Tires - C load range 285/75 or 255/85R16s?

thezentree

pretend redneck
I posted a similar thread over on T4R, but does anyone have experience with an all terrain (or even a good MT) tire in 285/75R16 or 255/85R16 that's not E-load range?

I've got 285 KO2s on my 3rd gen 4Runner that look great, but they are way too heavy. I lost like 25% of my fuel range when I installed them and they are so stiff that they transmit EVERY little bump in the road into the body, even at 30psi. I know everyone thinks highly of the 255 ST Maxx, but they're even heavier than the KO2s I have now.

Thanks!

Del Gue

Observer
You could pick up a set of BF Goodrich 255 75 R17 Mud Terrain Tires in Load C. They can be bought for cheap as "take offs" from a jeep wrangler. It's a narrow 32" tire.

bkg

Explorer
Hard to find. I want with Load range D General AT2’ in 285/75-16 on my Tacoma

thezentree

pretend redneck
255/85/16 is a great tire size (definitely a way better option than 285s!), but there's a very limited number of options available in it.

I recently looked into the same thing (well, the 255/80/17 size for my 17" wheels). I would love load-C KO2s in that size, but they're not available. Those ST Maxx tires are pretty much the best option that you can get, but I don't know whether they'd be an upgrade or a downgrade from the KO2s. Snow performance is quite important to me, and I've yet to find any concrete info about that - some people claim they are awesome, others claim they they are utterly hopeless. The official Cooper site only says that they are M+S rated and are studdable, but no further info. The KO2s have the 3-peaked-mountain, which is the "extreme" snow rating, but how do the ST Maxx compare? No idea (yet)...

Anyways... when I switched to load range C KO2s from my OEM Firestone Destination LE2 tires, the comfort difference was instantly noticeable (as in, the very first speed bump in the parking lot of the Costco that did the tire swap). Very "comfortable" tires that have performed superbly in everything I've thrown them in.

There is another option you could consider: 34x10.5 KO2s in load range D. Might be a good middle ground!

Those 34s are an option, but I'd need 17" wheels (unless there's a 16" version I missed).

This doesn't exactly answer your question but it might be helpful in comparing tire weights and other attributes. I put this together a couple years ago when shopping for tires for my Xterra.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hYgUsMXl9xdSpU8c5nwW1CFB8axXrZf6PVyw2wi8nEY/edit?usp=sharing

I would have preferred a C or D load rating too for the weight savings, but ended up with an E range as it was the only option in the tire / size that I decided on.

That's a useful spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing it.

You could pick up a set of BF Goodrich 255 75 R17 Mud Terrain Tires in Load C. They can be bought for cheap as "take offs" from a jeep wrangler. It's a narrow 32" tire.

That's something that I've strongly considered, but I have 16" wheels right now. Any savings I might see from buying takeoffs would be eaten up in buying new wheels.

I might have to just suck it up and buy both though...

Hard to find. I want with Load range D General AT2' in 285/75-16 on my Tacoma

What year Tacoma? Do you like them?

phsycle

Adventurer
Sorry man. But if you’re trying to gain any significant MPG back, you will be highly disappointed you sunk all that money into new tires for nothing. The only way you’ll gain any meaningful mileage back is getting smaller tires. Or regear.

Ride comfort wise. Maybe look at softer springs.

NMBruce

Adventurer
I will never go back to C rated tire, I don't believe 4 ply are strong enough for an off road tire. I had an almost new set of tires off a 2016 4Runner SR5 and had a rock break through the tread and tear a hole in the tire construction. My thoughts are that if it happen to one, it could happen to more, so I will spend a little more on fuel and make it out and back. Also a side note, I lost less or about a mile to the gallon, by switching to 10 ply from a 4 ply, in the same size.

bkg

Explorer
I will never go back to C rated tire, I don’t believe 4 ply are strong enough for an off road tire. I had an almost new set of tires off a 2016 4Runner SR5 and had a rock break through the tread and tear a hole in the tire construction. My thoughts are that if it happen to one, it could happen to more, so I will spend a little more on fuel and make it out and back. Also a side note, I lost less or about a mile to the gallon, by switching to 10 ply from a 4 ply, in the same size.

10 ply on a 4Runner? Ack. That’s an E+. But they should wear well, guess.

JohnnyS

Explorer
Minor thread drift...

Anyone running Cooper 255/85-16s on a 2nd gen Taco with an OME suspension on OE wheels?

My 265/75-16s are in need of replacement and I'm debating with moving up to 255s.

Thanks!

roving1

Not apples to apples but I just put 235/85 R16 ST MAXXES on a 1st gen with the OE wheels. Whether it is because of the narrower size, the different tire or both I don't know but I went from D to E with the Coopers and the E's ride like a dream compared to the D range BFG's I replaced. I was expecting them to be harsh but they actually made all the little square edge bumps from Detroit's terrible road's almost completely disappear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles