WinterBus

Saguache

Adventurer
Adding this as a stub because I'm currently waiting in line for a ferry, but the WinterBus (1991 Mitsubishi Delicas L300 Chamonix) is currently and forever mine. More on what I did, am doing and will do later. Satisfy yourself with a picture.
734f0b14f51e10df5573d5dc883812bd.jpg
8e5717171d7b71b6fd58871d6d0b7ad3.jpg
3fac2a56c33462aaecde57ceff2a82c6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Saguache

Adventurer
Plans

Okay, so here's the part where we write down all our dream plans for WinterBus. Some of these are underway and some will take when time or money become available.

• Replace five tires with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 30" Tires
  • Install Sony XAV-AX100 Stereo (post removal of Japanese Karaoke machine and TV
  • Install flush mounted USB port
  • AUX fuse and isolator box
  • Reverse Camera
  • Garmin DashCam 55 with hardwire harness
  • Pull out kitchenette mounted in space below rear bench seat (include water tank and storage if possible)
  • Cup holders
  • Mount Thule bars or custom cage rack
  • Consider RTT install
  • Replace rear bumper with split swing arm tire and storage mount (spare fuel mount0
  • Steel 20l Jerry Cans
  • Engine block heater (plug?)
  • Replace diesel timer

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Okay, so here's the part where we write down all our dream plans for WinterBus. Some of these are underway and some will take when time or money become available.

• Replace five tires with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 30" Tires
  • Install Sony XAV-AX100 Stereo (post removal of Japanese Karaoke machine and TV
  • Install flush mounted USB port
  • AUX fuse and isolator box
  • Reverse Camera
  • Garmin DashCam 55 with hardwire harness
  • Pull out kitchenette mounted in space below rear bench seat (include water tank and storage if possible)
  • Cup holders
  • Mount Thule bars or custom cage rack
  • Consider RTT install
  • Replace rear bumper with split swing arm tire and storage mount (spare fuel mount0
  • Steel 20l Jerry Cans
  • Engine block heater (plug?)
  • Replace diesel timer

I think you've PMed me on Delica.ca, but don't hesitate to reach out here, too.

Just a few things:
• I installed 30x9.50 Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015s. Love them.
• Just installed a Sony MEX-N4280BT. No more JDM radio (I can only listen to so much jazz at 89.1 FM)
• I bought a flush-mount USB to go into the cigarette lighter. It's a quick-charge one, too. Works great.
• Cup holders -- still not sure what to do about that.
• We're currently running Yakima Round Bars with an ARB 2500 Aluminum Awning mounted with Bomber Products' Awn-Lock mounts.
• Looking forward to see what you do with a spare tire mount. I would love a swing-away unit on mine.

I will also be looking at a custom winch mounting system for my L300. I need to pull off the bull bar and front bumper and see what we've got to work with.

Saguache

Adventurer
Yep, that's me. I've been a member/contributor here for a lot longer so it's my go2 spot for all things overland. Mitsubishi's are a new trick in my hat.

* I thought about the Geolandars but installation time on them was longer and I've owned a few sets of the BFGs. So far I couldn't be happier with the 30's
* That Sony was on the list, but I ended up going for the XAV-AX100 because it has Android Autoplay feature (which works pretty well so far). I may end up putting a MEX-N4280BT in my wife's Fiat. We'll see.
* Do you have installation pictures of your flush mount USB install? I'm sort of feeling around for the best location and haven't made up my mind yet.
* I have the cup holders, but will need to remove door panels before I install them.
* Right I'm watching Craig's list of bars with risers that will work. Most likely I'll get Yakima or Thule when the time is right. I did just find a brochure in Japanese for a strap on ski rack that must have been lost in the move from Japan. Sweet little rig, but not currently in my van.
* Right now the spare is sitting in the back. When I get closer to fabricating a bumper I'll put pictures up.

There are a number of Austrailian enthusiasts that have winches mounted on the front so I know it can be done. Would be nice, but for the time being, I'll use a come-along if that's ever necessary.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Yep, that's me. I've been a member/contributor here for a lot longer so it's my go2 spot for all things overland. Mitsubishi's are a new trick in my hat.
* Do you have installation pictures of your flush mount USB install? I'm sort of feeling around for the best location and haven't made up my mind yet.

It's literally a 12V cigarette lighter plug with 2 USB slots. Just goes into the cigarette lighter.

Saguache

Adventurer
Okay, been noodling this one over plenty the last couple of days. I found a thread on a UK Delica board the describes the process of taking our black instrument panel to white and thereafter lighting the area with brighter lights. Yeah! Night driving, I just sort trust that I'm not going too fast because I'm behind the wheel of a gutless wonder.

The link no longer works, go figure, but the picture is helpful because we have a manufacturer of the panel replacement. Lockwood still makes panel replacements for Mitsubishi's older Delicas. Boo! I doubt my ability to get them to laser cut and print a new-old panel like what is in the thread photo so my options are:
1) Print and replace myself a custom panel
2) Find an old Lockwood or equivalent from a defunct van somewhere in the world.

I've gone the route of option-one before. I did this for a VW about a decade ago and it took way more time and effort than I would have liked, but it made knowing how slow I was going a lot easier after sunset. What I may look into doing this time is taking out the panel, tracing it for a pattern and then cutting and printing my own version, thereby saving myself the time of having the panel out and not being able to drive my rig. Option-two is only workable if I get lucky, so bleh. Putting this out here because sometimes the best way to get lucky is to ask. Anyone have a white lockwood in MPH or KPH for a 1991 Delica?

Saguache

Adventurer
img_20171220_140348-1.jpg

Okay, some good news! Late yesterday afternoon (this far north it was dark) a box came from RightDrive. I thought this was a box of door seals I ordered so I put it in the garage on the workbench and let it chill for the night. When I checked the email from them this morning I realized it was the filter kit I ordered a couple of weeks back. Sweet!

Haven't done the fuel-filter or oil change yet, but I did swap the air filter and holy cow! I now have NO unburnt fuel in the exhaust at start or under load and no power loss on hills.

Saguache

Adventurer
Less words, more pics! those graphics look legit. Thanks for sharing.

We're leaving on a four day into BC where I imagine I'll be snapping glamor shots of my van. Check back soon!

Today I CLEANED the literal crud out of it. Twenty-six years of mostly Japanese boogers, lightly frosted with dog fur. I feel dirty now. Also, added my medallion.

img_20171221_144607.jpg

Saguache

Adventurer
Spent time in the guts today, mostly prepping for EGR deletion. Still have to Fab up the plates for this.

Biggest question of the day is this switch on the IP. Anyone know what it does?
2a35cec1c7046d32487ea1b65ad7314a.jpg
5f496fe0ab7ae4754bd0f0ef3be413f0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Saguache

Adventurer
It's especially rainy today, but the materials I bought to complete an EGR delete showed up late yesterday afternoon, so I'm going to look for a break in the downpour and hope for the best. Maybe tidy up the garage in the meantime.

Yeah, I do plan on removing the EGR on my 4D56t. I have a couple of reasons to do this. First, longevity. As we're all keenly aware a 26-year-old JDM vehicle can make it difficult to find parts. While the EGR is great for combusting otherwise inert NOx emissions it's otherwise a long-term murder tube for your engine. I've already got about 135k on the odometer and there's plenty of gunk on the intake, the sooner this happens the better.

Second, Felix at Dino EVO did this on his second transcontinental build to great effect. Once I've got the plates in I'm hoping to clear out carbon to replicate this aspect of his project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles