Callen Camper for 8' bed with ARB Awning, Galvanized walk-on rack $2000

con kso

Adventurer
Great Baja proven Callen camper that was made to fit 8' bed. $2000

If you haven't heard about Callen campers, these were all custom made campers, constructed to withstand the beating that the dirt roads of Baja dish out. Old man Callen retired and handed his business off to his son, and in a story that's as old as the hills, Jr. wasn't quite the man that pops evidently was- the business declined into nothing.

I've seen on Craigslist that the old man is now building his campers one at a time - bespoke if you will. This same camper would cost over $4000 to get made today and you'd be on a long waiting list to get it.

Callens are special in that they possess a welded steel frame. The campers are insulated, water tight, warm and comfy on those cold Baja nights out at the 7 Sisters. The interior of the campers was left open so that motorcycles could be rolled in or surfboards stashed. I've lightly modified mine to sleep two on a platform bed that allows a huge amount of storage underneath.

I have an ARB awning off the back that I will include with the camper and I will also include the bed platform that I've made inside the camper that folds up to provide a small table to sit at when the wind or bugs drive you crazy.

The walk on top rack is made of expanded metal decking welded to a steel frame - it's all galvanized and is accessed by a powdercoated ladder on the side of the camper. We would frequently hang out up there drinking coffee and checking the surf. At this time I've got a RTT up there that will not be included in the sale.

Inside the camper there is a small cab-over section that is usefull for storage and for getting surfboards up to 11' long inside the camper. The interior height of the camper is about 5'6" or so - I'm 5'9" and I can't stand straight up inside of it - but it's just enough for me to stand inside to put on or change out of a wetsuit back there.

This camper is in good, not perfect condition - I took care of it, but I really used the thing and you will see scratches and dimples on parts of the camper. The camper is structurally sound.

All windows function, the two side windows have screens in perfect condition. The back door works, with two locks (one is a deadbolt) that work perfectly. The screen on the back door does have a small tear in it that I have covered with tape.

I will be taking this camper down to Baja for three weeks in December/January - it will be ready for sale by mid-January. If you are interested please contact me john@paddlesurf.net

I just ordered a FWC flatbed model camper or I would be keeping this camper - it's a simple, strong, offroad ready camper with lots of storage - I will actually miss it when it's gone.

The price for the camper, ARB awning, roof top walk-on deck and folding bed platform is $2000. Here are some photos of the camper in action:

con kso requeson.jpg

con kso rock.jpg

con kso beach camp 2.jpg

con kso conejo.jpg

con kso lilly.jpg

con kso rock 2.jpg

Attachments

• con kso laguna.jpg
    con kso laguna.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 513

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Wow! This is a great deal on a solidly built camper.

Makes me really wish I had a LB instead of a SB! I suppose I could box out the rear side overhangs though....hmmmm.

Hey, just to be more clear, is this a bolt on (if so, dimensions would be helpful) or a slide in unit?

blupaddler

Conspirator
Rad.

The majority of Callens bolt to the bed rails. But theres some slide ins out there too.

Love your name. I've seen your truck around, tough to miss. Very nice.

Interested.
Just have some questions. I'll PM you my info

nastav

Adventurer
Nice price on a good condition Callen. Still the best classic Baja surf camper of all!
GLWS and if I had a truck it'd fit, it would be sold.

the_bobman

Same Callen Camper, priced to sell-- now $1700

This is that Callen Camper ConKso has posted and raved about in previous posts. I'm his Old Man (aka Pop) who received his hand-me-up Truck and Camper. It's a great camper and a great deal BUT my wife and I already have a nice little travel trailer we intend to use in places more suited to a couple of lazy retirees. Don't plan to do much off-roading as we sail down smooth interstates. Some day we may live to regret it but for now you get the opportunity for this sweet little rig.
You can find it posted on San Diego craigslist-- just search For Sale for "Callen".

I can provide measurements or whatever else you need. Hate to say it but I'm pretty motivated so if you're interested let me know and let's see what we can work out.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
This is that Callen Camper ConKso has posted and raved about in previous posts. I'm his Old Man (aka Pop) who received his hand-me-up Truck and Camper. It's a great camper and a great deal BUT my wife and I already have a nice little travel trailer we intend to use in places more suited to a couple of lazy retirees. Don't plan to do much off-roading as we sail down smooth interstates. Some day we may live to regret it but for now you get the opportunity for this sweet little rig.
You can find it posted on San Diego craigslist-- just search For Sale for "Callen".

I can provide measurements or whatever else you need. Hate to say it but I'm pretty motivated so if you're interested let me know and let's see what we can work out.

Looking for the interior pix not previously posted. I've tried several internet searches for this in SD CL and All I get is the following:

callen cabover camper shell - $1495 San Diego Craigslist .
.. (I don't believe this is yours :smiley_drive:)
forum.expeditionportal.com/.../134516-callen-cabover-camper-shell-1495-San-Diego...
Nov 10, 2014 - (Not mine, San Diego craigslist item) Callen camper on 2004 chrv silverado eight foot bed. camper shell in great condition. Has cabinets on both sides above windows. heavy duty rack on top. only 25K on truck so not used very much. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/4754121109.html.
Callen Camper for 8' bed with ARB Awning, Galvanized walk-on ... Dec 5, 2017
Callen campers back business? Dec 9, 2016
Demise of Callen Campers? Oct 2, 2012
Phoenix camper on Callen flatbed Jan 28, 2009
More results from forum.expeditionportal.com

the_bobman

Thanks Joey, that's the link!

...and I'll be happy to take more pics, answer any questions or get out and measure anything you want. Let me know....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles