Fuso FG maintenance compared to typical US diesel pickup

Bhoads

Hello, I am curious about the repair and mainenance costs of a Fuso FG as compared to a typical US pickup, such as an F350 or F550 sized truck.

The Fuso is appealing for its gross weight capacity, factory 4wd, cabover engine access, and short size. Fuso builds seem to be in the 20' range, while similar pickup based campers get closer to 25' long, and I am interested in a camper that is as small as possible. We currently have a Provan Tiger XL, which is 16' long, about the length of a regular auto. I'm not ready for something huge!

I would like to hear from Fuso owners about their experience keeping their FG's on the road, and if they feel they cost more to maintain than a regular truck, or less for that matter. I sure like the cabover design, with that great engine access. Routine work looks much easier to me than on a regular US style pickup. As for overall cost, it seems that after SRW and suspension mods, a Fuso wouldn't be much more expensive than an F350/550 or similar truck.

Thanks in advance for the information,
Bill H.
Colorado USA

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hello, I am curious about the repair and mainenance costs of a Fuso FG as compared to a typical US pickup, such as an F350 or F550 sized truck.

The Fuso is appealing for its gross weight capacity, factory 4wd, cabover engine access, and short size. Fuso builds seem to be in the 20' range, while similar pickup based campers get closer to 25' long, and I am interested in a camper that is as small as possible. We currently have a Provan Tiger XL, which is 16' long, about the length of a regular auto. I'm not ready for something huge!

I would like to hear from Fuso owners about their experience keeping their FG's on the road, and if they feel they cost more to maintain than a regular truck, or less for that matter. I sure like the cabover design, with that great engine access. Routine work looks much easier to me than on a regular US style pickup. As for overall cost, it seems that after SRW and suspension mods, a Fuso wouldn't be much more expensive than an F350/550 or similar truck.

Bill H.
Colorado USA

I think that the question most Fuso owners would have for you is - what year Fuso are you considering? I have a 2007 and change the oil every 5000 miles. The filters are strangely expensive, and 2.5 gallons of oil is quite a lot. Other than that I just drive it.

dlh62c

Explorer
An F350/550 will get you tons more power, having more cylinders is a good thing. A Fuso is considered a commercially rated vehicle, sourcing insurance will be problematic.

A ride in a Fuso is good for one's bowels. Serious injury, maybe even death could occur, should one attempt to pick one's nose while on the move.

If your traveling with a significant other, make sure they know what their climbing into.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
An F350/550 will get you tons more power, having more cylinders is a good thing. A Fuso is considered a commercially rated vehicle, sourcing insurance will be problematic.

A ride in a Fuso is good for one's bowels. Serious injury, maybe even death could occur, should one attempt to pick one's nose while on the move.

If your traveling with a significant other, make sure they know what their climbing into.

Dunno, I am able to comfortably pick my nose while driving, but I have aftermarket springs (Deaver) and air seats.

I never had to obtain insurance as a commercial vehicle, I just get the cheap RV insurance since it is classified as a House Car (North Carolina-ese for RV). If it were still a delivery truck not an RV the insurance can be tougher for sure though.

Bhoads

Good comments, thanks. I would probably end up with a newer Fuso, but if I could find a good pre ULSD I would certainly consider it. I would also be going the RV insurance/title route, though when I first purchase the chassis it might be an issue. I guess I could form a company and "it" could buy the truck!
Bill

PS, Jon and Emily I hope you are well on the road to getting things sorted out after that fire. Best wishes to you both!

Last edited:

skippythedog

Observer
I used to be a Toyota Service Manager. I swapped my 07 Tundra for an 07 FG... I use it as a daily driver. It has a dump bed w/ full canvas, rubber floor, small crane in the back and I pop a military shelter on the bed for camping....What drove me over the edge was the retail price for 2 routine jobs; Water pump and Starter R&R in the Tundra....7 hour labor operations each ($1200-$1400 w/ dealer parts)....My diesel FG gets substantially better mileage than the Tundra. FG filters are strangely expensive as noted above... With my FG, I can tilt the cab, sit on the tire, stuff a donut in my mouth and yard out damn near any component without moving......With a car dealer, you pay flat rate but with most truck repair shops, you pay straight time. I've had no repairs thus far. As an example, years ago, my Dodge Diesel rear axle seal job w/ brakes was about $700 at the dealer (5 hours + parts per the book)...The job actually only takes about 1.75 hours for a good mechanic and that's exactly what I paid for that job by taking that truck to a Cummins dealer for the work...they even let me bring my own parts, preferred it even....net cost for that job $225 instead of $700....YMMV...... I love the way my FG handles and drives and I'm in no hurry. It's 5 feet shorter and 4" skinnier than my Tundra. It has the turning radius of a Mini-Cooper...freaking hilarious fun!....the only caveat is that you're sitting right above the tire/vertical acceleration point....which can be mitigated (somewhat) w/ suspension upgrades and good seats. I had a special 4" thick custom, laminated variable density cushion made (per my design) for the comfort of my dog who's with me 100% of the time.......Insurance is available and was $1400 annually as opposed to the Tundras $950 or so...........No brainer for me....never looking back.

Last edited:

Bhoads

....Insurance is available and was $1400 annually as opposed to the Tundras $950 or so...........No brainer for me....never looking back.

How is your Fuso registered (like a regular truck, commercial, etc.), and was it difficult to arrange the insurance?

Thanks for the good info,
Bill

unkamonkey

Explorer
My Mitso is registered as a RV. They gave me a temp policy to drive out there and a woman wandered out to take pictures. "Yep, its a RV". as far as maintaining it, you change the proper things and it just runs. The only thing I have ever had to fix on it was a cracked exhaust manifold. Not sure how I did it and the place in Denver said that it was the first they had ever ordered.
My neighbor almost destroyed a power stroke when the EGR went out but he made up for it when he totally destroyed the engine in his pickup. A neighbor wandered over a I was backing the Mitsu into my yard and he asked me what was in it. "Oh hell, those things run forever" Older diesel mechanic...
Don't know what to say, both engines will run for a long time but something like a power stroke or a dura max is a lot faster on the road.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge

Bill H.
Colorado USA

I'd opt for getting a pre-2010 truck, it'll be less expensive to keep on the road, and much easier to do DIY fixes. Plus it'll have better off road capabilities. Much of that choice depends on exactly what you plan on doing with it, some folks might have a much better fit with the Duonic. The newer generations might well be better on the road than the older ones, top speed, etc. If you're in the lower 48 you'll have access to dealers and shops for all of the various generations, which is a plus. If you're staying in the USA/Canada, then ULSD isn't an issue. There's a decent chance we'll be selling ours and moving back into Unimogs next year, since our home is now outside the FUSO service area.

Cost wise, I've also got an F350 4x4, diesel. It's an older truck, a 1999, so it's hard to make a direct comparison, but it's much less expensive to fix, insure, and keep registered compared to our FG.

Regarding insurance, I use Progressive for full coverage, about $1500 a year. Truck is actually registered as a commercial vehicle instead of an RV - I used it as a flatbed prior to getting the house put on it.

All in all, it's a commercial vehicle. I'll bet that something like an F550 that's the same year or close will be similar costs.

Decent trucks, as long as they fit your needs.

skippythedog

Observer
It's a commercial policy through Progressive, based on a GVW of 10k +....I tried to stipulate that I would be under 10k to no avail....they go by VIN....I didn't look a whole lot further. An inquiry on this forum yielded some comments saying essentially that I should feel lucky and happy that I found that.....keeping my ears open...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles