New Splitting Maul

ferg101

I need to get a splitting maul. I am 25 and at that point where I am making "life" tool purchases. Mainly ones that are quality and will last compared to borrowing tools or buying the cheapest, one-time use brands.
I was looking for an 8lb maul for under $100. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
check out the Sthil splitting ax. Picture more then an ax less then a full maul. It is a wood splitting machine. It puts all the standard mauls to shame. The ergonomics on it are fantastic, everything is well thought out. Wood handle, but steel wrap around the head.

I figure I have burned about 50 cords of wood in the last 5-10 years. I have used a lot of mauls and axes. This one is hands down the best. About a hundred bucks. worth every cent. Prior to this purchase I would go through at least on if not two of the hardware store mauls. didnt matter brand or handle they were crap. This thing is going strong a few years later.

ferg101

Thanks for the replies everyone.
To get more specific, I would prefer a wooden handle. I haven't had an axe, maul, or sledge with a synthetic handle that was as good of a combo as wood (feeling/balance combined with controlling vibration).
Are splitting axes a relatively modern development as I was unaware of them. Or maybe I live under a rock.

Looking at the performance of splitting axes vs mauls vs wedge/sledge combos, I think the splitting axe performs the best though.

I like the husky and stihl splitting axe both. For the extra $10, the Stihl has an overstrike which is cheaper than a new handle.
I have a main oak trunk to take down that is approx 40' tall x 36".
I think my combo getting the Stihl pro splitting axe, a good high quality splitting wedge and a Wilton bash series 6lb sledge (I bought the bash series for my guys at work and they perform as advertised. Hundreds of overstrikes and no issues).

Geodoc

Adventurer
If getting a splitting maul or wedge, one thing to verify is that it is forged, not cast. I bought a cheap cast splitting maul from Big Box Store (HD) and within a year it was cracking due to the pressure from using it with a forged splitting wedge.

perterra

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies everyone.
To get more specific, I would prefer a wooden handle. I haven't had an axe, maul, or sledge with a synthetic handle that was as good of a combo as wood (feeling/balance combined with controlling vibration).
Are splitting axes a relatively modern development as I was unaware of them. Or maybe I live under a rock.

Looking at the performance of splitting axes vs mauls vs wedge/sledge combos, I think the splitting axe performs the best though.

I like the husky and stihl splitting axe both. For the extra $10, the Stihl has an overstrike which is cheaper than a new handle.
I have a main oak trunk to take down that is approx 40' tall x 36".
I think my combo getting the Stihl pro splitting axe, a good high quality splitting wedge and a Wilton bash series 6lb sledge (I bought the bash series for my guys at work and they perform as advertised. Hundreds of overstrikes and no issues).

Been seeing splitting mauls since I was a kid (I'm 60 now) so modern is subjective. Had good ones and cheap ones, couldnt really tell you a difference in longevity if used for splitting. The older I get the less inclined I am to swing a maul for more than a little kindling to start a fire to get the round wood burning.

You dont have to spend a $100 to get a decent maul that will last you the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I have a Husqvarna 8 lb unit with the synthetic handle. I taught my wife how to split dried elm with it. Enough said.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

ferg101

I know you said you want a wooden handle. But you are doing your self a disservice if you dont atleast consider a Fisker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SD7B/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By far the best splitter I have ever used!
I have their small hatchet for camping and love it.
For some reason though, I can't get over the heritage idea of wanting a wooden handle for something like this though.
If getting a splitting maul or wedge, one thing to verify is that it is forged, not cast. I bought a cheap cast splitting maul from Big Box Store (HD) and within a year it was cracking due to the pressure from using it with a forged splitting wedge.
Any suggestions?
Nice, well-designed forged wedges are expensive.... to the tune of $100 or more which I think is crazy.
Been seeing splitting mauls since I was a kid (I'm 60 now) so modern is subjective. Had good ones and cheap ones, couldnt really tell you a difference in longevity if used for splitting. The older I get the less inclined I am to swing a maul for more than a little kindling to start a fire to get the round wood burning.

I was talking about "splitting axes" being relatively new compared to traditional mauls. I was completely unaware of them.

Luckily I am young, strong and overall pretty fit. With the some exceptions for my bad knee, lack of discs between my lower vertebrae, and propensity for seizures.

I have a Husqvarna 8 lb unit with the synthetic handle. I taught my wife how to split dried elm with it. Enough said.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Their maul?
I want a husqvarna traditional style axe next. Picked one up the other day and liked the feel

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I know you said you want a wooden handle. But you are doing your self a disservice if you dont atleast consider a Fisker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SD7B/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By far the best splitter I have ever used!

I'm going to second this. I've been using a $20 6lbs maul for 3 or 4 years now, and it works great. I had a buddy come help me get some firewood this fall, however, and he had a Fiskar. They're pretty cool. Really lightweight and will annihilate rounds with ease. I'm going to keep an eye out for one on sale. We go through about 5 cords/winter.

ramatl73

Observer
check out the Sthil splitting ax. Picture more then an ax less then a full maul. It is a wood splitting machine. It puts all the standard mauls to shame. The ergonomics on it are fantastic, everything is well thought out. Wood handle, but steel wrap around the head.

I figure I have burned about 50 cords of wood in the last 5-10 years. I have used a lot of mauls and axes. This one is hands down the best. About a hundred bucks. worth every cent. Prior to this purchase I would go through at least on if not two of the hardware store mauls. didnt matter brand or handle they were crap. This thing is going strong a few years later.

I will agree with cdthiker. Stihl makes excellent forestry tools. Stihl is my go-to for heavy duty work and the only option for chainsaws IMO. I will say if you can find an old Bruks log splitting axe or maul, Norlund Log Splitter (very rare, I have one and it chills at the house only), or Kelly splitter you'll be good-to-go. Just next time you're up in the southeastern mountains stop in some of the antique shops. You'll be surprised what you find.

ramatl73

Observer
Stihl is great stuff & available everywhere, But they dont make axes they sell.
If a guy is willing to homework & save a few bucks, They are available from manufacturers dealer without the "Orange tax"

If memory serves me, there axes are made by either Husqvarna or Collins (Mexico).

Lucky j

Explorer
Before hydraulic spliter, we use to split with a chopper. Use to split about 12 to 13 cord a year. Would do it when the wood was frozen in winter.

I would stack the logs side by side in maybe a group of 10 or more and start spliting. Very large one, I would hit them like you would do with rock, drawing a line in the middle then an other blow and the middle and voila.

Still have the axe, and use it when only a cord or about needs spliting. Just love the thing. But hardly split soft wood at all. Just don't use it to burn in fire place or wood stove.

Garant from canada aslo makes good stuff in house. But do not know if any is now coming from over seas. Use to be made on site near quebec city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles