Vehicle advice

rrflyer

Looking to get something a little larger. 4 people and 1 dog.... possibly 3rd kiddo added soon.

Currently have 4Runner which I love but doesn't have the room for two kids plus the Lab.....

I do like to bird hunt and pull a ATV trailer. Mainly looking for something that can do forest service roads, basic trails etc... we live in Texas so everything's a road trip.

Looking at 4wd suburban, F150 with topper..... possibly 3/4 Diesel.

I've had 4runners for close to 10 years so could use so,e advice.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Find a big 4runner. IE a sequoia. I have been happy with mine. Seats 8 freindly adults or three kids, camping gear and the Dobmerman easily. Oh and I just hauled 24 50lb bags of concrete in one trip. Its just a big 4runner.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Crew Cab truck. (Any) Mine seats 5 adults and 1 kid comfortably. That should fit your family as well. Better yet, crate the dog in the bed.

Skip the diesel, unless you have a specific actual need for it. They aren't happy when they aren't needed. Except the olde 7.3 Ford, and the stinky, wet stacked, carbon chip slobbering, Cummins 6BT5.9 tractor engine. Those old engines don't mind being used as grocery getters at all.

Bojak

Adventurer
Hate to say it, you described what they built the suburban for. Seems like peanut butter to your jam.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Smileyshaun

Observer
1st gen Sequoia!!!!! A 4/3 4Runner
Nice thing is the third row actually has room for a adult plus it doesn't feel nearly as big as it is , only slightly bigger then a newer 4Runner and v8 power
Btw I have one already set up for over landing for sale

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a second gen Tundra and it's just a Sequoia with a bed. Crewmax has a huge cab, but very short bed. Not nearly the "truck" that my Dodge or old GMC is, but it's fast and comfortable, very thirsty. I'd suggest at least looking at a Power Wagon or Ram 1500 crew cab. If those seem like too much truck, consider the Ram EcoDiesel. Good for long highway runs.

D

Deleted member 9101

3.5 ecoboost F150 super crew all day long.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I am avoiding anything with an EcoBoost, because complexity leads to failure, and repairs down the road will be expensive. I keep my trucks a long time. And I don't want anything with aluminum panels. Even though my son works for Ford. But that's just me.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Never seen a semi-truck up close eh? Or an Audi. Or a boat. Or an Airplane soaked in deicer.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Never seen a semi-truck up close eh? Or an Audi. Or a boat. Or an Airplane soaked in deicer.

I have, and Jaguars too. It was, in fact, an Audi that put me over the edge on aluminum panels, especially for a truck that gets used as a truck..

rayra

Expedition Leader
4 and a dog? Get a Suburban. 2500 if you can find it, particularly if you'll be towing anything regularly. See the top couple links in my sig.

Was in the same boat and had a crew cab z71 before I had the three kids. I bought a 4x4 conversion van as my designated road trip vehicle. Too big to be a daily driver though. That worked great for a while.......miles got up there and was tired of paying for third car expenses and not enough power to tow long distances. Took the truck on a camping trip and determined it was just fine.....a little better cause of mileage and I could carry more stuff. Just got rid of truck and van and bought a new......crew cab z71 last week. Kids are 7, 5, and 3. Probably get a topper for it soon. A lot more custom options for the truck.

As a kid my dad had various 2wd suburbans and they work well, but they cost too much in today's market and the truck can tow more, has higher payload, and seem to last longer. They also seem a bit large for daily driving, but each to their own. Was seriously considering a 3/4 ton suburban, but they are a gas hog and don't tow anymore than a 1/2 ton truck.

Dalko43

Explorer
Sequoia sounds like a good bet. Enough space inside, good towing power. I have a 4runner as well; great truck, but for carrying multiple dogs, game meat and hunting gear, it isn't the ideal rig. If you want the utility of a bed, Tundra, F-150, Ram 1500 all seem like decent options. Ford's 3.5l turbo v6 seems reliable enough; they get great mpg's when unloaded, but don't seem to do that much better than naturally aspirated V8's when loaded.

3/4 ton, gasoline or diesel, seems like an overkill for your purposes, but are still very good options if you really want one and understand their pro's/con's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94