Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare Tire Mount Ideas?

No roof rack currently but that's a possibility

I too have a 5x8 with "running boards" behind the wheels. Original use was mfc/mwc. Last trip one got used for the spare.
    I agree the doors are weak, and my side door started to rot, and no one had any ideas for a replacement. I made one from 2 layers of Advantech glued and screwed together. Reused the aluminum channel at the edges. I also added a vintage camper latch to the new door. It is much stronger than the original door, no flex, seals better.
    I will be making a similar replacement rear door this winter and be mounting the spare there along with some footman loops for the trasharoo.
    Jean, wonderful wife

2003 SequoIa
    Cargo/adventure trailer
    W4PIN and VE
    PMP

Do you have enough room for the spare between the frame rails underneath the floor? If so, what about installing an under-floor winch like many SUVs have? I plan to install one under my Jeep-tub trailer, this photo shows a Ford Explorer tire winch I picked up at the junkyard.

The Explorer winch requires a small hole in the floor for the jack handle to operate it; some others (my 2000 Suburban for example) activate from the side, the Suburban has a hole in the bumper to reach the mechanism. Some searching around a u-pull junkyard will turn up a bunch of different styles.

I've got plenty of clearance between the floor and the ground for a spare, you may not have the room depending on your tire size and clearance.

Or, as downhill has suggested, a tongue mount. That's what I've currently got on the trailer, I got it at Tractor Supply: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...re-mount?rfk=1. The reason I plan to replace it with the under-floor winch is that I want to use the space on the tongue for something else.

"Whether you think you can do something or you think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

I don't want to do an under trailer mount because it will eat up a lot of my ground clearance. I think I'm going to mount it on the side, above and just slightly behind the axle like the picture below. I am going to weld in a thick walled piece of channel inside the wall from the frame to the top of the wall and then bolt through to that.

trailer tire.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gwolff View Post
    I don't want to do an under trailer mount because it will eat up a lot of my ground clearance. I think I'm going to mount it on the side, above and just slightly behind the axle like the picture below. I am going to weld in a thick walled piece of channel inside the wall from the frame to the top of the wall and then bolt through to that.

trailer tire.jpg
    @gwolff and OP, what do you think about putting it right in front of the tongue box atop the tongue itself? This keeps:

• weight low and centered (you could orient the spare perpendicular or parallel to the tongue)
    • easy access to the spare
    • tongue box storage capacity "as is"

You might be able to use a tongue mount (as @jscherb suggested) atop that tongue box's top rail with some minor changes. My $.02....

Don't forget your Trasharoo....

Quote Originally Posted by tlin View Post
    @gwolff and OP, what do you think about putting it right in front of the tongue box atop the tongue itself? This keeps:

• weight low and centered (you could orient the spare perpendicular or parallel to the tongue)
    • easy access to the spare
    • tongue box storage capacity "as is"

You might be able to use a tongue mount (as @jscherb suggested) atop that tongue box's top rail with some minor changes. My $.02....

Don't forget your Trasharoo....
    I don't want to put that heavy thing on the tongue, my trailer is going to be very tongue heavy as it is.

Here is what I've come up with. It's going to need more perpendicular support. I am going to add another piece of channel in the wall to the rear of the trailer and then weld some tubing to mounting bracket horizontally that I can bolt to the new piece of channel. The tire mount is going to look like a plus sign without the left edge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12