulation techniques, such as time division multiple access (TDMA) (i.e., 7K60FXE 2‐slot DMR TDMA). For similar reasons, it declined to allow GMRS licensees to use equipment certified under part 90 Land Mobile Radio Service rules unless it is also certified for part 95. "

So I stand corrected. Aaron, you are correct, it's Part 95 GMRS or nothing for GMRS comms.

Last edited:

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Part 90 is commercial and Part 95 is CB/GRMS/FRS. You need to be part 95 certified for use on GMRS/FRS. The big thing is FRS cannot have a removable antenna and GMRS has limits on modulation types and power out. the newest rules (not sure when they are enforceable as I have not looked at the Federal register to see when they were published) will no longer allow FRS and GMRS radios to talk to each other. NO idea why, but the FCC works in strange and mysterious ways.

There ARE some older land mobile radio units which do have dual certification (90/95) which pop up on ebay now and then. I think there are specific Baofeng and such units that look almost identical to the Part 90 units and Ham units that are certified specifically for Part 95.

Just got to look carefully.

Short answer, easiest way is to get a Midland for GMRS and a bubble pack radio for FRS.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Yeah, but I also stand corrected. I assumed we were talking Part 90, but there are definitely a bunch of non-Part 90 HT's from Baofeng, especially the older ones.

So I have to clarify - Part 95 certified radios - legal. Part 90 certified radios - gray area. Everything else commercial - not legal. Homebrew GMRS - not sure, but virtually nobody would be operating this.

Yeah, this isn't the first conversation I've been in where the parts got mixed up. ;) Best I can tell where the confusion comes in regarding business radios on GMRS is because older business radios used the "Dot" frequencies, some (all?) of which have been refarmed to GMRS, MURS and other services now.

Just because I've gone down this rabbit hole and figured I'd share: one of the issues with all these non-ham bands is they're mostly narrowbanded, meaning the frequencies are spaced out much less than amateur bands.

From the FCC Business Band page:
"450-470 MHz
Available nationwide
Channels are generally spaced every 6.25 kHz
Authorized Bandwidth is 11.25 kHz or 6 kHz (wider bandwidth is permitted only if it achieves equivalent efficiency)"

Whereas GMRS and FRS use either 25kHz or 12.5kHz depending on the channel. And amateur radios typically use 25kHz (unless specifically set to narrowband mode at 12.5kHz).

So what this means is that a GMRS or Amateur radio set to a Business frequency could theoretically be talking over up to 3 frequencies at once and bleeding into others. That's one of the reasons why these radios have to be certified: to verify they're set to appropriate bandwidth for the frequencies.

Hey OP: bet you didn't think you'd be learning all this eh? Srsly though, sorry for the thread jack. I know you were just looking for a radio... hope you like the Midland. ;)

vartz04

Adventurer
After reading this and asking questions at work they definitely do not use gmrs and it’s CB or FRS.

It’s a ton of info but I love this kind of stuff

OklahomaOverland

the newest rules (not sure when they are enforceable as I have not looked at the Federal register to see when they were published) will no longer allow FRS and GMRS radios to talk to each other. NO idea why, but the FCC works in strange and mysterious ways.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the new rules, and I did not see this. What I did see was that the FCC will no longer issue grants for FRS/GMRS radios. Radios that are sold as FRS will have all 22 shared frequencies. And will not operate outside of FRS power limits. GMRS radios can operate at the higher GMRS power levels, and operate on repeaters. GMRS will continue to require the license. I just filed for mine. I am also looking forward to the new FRS only handheld radios hitting the market at the 2w limit.

Just as you suggested I will have high powered GMRS radios for me and my family, and FRS radios for friends.

Chad Ellis
KE5ZDV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles