Tires - C load range 285/75 or 255/85R16s?

JohnnyS

Explorer
Not apples to apples but I just put 235/85 R16 ST MAXXES on a 1st gen with the OE wheels. Whether it is because of the narrower size, the different tire or both I don't know but I went from D to E with the Coopers and the E's ride like a dream compared to the D range BFG's I replaced. I was expecting them to be harsh but they actually made all the little square edge bumps from Detroit's terrible road's almost completely disappear.

Thanks!!

bkg

Explorer
Ordered lift for my wife’s 4Runner. Finding a 285/70-17 in C is tough. May have to but the bullet and go.... SL. ?

bkg

Explorer
I will never go back to C rated tire, I don’t believe 4 ply are strong enough for an off road tire. I had an almost new set of tires off a 2016 4Runner SR5 and had a rock break through the tread and tear a hole in the tire construction. My thoughts are that if it happen to one, it could happen to more, so I will spend a little more on fuel and make it out and back. Also a side note, I lost less or about a mile to the gallon, by switching to 10 ply from a 4 ply, in the same size.

Stock tires? I’d bet they we p-rated and max 2-ply. That is what was on our 2015 stock

JohnnyS

Explorer
Mounted 5 255/85-16 Cooper ST Max tires on the OE wheels to replace my 265/75s. Look great, ride great, rub on the UCAs when at lock...grrrr

JohnnyS

Explorer
I think SPC UCAs are slightly smaller in diameter near the ball joint, that might be the fix. Hmmm...

Definitely don't want spacers, nor new wheels.

Probably smartest to align it with the stock UCAs and see if that helps.

Last edited:

thezentree

pretend redneck
I think SPC UCAs are slightly smaller in diameter near the ball joint, that might be the fix. Hmmm...

Definitely don't want spacers, nor new wheels.

Probably smartest to align it with the stock UCAs and see if that helps.

An alignment won't change the relationship between the tire and UCA - all your adjustment (other than toe) will be made at the frame.

That said, I've got SPC UCAs on my 4Runner and I did gain like half an inch of clearance from tire to UCA. They're not hard to install other than getting the upper ball joint out.

roving1

Mounted 5 255/85-16 Cooper ST Max tires on the OE wheels to replace my 265/75s. Look great, ride great, rub on the UCAs when at lock...grrrr

Cool to hear, about the ride anyway. I took a coworker for a ride that was last in my truck on BFG'S and he immediately asked what I did to make the ride so much better. He didn't believe it was just the Coopers at the same pressure as the BFG'S were. They really do ride amazing. Hope it lasts.

bkg

Explorer

Excuse the perhaps ignorant question. How can a tire that is narrower than stock rub an a-arm??

Last edited:

JohnnyS

Explorer
Excuse the perhaps ignorant question. How can a tire that is narrower than stock rub an a-arm??

Excellent question!

I wasn't very excited when I noticed it...albeit not really surprised.

It likely boils down to actual tire dimensions, the variances between manufacturers and different tire designs is pretty significant.

The Cooper's appear to run pretty true to size, that and the Discoverer ST Maxx seem quite "square" where the tread transitions to the sidewall.

The additional height and aggressive design puts them at the perfect position to barely touch the UCAs at lock.

Weird. Too bad I don't have a pile of different 255s to test fit for a thread. :********:

There are a few other projects in front of the Taco but I'll report back when I've found a solution...with pics.

Cheers!

roving1

Did you have a narrower sidewall before? If so, you've gained a lot more cushion in the extra rubber thickness. And as tires age, the rubber hardens, slowly making the ride worse and worse, which is made worse yet by the ever-decreasing rubber thickness (as it erodes away).

The tires were 5 years old but only 60% worn. I went narrower and taller. Which helped for sure but it's shocking how bad the BFG'S were even considering they were older.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have the 255/85r16 cooper st Maxx on my sequoia and really like them , super strong sidewalls and so far work fantastic in the snow and ice

Clutch

<---Pass
Ordered lift for my wife's 4Runner. Finding a 285/70-17 in C is tough. May have to but the bullet and go.... SL. &#62977;

SL's are the new C's...

I run the same brand and tread pattern on our vehicles...mine truck has C's and her SUV has SL's....I can't tell a difference. Max Load specs are fairly similar enough that it is splitting hairs. Don't come anywhere near max payload on either vehicle, so figured they would be fine.

Have an extra set of 16" rims for the truck so I can run 265/75/16, since 32/11.5/15 C rated tires are getting hard find. Have been wanting to try a set of 235/85/16's, but seemingly impossible to find with less than an E load. Had a set of Cooper ATW's 265/75/16 E's for about a month, but sold them since they rode too rough.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles