Crowd Sourcing - winter jacket/shirt

sargeek

Adventurer
Greetings - I having difficulty finding a band of clothing that found on the internet - but can find now.

It is a trekking shirt that is designed to get wet when hiking, and uses your body heat to keep wicking the moisture out to the surface of the shirt. The theory is that you wear very few layers under it, and you generally don't wear a shell over it unless it is completely nasty out. The shirt is really more of anorak that hangs low covering. For really cold weather they make a parka out of the same material that forms a system.

If a remember correctly - its a synthetic material, that's been around for a while.

I just cannot remember the brand. The reviews from the people who have them all rave about it, and are super sad when it needs to be replace. Its about $185 -$200 price point.

Any help or direction would be great!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The fabric is linsey-woolsey

40c6690b246c5978332e7945e0be71ab.jpg

sargeek

Adventurer
Paddler Ed - nailed it! That is super fantastic.

Anyone with meaningful experiences with the stuff? The people who seem to use seem to swear by it?

Thanks again - I will be able to sleep tonight

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Special 6 jacket appeals to me. I volunteer for SAR in my county and nobody gets lost in the mountains unless it's cold and rainy....

The sizing doesn't look particularly friendly for a tall guy that lifts weights though. I've sent them a query about sizing. I'm 6'5" and built like a pro football tight end.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I've been using Pile/Pertex stuff since about 2000, and I love it. Have 3 jackets (1x Montane, 2x Mardale - neither of whom still make them), and the wife has a few as well. In terms of what they've been used for, here's a quick list:
-winter kayaking: took a swim in the River Thames when learning to play at one of the weirs; soaked to the skin, but was still warm and the Montane started to dry about 10 mins later due to the warmth that was kept inside it. Later on I used to use it under my drysuit as well depending on what I was doing - if I was static coaching and standing in the water, then yes, it was in there...
-Cross country skiing
-Outdoor Activity instructor: More standing around than you could shake a stick at, in all weathers, and you stayed warm in them all the time
-Walking and mountain biking: this was mainly my original Montane, as it was built with the thinner fleece. The Mardales are all a bit warm for that, and were used for outdoor activity work for that reason.

I still have one here in Aus with me, and it gets used quite often in the winter when I'm working outside... I wouldn't be without.

In terms of Hilldwellers question, the Special 6 should be available in a suitable size... there's a reason they come in green and black... When I worked in Outdoor retail in Salisbury, we always had a good stock of green and black gear....

Paramo? I've never used it, but worked with enough people who loved it. Certainly some interesting ideas in it, but the care can be a bit trickier than normal.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
From Buffalo's office in the UK

USA
Wyoming Buffalo Distribution Co
811 N. Main Street, Sheridan, WY, 82801
Tel: 1-573.673.9357.
www.buffalosystemsusa.com

The Special 6 still looks a bit small in a 48 for me. I've got a 50" chest resting, gets bigger after a workout, and my waist is 36"-ish. My arms are fairly long and there's a good deal of shoulder meat...
Wish they were at retailers. It's a hassle and disappointment to order things and then have to return them.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The Special 6 jacket appeals to me. I volunteer for SAR in my county and nobody gets lost in the mountains unless it's cold and rainy....

The sizing doesn't look particularly friendly for a tall guy that lifts weights though. I've sent them a query about sizing. I'm 6'5" and built like a pro football tight end.

Can you dance like Travis Kelce?

sargeek

Adventurer
So yes - I am with Hilldweller: I am 6’5” and 230. I get very nervous about UK sizing. I am very interested in the concept. I need to find a retailer who has good return policies until I find a correct fit.

The old school material seems very smart and usable. The users who have them seem to keep the and use them for a long time. 10+ Year’s seems like a lifetime in outdoor gear.

I am have to take a weekend drive to Wyoming.

sargeek

Adventurer
Similar Products

I suppose that the idea is similar to the products made by Wiggy's:

Again it would be fun to get some of their stuff and give it a try. They supposedly make a lot of the items in military survival kits used in Alaska.

$300 for a -60 sleeping bag does not seem super crazy. All the clothing is a new line from what I remember them having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra