Debating moving from a 100 series to a Titan Pro-4x

I've been driving a 2004 100 series for the last few years. While its been very reliable, the back seat is pretty tight. Since I need my seat all the way back only my 3yo has adequate space. Anyways, I have been admiring the 1st gen Titans since they came out, and am debating a move.

Most of my off roading consists of exploring forest roads in the Nicolet and Chequamegon national forests. The Titan stands out compared to other full size trucks due to its boxed frame, selectable locker, and amenities. The biggest benefit is that since its "only" 225" long, I can probably fit it in my garage. That's not going to happen with the Ford or GM alternatives.

I would be looking at 2010+ and most likely 2014-2015 since they're coming off lease at the moment. Mods would be at a minimum, maybe a diff skid, rock rails since the breakover angle sucks, 295/70 tires, etc.

Has anyone made a switch like this? From my research, it appears gas mileage will be very similar with my current vehicle, while giving me modern amenities and lots more space.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
You're comparing apples to oranges. Amazing off-road SUV vs. Full sized Pick-up. You really have to ask yourself if you feel like you can make the switch to an open bed? Would you need to secure cargo back there? If so, how do you plan on doing that? If you can find a used Titan with a camper shell on it, you could save a couple thousand clams, if not, you are looking at spending at least $1000 to have a secured bed. Nissan's are extremely underrated trucks in my opinion, and I'm glad to hear a Toyota guy thinking of making the switch. My advice: be honest with yourself, and decide if you need the bed or not.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I like my Pro 4X and solved the storage problem with a Decked system. Yes it costs money but leaves the bed more usable compared to a canopy and cheaper.

IMG_1438.jpgIMG_1772.jpg

The open bed (roll cover) is a big part of why I'm thinking about switching. I got a small buck a few weeks back, and if my FIL hadn't come through with a hitch platform, I would have had to carry it on the inside. Being able to carry big and/or dirty things would be nice. Getting a load of soil or firewood without destroying the interior is the main goal. I don't have big storage needs for day-to-day, and think the underseat and back compartment should cover me. I was looking at the dodge ram's due to their ram boxes, but they have nothing for payload (only 875 lbs in one configuration I saw) and don't come with a locker.

I know the 100 series will be a lot more capable off road, but an off-road capable truck is better aligned to my needs. The relative compactness of the Titan, combined with the locker will hopefully give me 80% of the capability of the 100 series, while being a better overall vehicle for me.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The open bed (roll cover) is a big part of why I'm thinking about switching. I got a small buck a few weeks back, and if my FIL hadn't come through with a hitch platform, I would have had to carry it on the inside. Being able to carry big and/or dirty things would be nice. Getting a load of soil or firewood without destroying the interior is the main goal. I don't have big storage needs for day-to-day, and think the underseat and back compartment should cover me. I was looking at the dodge ram's due to their ram boxes, but they have nothing for payload (only 875 lbs in one configuration I saw) and don't come with a locker.

I know the 100 series will be a lot more capable off road, but an off-road capable truck is better aligned to my needs. The relative compactness of the Titan, combined with the locker will hopefully give me 80% of the capability of the 100 series, while being a better overall vehicle for me.

Trailer?

That would solve many of the hauling issues, but the backseat of the 100 is simply tight. The Titan has 13" more space in the second row which is handy with a kid and dog. I don't have any use for a third row either.

neil d

I have a 2011 Pro-4x with about 90k on the clock. This is my second Titan. It is not my daily driver, but more of a weekend warrior.

I love all aspects of the truck, but especially the off-highway capability. I like to spend weekends in the national forest and it is more than capable there. It's been to Death Valley twice, and handled moderately technical trails with aplomb. The 4 lo gearing is excellent, and I only needed the locker once, but boy, did I need it. Heading to Mojave Road this spring, and I know the truck will do great.

It does great with all my other truck stuff, too...hauls a 5k lb travel trailer up Sierra mountain passes, good payload in the bed (even though it is a bit short), and plenty of room for the family. The rear passenger compartment is huge, so I have no need for additional covered storage. I love having the open bed for random stuff like backpacks, coolers, dog crates, muddy boots, etc.

Just got new tires and front struts, and found out I needed a new steering rack as well. Not sure if this is a standard wear issue on this truck, but bit the bullet and got it done. Hopefully I'm good for the next 100k.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I had an Xterra Off-Road (precursor to Pro-4x) with the elocker and loved it. Do you guys know if the Pro-4x gets any kind of factory lift over the regular titan? I believe the Xterra and Frontier each got a 1" lift to fit bigger tires, but I can't tell if the Titan did. I know it has bigger tires that the normal one though.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I had an Xterra Off-Road (precursor to Pro-4x) with the elocker and loved it. Do you guys know if the Pro-4x gets any kind of factory lift over the regular titan? I believe the Xterra and Frontier each got a 1" lift to fit bigger tires, but I can't tell if the Titan did. I know it has bigger tires that the normal one though.

My wife has a 2010 Titan SV Crew Cab and sitting side by side they're pretty close to the same height. If there's any difference I'd chock it up to tread depth/pattern more than anything else.

Thanks for the head's up. The stock size on the Pro-4x are 275/70R18, which is incidentally the same size I have on my cruiser. I'd like to go up to 295/70R18, to gain a little more ground clearance.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I have a 2011 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC that is moderately built with a 3.0" suspension lift, 35x12.50" BFG ATs, ARB front Bumper w/ Warn M12000 winch, Ruenell rear bumper, RRO rock sliders and Leer camper/topper. I am the original owner and it has been a great truck. I have considered selling it on occasion, however I always decided to keep it. The only complaint is the fuel economy, or lack thereof, however it is a 1/2 truck after-all. Several years ago I almost purchased a well-built 1999 Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser and upon test driving the LC, I was shocked at how anemic the 4.7L V8 felt compared to my Titans 5.6L V8. The size of the vehicle takes some getting used to but is worth it to have the convenience and payload of the bed which I have covered by a camper topper so it is weather proof.

Cheers

Yeah, while durable the engine is not powerful. I'm working with a stomping 235 hp in mine. 320 torques isn't bad and the 5-speed in the 2003+ saves it, but no one will say its overpowered. Considering the Titan CC and the 100 series weigh almost the same, the extra 80hp will be very welcome. I believe the Titan is rated for slightly better MPG too.

Do you get any rub with your lift and tires? From what I've read the 2008+ are better suited to the larger tire sizes, but I haven't found anything conclusive. I would prefer to stay narrow, like a 285/75 or 295/70, which should help too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles