Delica in California

Cobra_R

Adventurer
I can't seem to find a definitive answer but can I register a Delica in CA or do I need to jump through hoops like with a defender? I know with the defender, the issue is that the engines were never offered in the states so defenders don't come with the EPA placard in the door jamb and thus aren't technically legal in CA. Is it the same with the Delica?

Thanks

Saguache

Adventurer
The easy answer is that as long as the van is 25+ years old you're good to go, but the reality is the much of this depends on where and who you use to get registration.

WA department of Revenue is where I faced my biggest challenge. Both the EPA and NHTSB regards are clear about what is needed for import. However, the DOL couldn't look up a True Value based on the VIN. The VIN is only 13 characters long and they were looking for a 17 character VIN and couldn't or wouldn't use fair market value or the amount I paid for the paperwork. Ultimate I got an estimate of valuation from an Auto appraiser and found that I needed to time my registration for when one of two clerks was in the office. The other simple wouldn't do the work, refusing to help because the VIN was an unexpected length.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

corprin

Adventurer
A good friend of mine is currently working to get his R32 GTR titled in CA.

Beyond the 25yr rule, there are some minor modifications required to "californiaize" the car. So far what I can put together.... needs a CARB/oem cat, fuel filler nozzle limiter, and a Oem airbox.

I offered to register and store it here in MN for him.

Good luck.

Cobra_R

Adventurer
Yea, I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it. I'm ready to buy, just gotta figure out if I can get it registered without too many hoops. I'd be willing to bet that even if it's technically not legal, that it could probably slip by pretty easily. I might just take the chance on it.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Was your defender gas or diesel? From information that I gathered, is if its a gas vehicle older the 1974 no need for epa concerns, and on a diesel you don't need to worry about epa until 1997, but even for a diesel the vehicle has to be over 25 years old. I would be curious to have an answer as well to know what it takes to import and register a vehicle in CA for both gas and diesel engines.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer but can I register a Delica in CA or do I need to jump through hoops like with a defender? I know with the defender, the issue is that the engines were never offered in the states so defenders don't come with the EPA placard in the door jamb and thus aren't technically legal in CA. Is it the same with the Delica?

Thanks

Saguache

Adventurer
Was your defender gas or diesel? From information that I gathered, is if its a gas vehicle older the 1974 no need for epa concerns, and on a diesel you don't need to worry about epa until 1997, but even for a diesel the vehicle has to be over 25 years old. I would be curious to have an answer as well to know what it takes to import and register a vehicle in CA for both gas and diesel engines.
Any movement on this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles